Prometheus Forum
We are the Gods now
Prometheus English-language Reviews
  • roguedesignerroguedesigner  (3 like this)
    Colonist
    As more reviews come out the general trend is definitely towards the favourable - and in many cases more insightful and considered. There's a lot to be said for applying a little thought to what you have just seen before committing words to paper.
  • WintergreeneWintergreene  (3 like this)
    Colonist

Nice! All the reviews are really starting to come together to create a complete picture.  Most are giving it 4/5, Fassbender and Rapace are great (as expected), it's a beautiful, suspenseful picture that leaves you with questions. My kind of film.  I'm glad this is all coming together and this film is delivering.  

It wasn't all hype!

• DeclanHDeclanH  
    Colonist
    That Variety review seems, at this stage, to be sticking out like a sore thumb...which the critic needs to suck.
    "Fingers. Fingers!"
  • WintergreeneWintergreene  (3 like this)
    Colonist
    DeclanH said:

That Variety review seems, at this stage, to be sticking out like a sore thumb...which the critic needs to suck.

There's always one that ruins it.....
  • DeclanHDeclanH  
    Colonist
    Make that TWO sore thumbs...

"Buffeted by a lack of suspense, threadbare characters, and a very poor script, the stunning visuals, gloopy madness, and sterling Fassbenderiness can’t prevent Prometheus feeling like Alien’s poor relation." 
    "Fingers. Fingers!"
  • SheldorSheldor  (5 like this)
    Colonist
    This review by Empire is utter bullshit, seriously. However, I'll admit that I was surprised that Vickers, or Weyland turned out to be such minor characters. 
  • clemensclemens  
    Colonist
    Empire's review is very similar to Variety's in many ways. Ian Nathan really loathes Lindelof since the disappointing Lost finale (his review in Empire was very angry) - and he is the author of the Alien Vault and therefore a ginormous fan of the original films.

And it seems that the film's move away from pure Alien territority a la Lindelof's rewrite is what has really got his goat this time.

Still, three stars is actually generous given what he wrote about it. Where Peter Bradshaw awarded three stars and reviewed it as a four star film - this is a three star rating for a two star review.
  • roguedesignerroguedesigner  (4 like this)
    Colonist
    DeclanH said:

Make that TWO sore thumbs...

"Buffeted by a lack of suspense, threadbare characters, and a very poor script, the stunning visuals, gloopy madness, and sterling Fassbenderiness can’t prevent Prometheus feeling like Alien’s poor relation." 

That's Ian Nathan, another resident of pseud's corner. Mr. Nathan doesn't like films made after 1940. But he did enjoy Sherlock Holmes: Game of Shadows. Which was fucking shit.
  • DeclanHDeclanH  
    Colonist
    Sheldor said:
    This review by Empire is utter bullshit, seriously. However, I'll admit that I was surprised that Vickers, or Weyland turned out to be such minor characters. 

Nathan's authorship of The Alien Vault indicates his reverence for that film, which is entirely justified. But he seems indecently harsh on Prometheus simply because it ain't Alien. Jesus, it reads like a two-star review! Surprised...and disappointed with Empire on this one.
    "Fingers. Fingers!"
  • BonusituationBonusituation  (1 like this)
    Like_A_Boss
    DeclanH said:

Nathan's authorship of The Alien Vault indicates his reverence for that film, which is entirely justified. But he seems indecently harsh on Prometheus simply because it ain't Alien. Jesus, it reads like a two-star review! Surprised...and disappointed with Empire on this one.

Exactly.  There's probably not a more biased critic out there w.r.t. Prometheus.  So I count his review as very positive.  :))
    We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space.
  • BoudiccaBoudicca  (2 like this)
    Colonist
    And yet again, Fassbender escapes unscathed...
  • Scrawny_BeaverScrawny_Beaver  (5 like this)
    Colonist
    "I ache, therefore I am."
  • DancingDavidDancingDavid  
    LazerBeatz
    In the above article (whatculture), it mentions LV-223 being the same planet as the one in Alien, LV-426--incorrect, no?
    FACTS.
  • RobThomRobThom  
    Colonist

Awesome reviews!!! Feeling much better. Can't wait to see it on the 8th!

Eh.

It would be nice if it gets good reviews just out of respect, but I hope your not hinging your enjoyment of it on what kind of reviews it gets.

I couldn't give to shits less what a self appointed taste maker thinks.
  • CureguyCureguy  
    Colonist
    Don't get me wrong I love Ridley, but all these British reviews are rather glowing when compared to the French and American ones so far. Kind of like they wouldn't dare risk criticizing him simply because he is a native son and English director who has made such a huge impact on Hollywood. I wonder whether they might be biased even though I am finding myself agreeing with their critiques.

"The Weyland corporation funds an expedition for the vessel Prometheus to
    follow the star map to LV-223 – yes, the very same planet from Alien".

And what is going on here?! I though we had this issue resolved. Why is there so much confusion about this? I think he just got confused and made a mistake.
  • fredholmfredholm  (1 like this)
    Colonist
    antovolk said:

"Incongruously backed by an orchestral surge of a score, the film conspicuously lacks the long, drawn-out silences and sense of menace in close quarters that made Alien so elegantly unnerving. Prometheus is one chatty vessel, populated by stock wise-guy types who spout tired one-liners when they're not either cynically debunking or earnestly defending belief in a superior power."

This is really disheartening
  • RobThomRobThom  (1 like this)
    Colonist
    clemens said:

"...and he is the author of the Alien Vault and therefore a ginormous fan of the original films."

Actually I was considering purchasing that book, but after reading some well written user reviews of it on Amazon it seems that there is NOTHING in it that isn't reprinted from the book of Alien, and its also riddled with misspellings of actors and characters and more then a few untruths.

He's not as sophisticated or informed of a fan as you might think he is.

That book sounds like it was an opportunistic rush job by some hack to coincide with Ridley making Prometheus.

Maybe he's mad now because of the reviews it got and because it didn't sell very well.
  • finalmattasyfinalmattasy  (2 like this)
    Colonist
    fredholm said:

antovolk said:

"Incongruously backed by an orchestral surge of a score, the film conspicuously lacks the long, drawn-out silences and sense of menace in close quarters that made Alien so elegantly unnerving. Prometheus is one chatty vessel, populated by stock wise-guy types who spout tired one-liners when they're not either cynically debunking or earnestly defending belief in a superior power."

This is really disheartening

not for me.  I love existential discussions in scary movies.  Like in Alien, when Ripley says, 

"Right. Well, let's talk about killing it. We know it's using the air shafts … will you listen to me, Parker? Shut up!"  

Soooo deep!