Prometheus Forum
We are the Gods now
Zeta2 Reticuli (aka LV-223)
  • deadinspacedeadinspace  (3 like this)
    Colonist

Some facts along with some speculative conspiracy theory info on the wide-binary system:

-- The two stars, Zeta 1 and Zeta 2, are located in the southern constellation of Reticulum and are thus never visible to most of the northern hemisphere on Earth.

-- It's distance is around 39.4 to 39.5 light-years from our sun.

-- Zeta 1 was one of the first stars ever to be used as a solar analog by
    astronomers. Zeta 1 Reticuli is separated from Zeta 2 Reticuli by at least 350 billion miles, or about 100 times the Sun-Pluto distance.

-- Zeta 2 is classed as G-1 with a luminosity of 0.9 (the Sun being l.0). This means that both Zeta 1 and Zeta 2 are very Sun-like and could well possess
    solar systems much like our own.

-- Zeta2 has around 99 to 111 percent of our sun's mass, and 94 to 99 percent of its diameter. The star may be 38 to 126 percent as enriched as our sun with elements heavier than hydrogen based on its abundance of iron.

-- Currently there is no observational evidence of planets in the system, but the Anglo Australian Planet Search is looking for worlds in their classfication system under HD20807.

-- Zeta 2 has an approximate age between eight billion years, about one to three billion years older than our Sun and suggests that any
    life on planets associated with them could be much further along in its
    evolutionary process than we are.

-- On September 20, 1996, astronomers at the European Southern Observatory announced that they had detected possible indications of a giant planet around Zeta2 with around 27 percent of Jupiter's mass, moving in a close inner orbit (0.14 AUs) with a period of 18.9 days. Within two days, however, the discovery announcement was retracted because the detected radial velocity variations could be attributed to the aging star's pulsations (more). In
    any case, the orbit of an Earth-like planet (with liquid water) around Zeta2
    would have to be centered at around one AU -- the orbital distance Earth in the
    Solar System -- with an orbital period of just over a year.

-- Based on the controversial
    analysis of a map
    that was viewed by a couple of Humans and later recalled
    under hypnosis, some UFO conspiracy
    theorists on Earth believe that Zeta2, the brighter component, harbors the base
    of space-travelling beings
    (whom they call Greys").
    Apparently, these Greys have been visiting Earth to abduct humans for research
    and other nefarious purposes. One of their vehicles purportedly crash landed in Roswell, New
    Mexico
    , which the U.S. Government is alleged to have been trying to cover
    up. (On April 1, 1997, PBS aired a NOVA television show called "Kidnapped by UFOs?" in the
    United States, which included the Hill incident -- see transcript.)

• TerraformerTerraformer  (3 like this)
    Biggus_Diccus
    betty hill was right :P
    Any views, opinions or comments by Terraformer are not those of Prometheusforum.net and purely for entertainment purposes only and not to be taken seriously and not to be read by anyone.
  • briantwbriantw  
    Colonist
    39 light years makes more sense than Meredith Vickers' assertion that she had travelled "half a billion miles" (40 light minutes) to get there. I assume that her hiring was more about nepotism than about her understanding of interstellar distances.
  • ARCARC  (1 like this)
    Colonist
    briantw said:

39 light years makes more sense than Meredith Vickers' assertion that she had travelled "half a billion miles" (40 light minutes) to get there. I assume that her hiring was more about nepotism than about her understanding of interstellar distances.

But she can make the Kessel Run in less than 12 parsecs
    "I've seen things you people wouldn't believe..."
  • TheJayTrainTheJayTrain  
    Colonist
    HAH!
    It doesn't mean we're engaged or anything.
  • TheJayTrainTheJayTrain  (1 like this)
    Colonist
    David - "Are we there yet?" Vickers - "TRAVELLING THROUGH HYPERSPACE AIN'T LIKE DUSTING CROPS, BOY!"
    It doesn't mean we're engaged or anything.
  • MustangJeffMustangJeff  
    Colonist

I'm not sure why Sci-Fi shows/movies just can't seem to get it's stellar geopgraphy right?  It doesn't seem to matter what the show or movie it is.  If they start to explain locations or distances, some character is going to say something in the dialogue that causes me to scratch my head.

I don't have a problem with RS/DL putting the event of Prometheus in the same Star system as ALIEN.  

If LV-223 is a moon somewhere in the Zeta Reticuli system, it could be near Zeta Reticuli 1 or Zeta Reticuli 2.  As deadinspace has explained, it's a binary star system with fairly normal stars so there could be quite a few available planets.  What I do have a problem with is the amount of time it takes Prometheus to get there.  In Prometheus we have a 2.5 year trip, but in ALIEN the Nostromo (a tug hauling a refinery) could make the trip in 10 months.  Some have used the explanation that the Nostromo was built later and so is a faster ship, but it's been estimated that the Nostromo was already 20 years old when ALIEN occured.

The Meredith Vickers statement is another good example.  I don't remember hearing her say that in a trailer, but  I might have missed it.  Assuming briantw is correct, why couldn't they have had her say "234 Trillion Miles"?  That would have been accurate and it rolls off the tongue just about as well as "half a billion miles".

One last irritant.  The secret Prometheus Project login was based on HD245409 which is a star 37 Light Years away in the constellation of Orion.  It's not really close to the Zeta Reticuli so what was that all about?

• kjohnson26kjohnson26  
    Colonist
    I think the viral marketing people were allowed a bit of leeway in putting together clues for the web-site puzzles. HD245409 probably has nothing to do with the movie.
  • jeremiah256jeremiah256  
    Colonist
    In defense, Alien and I'm assuming Prometheus are more horror movies in a sci-fi setting. The science has to look good, not get in the way of the story, and convince the average viewer it's logical for such and such to happen.
  • tifosi77tifosi77  
    Colonist
    Could differing travel times have anything to do with where the planets were in their orbital tracks at the time the Prometheus mission was launched compared to when Nostromo visited the system?  I know that just within our own solar system, depending upon where two planets are in relation to one and other when a satellite is launched can mean a difference of months in transit time from Earth to, say, Mars.  Scale that up to interstellar distances, and it could be quite a difference.
    Perfect organism.
  • Dancing_FrogDancing_Frog  (2 like this)
    Colonist

I think the viral marketing people were allowed a bit of leeway in putting together clues for the web-site puzzles. HD245409 probably has nothing to do with the movie.

Misinformation is a valid tactic for maintaining secrecy.
    Rocket Scientist
  • ARCARC  (1 like this)
    Colonist
    As the nice Mr. Scott puts it: "It's not a science lesson, it's a movie" (or thereabouts). There will always be something for us nerds/geeks to criticise - even the bloody obvious. I'm willing to let a few slip by in order to be "scared the shit out of", not that anything scares me much nowadays.
    "I've seen things you people wouldn't believe..."
  • JrwausJrwaus  
    Colonist
    tifosi77 said:

Could differing travel times have anything to do with where the planets were in their orbital tracks at the time the Prometheus mission was launched compared to when Nostromo visited the system?  I know that just within our own solar system, depending upon where two planets are in relation to one and other when a satellite is launched can mean a difference of months in transit time from Earth to, say, Mars.  Scale that up to interstellar distances, and it could be quite a difference.

No, the distance between solar systems is so large compared with the distance across a solar system. If they are traveling interstellar distances in say 2 to 3 years, the time to travel across a solar system would be really small. I haven't done the calculations, but just estimating it looks to me to that it would make little difference. Someone said its in the trillions of miles, which is 1000 times bigger than a billion miles. Anyway, one of the clever bods here might e able to the exact calls.
    It's a bughunt

Welcome!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Login with Facebook Sign In with Google Sign In with OpenID

Forum Tips

• Bookmark All Discussions to catch all of the action.
• Introduce yourself here.
• Click your username for more options.
Dismiss to unsticky discussions.
Imgur for hosting images.
• Email: prometheusforum@gmail.com
• More forum tips.