Prometheus Forum
We are the Gods now
Misc Prometheus Stuff
  • CharismCharism  (1 like this)
    Colonist
    Maybe a new high res photo, revealing a Creature? I'm tired of them spoiling us.

BTW - I don't believe this will be another trailer... but maybe a clip? We haven't got any.
  • JonesycatpantsJonesycatpants  (5 like this)
    Catpower
    http://new.philstar.com/entertainment/796878/a-look-into-prometheus-3d-creating-david

The character of David represents PROMETHEUS's “company man.” An androgynous android with personality defects, David is the eyes and ears of the Weyland Corporation that funds the Prometheus mission. Explains Ridley Scott: “If I had a giant piece of metal [like the Prometheus], I wouldn't send it off into deep space with only computers monitoring it. I don’t care how cleverly they work. I'd have a man on board, and the man would be a company man as Ash was in ALIEN.”

“He's not quite one of us,” confirms Executive Producer Michael Ellenberg. “There's a bit of Rutger Hauer and a bit of Ian Holm, but this is a very different spin, too. He's very smart and sophisticated, but also very young and if the beings they find are beyond good and evil, he may not fully understand good and evil. He's working his way through it in terms of his own consciousness and deciding whether he has an agenda or not.”

There's no big reveal for David's corporate agenda, as there was for Ash in ALIEN. Instead, he lays his cards right on the table. “From the get-go you know exactly what he’s doing when he's doing it,” says Scott. “He doesn’t even get bored, and works around that in his own world. He can switch off if he wants and switch back on. He’s the housekeeper.”

Fassbender says David is unlike anything that has come before in the ALIEN universe, to which PROMETHEUS shares only strands of DNA rather than direct links. “I didn't really look at any of the previous films,” says Fassbender. “Once I got the part I didn't re-watch the old ALIEN films. I watched BLADE RUNNER, actually. I’m just trying to make a very sort of ambiguous sort of character with this guy. And very sexually ambivalent; sort of almost androgynous. We’ve been taking references from David Bowie and Peter O’Toole in LAWRENCE OF ARABIA. This is the kind of guy that, when he says something, the audience are like, 'Is he for real or is he taking the piss here?'”

Adds Ellenberg: “Ridley's modelled him after a number of classic actors. And while everyone's been asleep for two years, David's been awake, so he's had time to study our scientists' research and come into his own. Over the course of the movie he thinks he understands what he wants out of life and I think he's very surprised by what he sees.”

His uncertainty reflects on the crew of the Prometheus, who are all fearful of David's motives on board. “They're just really not sure about this guy,” Fassbender continues. “There’s a kind of resentment against robots, and so they kind of treat him a little bit like an outcast. Then the audience are like, 'Does this guy have feelings? He’s a robot. Is there jealousy there? Is there envy? Do his feelings get hurt by the way people talk to him?”

An interesting aspect of David's character, in connection with PROMETHEUS's grand themes about questioning the origin of humanity, is that as an android, David is well aware of who created him. “He even asks Holloway, 'Why did you make me?'” reveals director Ridley Scott. “And he says, 'Because we could.' So David responds, 'How would you feel if your maker said that about you?' Does David have feelings? You fucking bet he has feelings.”

Fassbender says he's been imbuing the character with all the unrestrained emotion the script will allow. “I’m making him a very sort of vain and sort of patronising kind of character,” he explains. “There’s a massive ego within him, I’ve realised, because it’s open knowledge to him that he’s far more advanced than his human counterparts. In a response to their non-acceptance of him he develops a bit of a haughty sort of attitude around them. He likes to be right all the time.”

His reference material extends beyond film, too. “I sort of took my walk from Greg Louganis. He was a high diver in I think the early ‘80s and I remember watching him when I was a boy. I always remember he used to walk in a certain way to the edge of the high board. Little things like that just might help.”

One element of David that didn't make the final character was an Afrikaans accent, that Fassbender abandoned on day one. “There were a lot of different ideas that I had in terms of what I was going to do with his voice and we tried different things,” Fassbender remembers. “At one point I wanted to do South African, so I was doing one take and doing my Afrikaans accent and Ridley was like, 'Okay, it’s kind of interesting.' He’s like, 'Do one in the Afrikaans and then do one in English.' Then in the end we said, 'Okay, we’ll stick with the English. Let’s just get rid of that idea!'”
    Jonesy you little shit..you're staying right here
  • ArtificialHumanArtificialHuman  (1 like this)
    Colonist
    Wow.

He's very smart and sophisticated, but also very young and if the beings they find are beyond good and evil, he may not fully understand good and evil. He's working his way through it in terms of his own consciousness and deciding whether he has an agenda or not.”

#Prometheusboner
  • NickIsSmartNickIsSmart  
    Flaming_Telepath
    "...
    Does David have feelings? You fucking bet he has feelings.”

Spoken like Ridley. I guess that rules out the possibility of a sociopathic android. 
    Vivez la yoga pants.
  • ramp_closingramp_closing  
    Colonist

"...
    Does David have feelings? You fucking bet he has feelings.”

Spoken like Ridley. I guess that rules out the possibility of a sociopathic android. 

Not necessarily, a sociopath still experiences rage, contempt, vanity and fear. 

Edit: those seem to be the central feelings cropping up in a lot of his descriptions too. Hmmm.  :)
    My hot dog has a first name. It's es pee yew en kay.
  • NickIsSmartNickIsSmart  
    Flaming_Telepath
    Fair point. He does smile a lot and look happy, however, but then again, maybe he's faking it.
    Vivez la yoga pants.
  • CharismCharism  
    Colonist
    David androgynous? In which place? :|
  • bunnypfbunnypf  
    Colonist
    Charism said:

David androgynous? In which place? :|

The Republic of Androgina?
    "Once upon a time I was a hell of an Engineer."
  • ViscalViscal  (2 like this)
    Brometheus
    Unused infographic that was supposed to be for http://weylandindustries.com/energy
    Designer: Nick Jones http://dribbble.com/narrowdesign or http://www.narrowdesign.com

Thanks to seeasea for these!
    I wanna go home and party.
  • ViscalViscal  (1 like this)
    Brometheus
    Much better than that Mitt Romney one
  • ViscalViscal  (1 like this)
    Brometheus
    “Prometheus” Crew: On A Mission Collision

Meet Ridley Scott’s space team in the thrilling and thought-provoking sci-fi “Prometheus” starring CharlizeTheron, Michael Fassbender, Noomi Rapace, Logan Marshall-Green and Idris Elba. Shot entirely in 3D, legendary filmmaker Ridley Scott creates a new mythology in the film. He takes us on a momentous journey, posing intriguing questions about the origins of life. The story follows an intrepid team to the darkest corners of the universe and becomes embroiled in a battle of epic proportions where the future of the human race is at stake.

On the planet, the team meets a survivor of a civilization in control of some very dangerous elements, including various forms of biology and biomechanics, which in a heartbeat can eviscerate its victim, or worse.  “This brings us to the question,” says Scott, “what are the consequences of meeting a superior being, whose capabilities are quantum leaps beyond one’s own, and are in effect god-like?”

Or put another way:  Maybe there are some things best left unexplored.

“The film’s central metaphor is about the Greek Titan Prometheus, who defies the gods by giving humans the gift of fire, for which he is horribly punished,” Scott explains.  “When you talk about the myth on which the title is based, you’re dealing with humankind’s relationship with the gods – the beings who created us – and what happens when we defy them.”

The team of scientists and explorers aboard the Prometheus are on a journey to discover answers to some of life’s most profound questions.  Two brilliant young scientists, Shaw (Noomi Rapace) and Holloway (Logan Marshall-Green) possessing contrasting motivations, lead the expedition.  Shaw is a believer: she wants to meet these “gods” as a way of getting closer to her more traditional religious views, while Holloway is looking to debunk these kinds of spiritual notions.  In their work as archeologists, they have discovered clues in cave pictograms from ancient civilizations across the world, all of which point to the same location in distant space, and have persuaded a corporation, Weyland Industries, to fund the mission.

“Shaw is the heart of the search; Holloway is the guts,” adds Marshall-Green.  “I think Holloway is searching for answers to these huge questions because he’s always pushing the envelope. He goes to the extreme in everything he does, sometimes for the better, sometimes for the worse of the team.  I think what drives him is the thrill of the search.”

CharlizeTheron’s Vickers is a “suit” representing the interests of the mega-corporation funding the journey to a distant, foreboding world.   A very different kind of power is demonstrated by Meredith Vickers, a Weyland Industries executive who is onboard the Prometheus to represent the corporation’s mysterious interests.  When CharlizeTheron accepted the role, Vickers took on intriguing new dimensions.  Says Lindelof:  “Charlize and I worked together to create a more layered character.  Vickers is someone the audience will love to hate, but there are moments when we see her vulnerability and begin to understand how and why she became so mercenary and hardened. This makes her a much more interesting counterpoint to Shaw.”  Says Theron.  “Vickers is pragmatic, and desperately wants to control the situation.  She fights everything that everyone else is there to do, and it becomes evident that she has either an alternative agenda or that she is hiding something.”

Vickers’ cold efficiency might be characterized as machine-like, but another crewmember, David, portrayed by Michael Fassbender, is, literally, a machine – an android creation of the corporation. While David possesses extraordinary intelligence and other capabilities, his principal tasks on the Prometheus, says Scott, are servile.  “He’s basically the ship’s housekeeper, keeping an eye on everything while the human crew is in suspended animation.”

The combination of David’s intellect and menial directives makes for some of the film’s most unexpected moments of humor.  When we meet David, he’s like a child in a playground – but his playground is the Prometheus.  “While the rest of the crew is suspended animation, David is enjoying himself, tinkering with the ship’s many technical wonders. And like a child, David enjoys watching the same movie over and over again. Additionally, David’s views on the human crew are somewhat child-like.  He is jealous and arrogant because he realizes that his knowledge is all-encompassing and therefore he is superior to the humans.  David wants to be acknowledged and praised for his brilliance, yet nobody gives him the time of day,” shares Fassbender.

Every ship needs a good captain, and Prometheus is no different. Step forward then, Idris Elba as Captain Janek, the commander of the ship that provides Ridley Scott’s sci-fi blockbuster with its name. Janek, the captain of the Prometheus, is described by Scott as an “old sea dog” – an officer in the classic tradition, and an alpha male whose primary mission is to protect the ship and its crew.  His ambitions and vocation provide a sharp contrast to the heady goals of Shaw and Holloway and the venal corporate interests of Vickers.  Elba describes Janek as “a longshoreman and a sailor. It’s his life and the crew is his responsibility. Ultimately, he makes a huge decision that sums him up as a man.”

“Prometheus” in 3D – defying expectations in cinemas nationwide on June 7 from 20th Century Fox to be distributed by Warner Bros. in Phils.

http://movies.inquirer.net/3843/“prometheus”-crew-on-a-mission-collision
    Thanks to seeasea for the link!
  • CharismCharism  
    Colonist
    Can anybody tell me what music is in first half of Internatioal Trailer? I'm hope it will in the movie, instead of shitty Featurette music. ;)

• SearleSearle  
    Colonist
    I have learned my lesson to not create a thread for any bit of Prometheus related stuff I do find. Here is a 4.5 min video of Michael Fassbender in Charlie Rose's Greenroom, he discusses first acting jobs, what he thought of doing before acting, who helped him, favorite book, etc:

in case no one has heard of Charlie, he does a talk-show here in the States (shown all over the world I believe now). the show is quite minimal, Charlie and a guest and one table with no commercials. I think Coca-Cola underwrites the show, it is on PBS in the states. Bloomberg TV might run it.
  • terrapinbearterrapinbear  
    Colonist
    Searle said:

I have learned my lesson to not create a thread for any bit of Prometheus related stuff I do find. Here is a 4.5 min video of Michael Fassbender in Charlie Rose's Greenroom, he discusses first acting jobs, what he thought of doing before acting, who helped him, favorite book, etc:

in case no one has heard of Charlie, he does a talk-show here in the States (shown all over the world I believe now). the show is quite minimal, Charlie and a guest and one table with no commercials. I think Coca-Cola underwrites the show, it is on PBS in the states. Bloomberg TV might run it.

Does Fassbender talk about his role as David in Prometheus?
    =\/\/= The Prometheus Has Landed! =\/\/=
  • kjohnson26kjohnson26  
    Colonist
    Searle said:

You could check if there is a general thread about Fassbender in the "Film and Television" category and put it there or make such a thread there based on your link.
  • xinauxinau  
    Colonist
    Charism said:

Can anybody tell me what music is in first half of Internatioal Trailer? I'm hope it will in the movie, instead of shitty Featurette music. ;)

I believe someone previously said it was music from the movie, "Sarajevo".
    "If Lindelof's script sucks I will wage my own personal jihad on the man and not rest until the streets are flowing with the blood of him and his children." -- ViGiLaNzA on IMDB
  • SearleSearle  (1 like this)
    Colonist
    i guess I didn't post my comment correctly. Watching the MLB network again and seems Verizon has partnered with the movie studio for a game to see movie content (and to sell Verizon's services). If you play the website game, - hope this isn't a SPOILER - you see David has a file on everyone and Vickers is using alot of energy in suite. She has a medical pod there. Also, you can win a trip to London to see where the movie was filmed.

• SearleSearle  
    Colonist
    ok, I posted that comment. hopefully it stays.
  • JonesycatpantsJonesycatpants  
    Catpower
    Yeah searle posted a while back here, with all the images, and unlocks thanks for sharing though.
  • SearleSearle  
    Colonist
    you guys should have a delete button, so can purge redundant posts. I guess technically I could edit the post and remove everything.
    Catpower
    it doesnt matter, its very easy to scroll past, not like its offensive or anything.

Catpower
    Alright guy's vote Prometheus, if only to piss Aeus off! 

http://au.movies.ign.com/articles/122/1224080p1.html
  • ViscalViscal  
    Brometheus
    Prometheus, only because the 3-minute trailer was slightly less underwhelming than TDKR trailer 3.
  • ViscalViscal  (2 like this)
    Brometheus
  • homer1962homer1962  (2 like this)
    Colonist
    Damn. Knew this day was going to come. Do I stay and get spoiled or go incommunicado for the next month? 

Welcome!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Login with Facebook Sign In with Google Sign In with OpenID

Forum Tips

• Bookmark All Discussions to catch all of the action.
• Introduce yourself here.
• Click your username for more options.
Dismiss to unsticky discussions.
Imgur for hosting images.
• Email: prometheusforum@gmail.com
• More forum tips.