Prometheus Forum
We are the Gods now
Are the Prometheus spacesuits based on a Soviet design from the early 60's?!
  • Lethal_MutationLethal_Mutation  (4 like this)
    Colonist
    Science fiction fans from all over the world are eagerly awaiting Prometheus.  Considering that Soviet citizens were behind the Iron Curtain when Alien was released in 1979, you may be surprised to learn that a large number of Russians love both Alien and Ridley Scott.  Like us, Russian fans eagerly await Prometheus by keeping track of the latest news updates.  Recently, I found a Russian Prometheus blogsite that resembles prometheusnews.com.  One article in particular caught my attention.

According to the editor, the spacesuit design in Prometheus is based on the spacesuits from the 1961 Soviet sci-fi movie, Planet of the Storms (Planeta Bur). Read the article below and decide for yourself.

planetofstorms1

I've translated this article into English for the board's consideration:
    It appears that the design of the Prometheus spacesuits is not original but based on spacesuits from the USSR developed in the early 1960's. Spacesuits of a similar design were first shown in the 1961 Soviet science fiction film, Planet of the Storms directed by Paul Klushantsev  with Vladimir Emelyanov and George Zhzhenov in the lead roles. It was purchased by the American studio, Roger Corman Productions.   Roger Corman reedited the movie thus cutting out a large number of scenes. In 1965, Corman released the revised version under the title, Voyage to the Prehistoric Planet.

The Soviet origin of the film was never mentioned.  To add insult to injury, the film's Soviet actors were given English names, thus uncredited for their roles. In 1968, Corman released the film, Voyage to the Planet of Prehistoric Women, which was essentially a second reedited version of Journey to the Prehistoric Planet

Planet of the Storms ??director, Paul Klushantsev may not be recognizable to the (Russian) general public, but among film critics, he's known as the founder of Russian science fiction film shorts.  He is also fairly well known in the west. For example, both Kubrick and Spielberg were influenced by his work. During his visit to the USSR during perestroika, George Lucas called Klushantsev, "the godfather of Star Wars".

In 1992, Robert Skotak (special effects director of Terminator and Aliens) specifically sought out Paul Klushantsev in St. Petersburg.   Klushantsev gave Skotaku descriptions, photos and drawings that illustrated dozens of his movie stunt technology. Skotak used some of Klushantxev's stunt techniques for the filming of the movie Titanic.  In the photo below, you can compare costumes from Prometheus to those from Planet of the Storms. There's little doubt that Rapace and company are sent to conquer space in modernized Soviet spacesuits.

The following are comparison photos:

spacesuitcomp

spacesuitcomp2

Do you believe there Prometheus borrowed from the Klushantsev's designs? 

Before reading the article, I noticed a similarity in the Prometheus 8x8 vehicle and a Soviet BTR-70 troop transport:

vehiclecomparison

But then again, the Prometheus vehicle also resembles the Big Trak toy that I received for Christmas back in 1979:

Russian Prometheus News Site

• BobSagatBobSagat  
    Colonist
    The similarities are curious. But whether or not the designs were a deliberately copy (or "inspired by", to some) is another matter. Interesting nonetheless. Thanks.
    A survivor... unclouded by conscience, remorse, or delusions of morality.
  • To quick lethal I'm working on something simmilar, damn it.
    Jonesy you little shit..you're staying right here
  • To quick lethal I'm working on something simmilar, damn it.

Sorry Jonesy, didn't mean to step on your article.  Surely, it can't be that similar.
  • Yeah its not entirely similar, it's all good I'll just reference your excellent work.
    Jonesy you little shit..you're staying right here
  • ViscalViscal  (2 like this)
    Brometheus
    Maybe you guys can collaborate.

I'm sort of derailing a bit here but, if anything It's more likely the designers took more inspiration from this soviet movie than Mass Effect or any videogame. I don't think a high profile designer like Neville Page (or whoever worked on these suits) would seek something as obvious and trite as videogames for inspiration.  /derail

thanks LM and welcome to the forums!
    I wanna go home and party.
  • i actually prefer the space suits the sovierts wore in that film lol. im starting to get worried. prometheus (set before alien) is starting to look more hi-tech that alien and aliens
    I was an AVP fan like you. . . Till I took an Arrow to the knee!!!!
  • Pn2501Pn2501  
    Colonist
    Wow awesome thread, I think the tank reminds me of "jayce" wheeled warriors cartoon from the 80's
  • wcucarterwcucarter  (1 like this)
    Colonist
    Honestly, I think the conversation went like this:

"Let's make some streamlined unbulky, futuristic space suits.  But we should probably leave the bubble helmets to have some continuity with Alien."

Anything with those requirements is going to end up looking pretty similar to the Russian space suits described.  All of the suits are going to have similar function and requirements, and when stylistic ideas are similar, there are only so many outcomes.  I'd say that this is just a neat coincidence that they look fairly similar.
  • That's spot on Lethal, Planeta Bur was the first film I thought about when I read your thread title
  • NickIsSmartNickIsSmart  
    Flaming_Telepath
    As they say, we live in an age when there's nothing new under the sun. Good article, Lethal, as always.
    "Oh, hi, Mark."
  • aperezNWOaperezNWO  
    Colonist
    My kind of article, thank you!
    Detachment is our safest attachment
  • garov32garov32  
    Colonist
     The bubble helmet is similar to  Planeta Bur. The helmet has more clear glass and it is a bigger helmet with head space for looking down at the ground. The suit itself might be base on the biosuit concept developed by MIT and the space activity suit.  The suits are skin tight suits that uses the elastic fabric to provide pressure on the skin instead air pressure like normal space suits like the Nostromo Suits. These suits have great mobility than the stiff Nostromo suit allowing Shaw and Vickers to run away from the crashing space jockey ship .

http://mvl.mit.edu/EVA/biosuit/index.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Space_activity_suit
  • KolKol  
    Gottteufel

• ViscalViscal  
    Brometheus
    That too. One would certainly question why the back of the helmet needs to be transparent. Nevertheless, I'm siding with this whole homage thing.

Welcome kjohnson!
  • aperezNWOaperezNWO  
    Colonist
    Detachment is our safest attachment
  • ViscalViscal  
    Brometheus
    thanks for the vid.  loved the godzillas in there

Welcome!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Login with Facebook Sign In with Google Sign In with OpenID

Forum Tips

• Bookmark All Discussions to catch all of the action.
• Introduce yourself here.
• Click your username for more options.
Dismiss to unsticky discussions.
Imgur for hosting images.
• Email: prometheusforum@gmail.com
• More forum tips.