Prometheus Forum
We are the Gods now
Was Ridley inspired by real-life parasites when designing the new life forms?
  • HAL_9000HAL_9000  (3 like this)
    Colonist

Beware, this really is mind-boggling stuff, disgusting and pretty scary. So here's my take on fungus-controlled ants and fly larvae growing inside ant's heads only to burst out. Scale this up a bit and you're there! Life cycles and all, it's all not too far from what we've seen in the unrated trailer. I remembered this from a stunning documentary about the ancient Tepui's (Table Mountains) of Venezuela and Guyana. So I found this article on National Geographic, make sure you read all of it and browse through the slightly disturbing photo galleries.

"The fungus species can infect an ant, take over its brain, and then kill the insect once it moves to a location ideal for the fungi to grow and spread their spores."

"Zombie" Ants Found With New Mind-Control Fungi

So far so good, but when I thought things cannot get much nastier and horrid, I found this related article:

"In South America, female phorid flies have developed a bizarre reproductive strategy: They hover over fire ants, then inject their eggs into the ants with a needle-like appendage... Finally, the baby fly decapitates its host and hatches, exiting through the ant's head, as shown in the pictures in this gallery."

"Zombie" Ants Controlled, Decapitated by Flies

HAL 9000 - going on standby

"Whose idea was it for the word 'Lisp' to have an 's' in it?"
  • Sticky_FingazSticky_Fingaz  (1 like this)
    NukSuKow
    There are lots of creepy animals in the kingdom. Another:

Or even this creepy parasite that enters a fish's gills, and replaces the tongue with itself.

You read it. I thought it was clear.
  • JonesycatpantsJonesycatpants  
    Catpower

looks like our friend assflower.
    Jonesy you little shit..you're staying right here
  • KanessonKanesson  (1 like this)
    Colonist
    HAL_9000 said:

"The fungus species can infect an ant, take over its brain, and then kill the insect once it moves to a location ideal for the fungi to grow and spread their spores."

There's even a PS3 Game coming out called "The Last of Us" which uses this same premise...It's a survival horror game in the same vein as 28 Days Later...After this fungus infection wipes out the population, you must survive in a post-apocalyptic world where this fungus infection has reduced it's victims into violent mindless zombie-like infected whose heads are horribly mishapen from the fungi growing out of their brains...Trailers wicked.
    "They say every Atom in our bodies was once part of a Star, maybe I'm not leaving...maybe I'm going home"
  • JonesycatpantsJonesycatpants  (2 like this)
    Catpower

Yeah looks right down my alley Kanesson.
    Jonesy you little shit..you're staying right here
  • VodiVodi  
    Predator
    cricket infected with parasitic worm, commits suicide

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D7r1S6-op8E
    Dave, this conversation can serve no purpose anymore. Goodbye.
  • ummesterummester  (2 like this)
    AssFlower

There are lots of creepy animals in the kingdom. Another:

Or even this creepy parasite that enters a fish's gills, and replaces the tongue with itself.

Caterpilla = why Holloway/Shaw want to protect cuddles.

Fish parasite = Xenomorph tongue:)

Suck fuddlety!
  • McyMcy  (2 like this)
    Colonist
    Scott said that everything in the film can be traced to something in science or myth.  This adds to the level of reality, just like Atwood's Handmaid's tale being a collection of real life news articles reworked into a fictional narrative.  That being said, I think almost anything an artist dreams up is out there in nature in some way becuase nature just seems to grow and develop in so many original, odd, and functional ways.  That said, the stuff Scott throws out still turns my shit white even after watching all those creepy bugs and worms (the one that eats bats is awesome!)
  • rabidrangerrabidranger  
    Colonist
    The disturbing thing about the movie is all of these nasties appear to have been engineers with a purpose. Bio-weapons of the highest order.
  • padruigpadruig  
    Colonist

it took a couple of years but we've found out that the queens born from Africanized honey bees hatch one full day earlier than their European cousins

this pushes any European / African population mix towards an all African population by default
    Thus human beings are now carrying out a large scale geophysical experiment of a kind that could not have happened in the past nor be reproduced in the future. Within a few centuries we are returning to the atmosphere and oceans the concentrated organic carbon stored in sedimentary rocks over hundreds of millions of years.
  • VisionistVisionist  
    Panton_Vel_Nusquam
    It's funny because I thought I'd be sleeping tonight.
    I'm the man who gets to fly around in a helicopter with a gun.
    You call me MUFWIG.
    Mother Fucker What's In Charge.
  • JasonDiazJasonDiaz  
    Colonist
    I previously mentioned that the Alien Cobra behaved like a parasite, thanks for the videos, I've seen some them before on the nature channel and they are very disturbing.
    "Not too close, I hope"

Welcome!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Login with Facebook Sign In with Google Sign In with OpenID

Forum Tips

• Bookmark All Discussions to catch all of the action.
• Introduce yourself here.
• Click your username for more options.
Dismiss to unsticky discussions.
Imgur for hosting images.
• Email: prometheusforum@gmail.com
• More forum tips.