Prometheus Forum
We are the Gods now
Aliens: Colonial Marines
  • Sticky_FingazSticky_Fingaz  
    NukSuKow

I'm not worried. They delayed until Feb '13 for a reason. If the game looks shit in 6 months time I'll start to worry.

Yeah, I've commented on this before but I think it's actually good they backed it up. Shows they really want to get it right unlike a lot of the developers these days. From watching the interviews it seems like they really want to get it spot on in terms of relating to the ALIEN universe and they seemed pretty psyched to do so.

It's Gearbox... They did the Duke Nukem follow up. Only took then 12 f**king years. We'll be lucky if we get ACM before we're old, grey and back in nappies.

To be fair Gearbox only came in at the end of Duke and did just enough to get it finished. They were working on an already shitty product so they were pushing uphill on that one.
    You read it. I thought it was clear.
  • journeymanjourneyman  
    Colonist

I guess I just loved Duke Nukem 3D so much that anything they came out with after just wasn't going to live up to expectations.

It was pretty much the first FPS that I really loved. There were a couple of add on packs you could get to expand the game too and it was the first time I had encountered a level editor so you could make your own! THAT was tricky to get used to but I actually managed to make some good ones eventually!
  • VodiVodi  
    Predator
    Gearbox announces that the as yet unreleased Wii U will get the "Best-Looking Version of Aliens: Colonial Marines"

http://kotaku.com/5913484/the-wii-u-will-get-the-best+looking-version-of-aliens-colonial-marines-says-gearbox
    Dave, this conversation can serve no purpose anymore. Goodbye.
  • TerraformerTerraformer  
    Biggus_Diccus
    lol a PS3 vs XBOX360 debate. Im an enlitist. i had a gaming PC with £1,200 worth of upgrades and systems onto it. consoles are no match for these kind of machines and no where near as equall

but unfortunately its damaged so im playing a PS3 at the moment. the game i usually play on it is BF3 or fight night champions or dead island.

anyone interested in a bit of cokfighting or team playing please add me SCOTTISH__NUTJOB. mind thats two _ before the nutjob.

we all need to get a PS3 party started for aliens colonial marines
    Any views, opinions or comments by Terraformer are not those of Prometheusforum.net and purely for entertainment purposes only and not to be taken seriously and not to be read by anyone.
  • TopgunTopgun  (1 like this)
    Colonist
    I'll add you Terraformer, play BF3 (although haven't switched on the ps3 for a while)

My PSN is 

SHAFT_N_BALLS
  • T002TyrantT002Tyrant  (2 like this)
    Colonist
    Not sure if it's been mentioned but Gearbox got access to the Prometheus script so they could implement new mythology and give slight winks to people, as one of the levels is the Engineers' derelict craft! Can't wait to see what nods are in there!
  • VodiVodi  
    Predator
    I'll purchase BF3 soon for PS3, so count me in on a few games when I do so!
    Dave, this conversation can serve no purpose anymore. Goodbye.
  • HeadacheHeadache  
    Colonist

Bearing in mind the spoilers from the advanced screening in France, sounds like the new monsters could really diversify the enemy range if used in this game.

I've always found the AVP games too limited in scope, so wasn't too excited about this could be the ticket!

• AngelsDontBurnAngelsDontBurn  
    Colonist
    I can't wait for this game at all, I've been dying for it ever since the PS2 version was announced.  For awhile I was concerned because I have a few old co-workers that have worked / are working on it and the last time I talked to them about it they didn't say many good things.  Fortunately that was a year or so ago and with the game getting as much pressure and attention as it is, it has to be at least decent.  I mean, the footage we've been seeing as of late looks pretty solid to me and they still have quite a bit of time to iron out bugs and make some tweaks.
  • AngelsDontBurnAngelsDontBurn  (1 like this)
    Colonist
    Speaking of!  New Collector's Edition picture and information! 

• journeymanjourneyman  (1 like this)
    Colonist
    I quite simply MUST own that powerloader figure... "Sir, here is a cheque with my name on it. Write down any number on this piece of paper and I will pay it."
  • journeymanjourneyman  
    Colonist

I can't wait for this game at all, I've been dying for it ever since the PS2 version was announced.  For awhile I was concerned because I have a few old co-workers that have worked / are working on it and the last time I talked to them about it they didn't say many good things.  Fortunately that was a year or so ago and with the game getting as much pressure and attention as it is, it has to be at least decent.  I mean, the footage we've been seeing as of late looks pretty solid to me and they still have quite a bit of time to iron out bugs and make some tweaks.

I have almost no faith in Gearbox at all and have almost no illusions about how badly this game will suck but I'm going to buy it anyway lol

Also... with the follow up to the Xbox 360 rumoured to be out next christmas if the game is being delayed, why not just delay it further and just skip the 360 + ps3 versions? They'll be old hardware soon after release!
  • AngelsDontBurnAngelsDontBurn  
    Colonist

I have almost no faith in Gearbox at all and have almost no illusions about how badly this game will suck but I'm going to buy it anyway lol

Also... with the follow up to the Xbox 360 rumoured to be out next christmas if the game is being delayed, why not just delay it further and just skip the 360 + ps3 versions? They'll be old hardware soon after release!

Personally I feel that there are far worse developers than Gearbox, sure they may not the best but I certainly wouldn't call them terrible by any means.  Majority of the time they're getting flack for the whole Duke Nukem Forever thing, and I think it's sad because their goal was to tweak the game and release it, and that's what they did.  I enjoyed Borderlands and didn't think Brothers In Arms: Hell's Highway was all that bad, but that's just me.

I'm sure it has something to do with the fact that the games have been worked on this entire time and they want to release them for the most part.  Well and I highly doubt dev kits for the new consoles (other than Wii U of course) aren't even available at the moment.  They've already said that the Wii U version is going to be the best looking console version of the game, which makes sense because it uses new tech.

I'm just kind of bummed at the moment cause it looks like this Collector's Edition isn't going to be available on PC.  I was kind of hoping I could just buy the PC and Wii U version, if it's worth it of course. 
    :D
  • KanessonKanesson  
    Colonist

I quite simply MUST own that powerloader figure... "Sir, here is a cheque with my name on it. Write down any number on this piece of paper and I will pay it."

Konami made a set of ALIENS SAGA figures and vehicles, I have their Powerloader among other figures...that Powerloader looks pretty much exactly the same. The figures were small, but what they lacked in size they made up for in exquisite detail. If anyone else has a set of these Japanese Replicas, you know what I'm talking about.
    "They say every Atom in our bodies was once part of a Star, maybe I'm not leaving...maybe I'm going home"
  • SargeISdeadSargeISdead  
    Colonist
    That collector's edition looks awesome, I wonder how much that will be?? I really wish they would do something like that for the new Transformers game coming out.
    Hudson: "Maybe we've got em' demoralized..."
  • $99.99!
  • TheGoldenArmyTheGoldenArmy  
    Colonist
    Hi guys, apologies I haven't read the entire thread, so may be duplicating what others have said, or missed points

I see people commenting about whether it's a good game or not.  What I'd like to add is about the plot.

From the trailers I gather it's set on Hadley's Hope, with some bits happening on the Sulaco.  Hello.  Hadley's Hope got nuked.  There isn't even a cockroach alive there now.  The entire colony was destroyed so there aren't any corridors for the marines to run around anymore.  Also the atmospheric processor blew.  i.e the marines cannot breath down there anymore.  As for the Sulaco, it may have got destroyed in Alien 3 (or maybe it didn't if that film isn't canon).  But in any case there were no Aliens on the Sulaco for marines to fight.  The only one who got on board was the Queen, and she didn't stay long.

In other words the story of this game makes no sense at all.
    NukSuKow
    Welcome Golden Army, thanks for your thoughts. From what Gearbox are saying, the Atmosphere processor did blow and took out most of the colony in the process. It is possible they build it stronger then than they would now, but they do promise an explanation.

As for the Sulalco, you're right there weren't any xeno on board in Aliens. This is part of the mystery the developers allude to which I suspect has something to do with the USMC vs WY aspect of the story. They've hinted at things, but nothings confirmed at this stage.
  • Sticky_FingazSticky_Fingaz  (2 like this)
    NukSuKow
    New footage from E3

Colonist
    Thanks for the clip Fingaz.

I'm crazy about Aliens.  Watched it more than any other film as a teen.

I really want to like this game, but it has too many issues.  So Gearbox are promising explanations of how Hadley's Hope is still around?  The problem is that they're being forced to explain the inexplicable.

The guy on the video says Fox are trusting them with the true Aliens sequel.  Clearly not.  If Gearbox had been given a free hand they could have invented a new colony to set the adventure on.  Instead some studio exec has insisted that the game has to be "just like Aliens".  Even down to it being set in exactly the same place, and logic be damned.

You can see in the footage that everything is almost identical to the film.  What about innovation?  For better or worse the successive Alien films have re-imagined the creature, slightly altering it's appearance (and it was Cameron that started this, his Aliens are very different to the Scott original).  Why not let Gearbox mix things up too?

Same with the marine tech.  If a power loader exists then it can be weaponised.  There's no reason why the colonial marines couldn't have a battle mech.  They could have improved their armour too, that would explain how they can shotgun Aliens at point blank range and not get hurt. Instead they're still running around in short sleeves to show off their acid proof biceps!

Alien was a film about marines fighting terrifying alien creatures.  That's what this game should have been about too.  Instead it's a game about a film.

NukSuKow
    I agree that innovation and originality has taken the back burner to fan-service.

There are a few variations on the xeno design, but the run of the mill enemy will be the ones we saw in Cameron's Aliens.

If (and that's a big if) they somehow come up with a clever way of explaining how Hadley's Hope isn't a large pile of rubble, it makes sense to go back and see what went on down there.

Selling a believable story will be the biggest roadblock though. If they can't, the whole thing will fall apart, no matter how good the gameplay is.
    Colonist
    Re Hadley's Hope still standing, the explanation will be that the atmospheric processor had a failsafe that kicked in at the last minute.  Instead of tearing everything apart the blast was channeled upwards into the atmosphere, so it only looked like there was total destruction from above.

How come's there's a breathable atmosphere down there? They'll say that the processor had done most of it's work already.  It had converted enough gasses for the atmosphere to be self sustaining.

Why isn't the site irradiated?  This will be ignored.

How comes there's a shitload of aliens running around when they all got shot in Aliens?  A team of hundreds of unarmed scientists went there to study the site.  They all got implanted, none were killed outright.  They had no weapons.  No aliens were killed.  Now there's another alien army for the marines to fight.
  • Sticky_FingazSticky_Fingaz  (1 like this)
    NukSuKow
    Could be worse, could've put an egg on the sulalco. :P
  • TheGoldenArmyTheGoldenArmy  (1 like this)
    Colonist

Could be worse, could've put an egg on the sulalco. :P

Lol!
    ;)

Welcome!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Login with Facebook Sign In with Google Sign In with OpenID

Forum Tips

• Bookmark All Discussions to catch all of the action.
• Introduce yourself here.
• Click your username for more options.
Dismiss to unsticky discussions.
Imgur for hosting images.
• Email: prometheusforum@gmail.com
• More forum tips.