Prometheus Forum
We are the Gods now
Interview with Ridley Scott on BBC, admits movie was cut.
  • journeymanjourneyman  (3 like this)
    Colonist

The film is violent and tense but Sir Ridley - who has been an
    outspoken critic of the current rules of film ratings - insists he cut
    as much he could to open the film to a wider audience.

"It has to be be about the movie, so I've made concessions. There's a moment where you don't want to harm the movie.

But he acknowledges its a case of simple economics and getting an 18 certificate "could be the difference of $80m or more".

"It isn't real - I have monsters. Like the monsters in Lord
    of the Rings, for kids they were pretty scary but they got a PG-13
    because their blood was black, that's rubbish".

FULL INTERVIEW: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-17701436

• journeymanjourneyman  (2 like this)
    Colonist
    Could we see more gore and extra visceral scenes restored for a future release?
  • StasisInterruptedStasisInterrupted  (5 like this)
    Colonist
    They will release a director's cut blu-ray after every last one of us has ordered the standard blu-ray and not before! Gotta drain us of all our money. lol
    Stasis: Interrupted ... Fire In Cryogenic Compartments ... Repeat ... Fire In Cryogenic Compartments
  • journeymanjourneyman  (1 like this)
    Colonist
    I might hold off on buying the Blu Ray until such time as we get a DC.

Although... if everyone does that they may not deem sales high enough to warrant a DC.

Tricky.
  • TerraformerTerraformer  (11 like this)
    Biggus_Diccus
    25 years later, "Prometheus Final Cut' will be released
    Any views, opinions or comments by Terraformer are not those of Prometheusforum.net and purely for entertainment purposes only and not to be taken seriously and not to be read by anyone.
  • journeymanjourneyman  (8 like this)
    Colonist

25 years later, "Prometheus Final Cut' will be released

In a box set with the 7 other versions.
  • XenaVitaXenaVita  (3 like this)
    Colonist
    I want the directors cut in theatres!
    Fuck Tha Police
  • journeymanjourneyman  (9 like this)
    Colonist
    Finally the "is Vickers a robot" question will be answered because Janeck leaves an origami unicorn in her escape pod.
  • StasisInterruptedStasisInterrupted  (1 like this)
    Colonist
    For all we know there will NEVER be a director's cut, but we can hope.
    Stasis: Interrupted ... Fire In Cryogenic Compartments ... Repeat ... Fire In Cryogenic Compartments
  • seanmlseanml  (1 like this)
    Colonist
    i thought the cinematic version was Ridley's directors cut?
  • WintergreeneWintergreene  (1 like this)
    Colonist

For all we know there will NEVER be a director's cut, but we can hope.

Yes, there may never be one unless they release on in the next few years.   Ridley is in his seventies!
  • SheldorSheldor  (2 like this)
    Colonist
    Let's do a quick check of Ridley's latests: American Gangster: Director's Cut, Kingdom Of Heaven: DC, BHD: extended cut.

Plus, Kingdom Of Heaven and American Gangster pretty much had the DC very fast after those were released on DVD (not sure if it was as soon as the DVD hit though).
  • burkeburke  (3 like this)
    Colonist
    seanml said:

w

You are correct, but Ridleys business talk doesnt inspire hope that he got the cut that he wanted. We are clutching at straws though trying to mask our disappointment.

Finally the "is Vickers a robot" question will be answered because Janeck leaves an origami unicorn in her escape pod.

In the sequel Vickers eerges from beneath the juggernaut and copulates with the new Xeno to create a super replicant xeno mash up.
    You're going out there to destroy them, right?
    That's the plan. You have my word on it.
  • journeymanjourneyman  (1 like this)
    Colonist
    seanml said:

So he said... but then he's just admitted it was cut.

I can see what he's saying though. The theatrical cut of a movie will always be the directors cut because it is the cut that the director has passed for distribution. Even if the MPAA, BBFC, etc demand cuts he is the one to do that and he then sends it back so whatever we were presented with is what the director finally decided he was happy with for that rating.

It wouldn't be a good tactic to say "Oh by the way, I had to remove stuff to avoid an 18" when this was being advertised... people would be loathe to see an edited movie.
  • NautilusNautilus  (1 like this)
    Colonist
    Well I guess we was hoping that because this was Ridley Scott sci-fi the studio may have given him some breathing space. 

I'm starting to wonder what really happened with this film, starts off as two films, but only one is given the go ahead, Lindelof is bought in to change the script, film is cut down to two hours.

I feel bad for bad mouthing him if this is the case.
  • Brian_O_BlivionBrian_O_Blivion  
    Lazer_Brain

"It isn't real - I have monsters. Like the monsters in Lord
    of the Rings, for kids they were pretty scary but they got a PG-13
    because their blood was black, that's rubbish".

I love it, such a sense of indignation.

I think he's right though, there were at least several beheadings and impalements that would have possibly got LOTR a higher rating if the blood had come across even the darkest shade of crimson.
  • CarneCarne  (1 like this)
    Colonist
    He definitely did not cut this down to 2 hours himself, Fox ordered him to. They want a short movie because that guarantees more money. If Ridley had said no they could have refused to fund and release the movie.
  • UBIKUBIK  
    Colonist
    Speaking about blood being red or black...have a look at this scene from Ridley Scott's The Duellists made in 1977:

http://www.metacafe.com/watch/8595645/horseback_scene_from_the_duellists_1977/

At about 1 mins mark, a lot of red blood spilling from Harvey Keitel's head. Seems to me that Scott loves gory result from the beginning. LOL.
  • VisionistVisionist  
    Panton_Vel_Nusquam
    The Duellists looks awesome. I'll have to get hold of it.
    I'm the man who gets to fly around in a helicopter with a gun.
    You call me MUFWIG.
    Mother Fucker What's In Charge.
  • HephaestusHephaestus  
    Colonist

I missed this... What?
    Things fall apart, the centre cannot hold; mere anarchy is loosed upon the world.
  • HephaestusHephaestus  (2 like this)
    Colonist

Carne said:

He definitely did not cut this down to 2 hours himself, Fox ordered him to. They want a short movie because that guarantees more money. If Ridley had said no they could have refused to fund and release the movie.

Avatar, Titanic, Lord of the Rings... All in the Top 5 highest grossing films ever, all at least 3 hours long.
    Things fall apart, the centre cannot hold; mere anarchy is loosed upon the world.
  • NautilusNautilus  
    Colonist
    @Hepthaestus  Blade runner joke.
  • NautilusNautilus  (3 like this)
    Colonist

Carne said:

Avatar, Titanic, Lord of the Rings... All in the Top 5 highest grossing films ever, all at least 3 hours long.
    None of those films where rated R as far as I recall.
  • burkeburke  (1 like this)
    Colonist
    Nautilus said:

Well I guess we was hoping that because this was Ridley Scott sci-fi the studio may have given him some breathing space. 

I'm starting to wonder what really happened with this film, starts off as two films, but only one is given the go ahead, Lindelof is bought in to change the script, film is cut down to two hours.

I feel bad for bad mouthing him if this is the case.

Either they wanted one movie in order to be a sure banker OR as i think they deliberately made it ambiguous in order to pave the for another movie .
    You're going out there to destroy them, right?
    That's the plan. You have my word on it.
  • HephaestusHephaestus  (1 like this)
    Colonist
    Nautilus said:

Carne said:

None of those films where rated R as far as I recall.

That was discussing running time, not ratings!
  • UBIKUBIK  
    Colonist
    Scott himself said that he was obviously influenced by Stanley Kubrick's Barry Lyndon when making The Duellists. Kubrick's influenced a lot of film-makers, even Prometheus has a lot of 2001: A Space Odyssey influences. 

Welcome!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Login with Facebook Sign In with Google Sign In with OpenID

Forum Tips

• Bookmark All Discussions to catch all of the action.
• Introduce yourself here.
• Click your username for more options.
Dismiss to unsticky discussions.
Imgur for hosting images.
• Email: prometheusforum@gmail.com
• More forum tips.