Prometheus Forum
We are the Gods now
Misc Film and Television
  • kjohnson26kjohnson26  (1 like this)
    Colonist
    I started this as a general thread since I didn't see anywhere else to put it.

Noboru Ishiguro died this month. I wasn't big on the particular shows he did, but he was influential on the whole anime field. I prefer "Cowboy Bebop" and "Ghost in the Shell" myself.

• ViscalViscal  
    Brometheus
    :o

I didn't even realize. SDF Macross movie is one of my all time favorite anime movies. I still have to sit down and watch Megazone23 and Orguss (I love 80's robot anime).

As for Cowboy Bebop, it was all right to me. It was catchy, had cool characters, sometimes had good stories. But all in all something I wouldn't watch twice.

GITS, I never really got into. I know Jonesy likes it, HAHA.
    I wanna go home and party.
  • VodiVodi  
    Predator
    Some people swear by Cowboy Bebop, and I aren't hating on it, but I found it a little 1 dimensional.

Fun but a little flimsy feeling.

2 of my anime favourites:
    Monster or Berserk*, I feel, have much more depth and more complicated characters and story arcs.

Any fans of Monster or Berserk?

*Berserk also has the best theme tune of anything ever
    ever
    Dave, this conversation can serve no purpose anymore. Goodbye.
  • KanessonKanesson  
    Colonist
    Macross was one of my favourite cartoons as a kid, action and soap opera all at once with some of the coolest Mecha EVER designed, I have the DVD Boxset, always watch it on a rainy day. PATLABOR is another awesome Anime I love. The Japanese and their piloted anthrovehicles(I don't call'em Robots cause Robot implies autonomy)...I wish someone could make an actual operating one-what could be cooler.
    "They say every Atom in our bodies was once part of a Star, maybe I'm not leaving...maybe I'm going home"
  • TerraformerTerraformer  
    Biggus_Diccus
    dumb and dumber 2 is in production with the original directors and JIM CARREY and JEFF DANIELS attached. This im looking foward too
    Any views, opinions or comments by Terraformer are not those of Prometheusforum.net and purely for entertainment purposes only and not to be taken seriously and not to be read by anyone.
  • kjohnson26kjohnson26  
    Colonist
    There already was a "Dumb and Dumberer" as prequel. Does that mean its not canon?
  • VodiVodi  
    Predator

There already was a "Dumb and Dumberer" as prequel. Does that mean its not canon?

Dave, this conversation can serve no purpose anymore. Goodbye.
  • kjohnson26kjohnson26  
    Colonist
    https://www.facebook.com/CagedHeatCasting

Supposedly "Caged Heat" is the code name for "Iron Man 3".
  • ViscalViscal  
    Brometheus
    The Mummy Gets Reboot from Prometheus Writer Jon Spaihts

"I see it as the sort of opportunity I had with Prometheus, to go back to a franchise's roots in dark, scary source material, and simultaneously open it up to an epic scale we haven't seen before." -- Spaihts

http://www.movieweb.com/news/the-mummy-gets-reboot-from-prometheus-writer-jon-spaihts
    I wanna go home and party.
  • aperezNWOaperezNWO  
    Colonist
    That gorgeous british ladies of the 70s in that space suits....

Detachment is our safest attachment
  • kjohnson26kjohnson26  
    Colonist
    Looks like Guy Pearce is going to be busy for awhile- 

• Any word on the character he might play?
    Jonesy you little shit..you're staying right here
  • kjohnson26kjohnson26  
    Colonist
    I saw another report about it being "Killian". I'm not all that up on Iron Man history myself.

Appended:

• Oohh based on an Ellis story, I havent read much about iron man 3 but I dig Shane black and I loved Ellis's Transmetropolitian probably one of my favorite "graphic novels".
  • drxs0drxs0  (2 like this)
    Colonist
    As suggested I am moving this topic (Terra Nova cancellation here).  I am ticked at NBC/Comcast for this.  And this is not the first show Comcast has killed since taking over NBC.  A few years back there was a show called Surface, it had real potential.  And there had been talk about it being backed somewhat by the government, at least till they started talking about genetics and creating life forms.  Seems to me that someone somewhere is hiding something.  I think that somehow Terra Nova was also axed because of secrets.  There excuse was it was too expensive to produce.  Ok maybe it was expensive but there are not that many shows out there that are stimulating and entertaining.  Another Comcast casualty is Eureka.  Syfy is owned by NBC/Comcast.  And it is in its final season(season five).  Even after it had been signed for six seasons.  This cut came shortly after the show went on to discover a new form of space travel. 

I really am not happy with NBC/Comcast right now.  And it makes me wonder who is controlling these people that they cut high rated shows so quickly.  What secrets are they so afraid we (viewers) will discover that we probably don't already know or suspect.  About the only thing I know right now for sure is that Comcast and its NBC/SyFy affiliates are idiots.
    ~In Space No One Can Hear You Scream~
    Colonist
    Seems that Rich Ross' resignation as chairman of Walt Disney Studios is partly being attributed to the failure of "John Carter" which had a $220M write down. 
  • JonesycatpantsJonesycatpants  (1 like this)
    Catpower
    It's a blow for scifi movies, lucky it happened after Prometheus got the go ahead.
  • drxs0drxs0  
    Colonist

Seems that Rich Ross' resignation as chairman of Walt Disney Studios is partly being attributed to the failure of "John Carter" which had a $220M write down. 

I think there is more to that than we are being told.  You just don't resign because one movie failed.  Movies flop all the time.....
  • kjohnson26kjohnson26  
    Colonist
    drxs0 said:

I think there is more to that than we are being told.  You just don't resign because one movie failed.  Movies flop all the time.....

I read an NYTimes article that said he was brought into Disney as a movie industry outsider. The associates he hired/brought in were also industry outsiders. He and his close associates never tried to fit into Hollywood corporate environment and other executives at Disney complained about him. Robert Iger who brought him in withdrew his initial support recently. The "John Carter" failure was probably enough to push Iger ask for Ross' resignation.

Appended:

That $220M write down was a mis-type and should be $200M.

Ross came out of the television industry to be specific. The Disney Channel to be even more specific.

I forgot that Marvel is now associated with Disney and "The Avengers" is being released by Disney.
  • drxs0drxs0  
    Colonist
    It is all about the money now.  To hell with what we want to see.  Personally I used to love Disney.  I even own a few cartoons put out by Disney. I am not a big fan of Pixar Animation even though I love CGI.  I preferred DreamWorks over what Disney was putting out.  How many times can you tell a Buzz Lightyear story and keep it fresh...... :-??

• homer1962homer1962  (1 like this)
    Colonist
    I really liked Flash Forward and was disappointed it got cancelled after one season.
  • kjohnson26kjohnson26  
    Colonist
    drxs0 said:

As suggested I am moving this topic (Terra Nova cancellation here).  I am ticked at NBC/Comcast for this.  And this is not the first show Comcast has killed since taking over NBC.  A few years back there was a show called Surface, it had real potential.  And there had been talk about it being backed somewhat by the government, at least till they started talking about genetics and creating life forms.  Seems to me that someone somewhere is hiding something.  I think that somehow Terra Nova was also axed because of secrets.  There excuse was it was too expensive to produce.  Ok maybe it was expensive but there are not that many shows out there that are stimulating and entertaining.  Another Comcast casualty is Eureka.  Syfy is owned by NBC/Comcast.  And it is in its final season(season five).  Even after it had been signed for six seasons.  This cut came shortly after the show went on to discover a new form of space travel. 

I really am not happy with NBC/Comcast right now.  And it makes me wonder who is controlling these people that they cut high rated shows so quickly.  What secrets are they so afraid we (viewers) will discover that we probably don't already know or suspect.  About the only thing I know right now for sure is that Comcast and its NBC/SyFy affiliates are idiots.

I noticed that a new episode of Eureka aired on SyFy earlier this week. I was surprised since I thought the series finished up last year. Are these episodes that were shot but never aired?
  • KanessonKanesson  
    Colonist
    drxs0 said:

As suggested I am moving this topic (Terra Nova cancellation here).  I am ticked at NBC/Comcast for this. 

Not saying I'm happy about this, but I could see Terra Nova being cancelled a mile away...I doubt it appealed to much people but sci fi viewers, it was expensive to produce(shot on location, CG Dinos, on-location set building, and a small community of extras and minor characters) It would have been lucky to get another season and after they shut the gateway, the writing probably would'na been too great.

I liked it Myself though, not knocking it.

"They say every Atom in our bodies was once part of a Star, maybe I'm not leaving...maybe I'm going home"
  • drxs0drxs0  
    Colonist
    No johnson it has a full fifth season.  The word of cancellation on it came shortly after they signed for a sixth.  It is one of the few shows I would stop everything to watch.  But from what I read they are going to make season 5 better than all the rest of the seasons.  Not that it makes up for cancelling it.

Kane  I know what you mean it was highly expensive.  I am honestly surprised that Sanctuary hasn't been axed yet since there are no sets it is all CGI.  But as far as I know it is still going on.  I am waiting for the new season to be sure.  The one thing about Terra Nova that ticks me off is how they left it.  Come on I wanted to know what was in the Badlands.  I have my theories about the show.....but they are probably wrong.  And if they are right then it would have been more money spent.
    Colonist
    The largest theater chain in China buys AMC theater chain, the 2nd largest US chain.

• Sticky_FingazSticky_Fingaz  
    NukSuKow
    Bound to happen. We'll probably see a lot more Chinese collaborations in future films a la Iron Man 3.
    You read it. I thought it was clear.

Welcome!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Login with Facebook Sign In with Google Sign In with OpenID

Forum Tips

• Bookmark All Discussions to catch all of the action.
• Introduce yourself here.
• Click your username for more options.
Dismiss to unsticky discussions.
Imgur for hosting images.
• Email: prometheusforum@gmail.com
• More forum tips.