Prometheus Forum
We are the Gods now
What do xenomorphs eat?
  • tgbyhntgbyhn  
    Colonist
    In all of the films, I can't ever recall a xenomorph consuming anything.

Yet, they can seemingly grow 200+ pounds in weight over the course of a few hours.  It always boggled me in the back of my mind where they got the energy to grow, and so much of it, and how they grew so fast.

A human would need to eat 530 pounds of 75/25 ground beef to get the requisite number of calories to put on 200 pounds.

• ramp_closingramp_closing  
    Colonist
    Soylent green.

More seriously, I tell myself that the flukes on their backs are gas exchangers and that, like plants, they're mostly bound up atmosphere and water.
    My hot dog has a first name. It's es pee yew en kay.
  • homer1962homer1962  (2 like this)
    Colonist
    Maybe a genetically engineered bio-weapon dosent need to eat.
  • kjohnson26kjohnson26  
    Colonist
    The xenomorph was raiding food storage units in the Alien novelization.
  • ramp_closingramp_closing  
    Colonist
    homer1962 said:

Maybe a genetically engineered bio-weapon dosent need to eat.

It's a possibility.  They seem to seek out warmth (for instance settling in the heart of the atmosphere processor).  Perhaps they're a sort of organic stirling engine, pulling the energy for growth directly from temperature differentials.
    My hot dog has a first name. It's es pee yew en kay.
  • NickIsSmartNickIsSmart  
    Flaming_Telepath
    Ash mentioned in Alien, "Oh, well, yes, it's adapted remarkably well to our environment, considering its nutritional requirements." 
    "It's all in the reflexes."
  • KanessonKanesson  
    Colonist
    He was talking about the facehugger so we must assume the Embryo/Alien has a similiar metabolic process...also Ash mentions that it has " a funny habit of shedding its cells and replacing them with polarized Silicone" which goes a long way into explaining its translucent nature.
    "They say every Atom in our bodies was once part of a Star, maybe I'm not leaving...maybe I'm going home"
  • NickIsSmartNickIsSmart  
    Flaming_Telepath
    Was he? Are you sure? Parker had already said, "It's like a man, it's big!", followed by Ash staring creepily and muttering to himself, "Kane's son." Then, he says the bit about "nutritional requirements." I think he was talking about the man-sized alien, or at the very least the snake-shaped creature that popped out of Kane's chest.
  • drxs0drxs0  (1 like this)
    Colonist
    At the risk of coming off blase' about this.  My take on what do they eat?  Anything they want! :D
    ~In Space No One Can Hear You Scream~
  • homer1962homer1962  
    Colonist
    One question I had about Aliens is the victims of the chestbursters, all still strung up aren't touched. Dosent seem like xenos like human flesh if they eat. Still think, they don't eat. They are a bio-machine, 
  • NickIsSmartNickIsSmart  (1 like this)
    Flaming_Telepath
    If they eat, what do they poop? And where does all that slime come from?
  • drxs0drxs0  
    Colonist
    homer1962 said:

One question I had about Aliens is the victims of the chestbursters, all still strung up aren't touched. Dosent seem like xenos like human flesh if they eat. Still think, they don't eat. They are a bio-machine, 

Perhaps the flesh became part of their lair.  Absorbed into it so to speak.
    ~In Space No One Can Hear You Scream~
  • Your childhood innocence :P

The only film we see a xeno eat is AVP:R but that holds about as much weight as a dwarf on a hunger strike.

I like the idea of them absorbing their requirements from their environment. We basically eat to receive energy (and some nutrients), perhaps the xeno can absorb natural energy from their surrounding. Like their snorkels are solar collectors or something. They'd likely have a good carbon rating too :D
    You read it. I thought it was clear.
  • MartinRobyMartinRoby  
    Colonist
    They grow way to fast to be "normal eaters", so they must have a different source of energy and chemicals. So I'm with Sticky_Fingaz on this one. Problem is that energy in the environment is mostly low-entropy energy, heat etc., which is simply not usable to build/sustain an organism. So the xenomorphs would probably hang around the reactors not because it's warmer, but because they can somehow tap into the high-entropy energy available there.
  • KanessonKanesson  
    Colonist

Was he? Are you sure? Parker had already said, "It's like a man, it's big!", followed by Ash staring creepily and muttering to himself, "Kane's son." Then, he says the bit about "nutritional requirements." I think he was talking about the man-sized alien, or at the very least the snake-shaped creature that popped out of Kane's chest.

Been a while, not sure could be either, just thought I'd throw some related info in there.
    "They say every Atom in our bodies was once part of a Star, maybe I'm not leaving...maybe I'm going home"
  • TerraformerTerraformer  
    Biggus_Diccus
    in alien 3 it was munching at the prisoners. but i dont think they eat. in alien although everyone including me has decided it's turning brett and parker into eggs. But maybe it was turning them into some kind of organic soup for it to eat
    Any views, opinions or comments by Terraformer are not those of Prometheusforum.net and purely for entertainment purposes only and not to be taken seriously and not to be read by anyone.
  • KanessonKanesson  
    Colonist

Just watched that scene again and it was the facehugger, chestburster hadn't been born yet.
  • NickIsSmartNickIsSmart  
    Flaming_Telepath
    We're talking about the same scene, right? I'm talking about the one after Brett dies in the room of chains, where they're talking about how to drive the alien and Ash suggests, "Most animals retreat from fire, yes?" That's where he also mentions nutritional requirements. At this point, the creature had already been born and turned into a giant man-sized thing.
  • KanessonKanesson  
    Colonist
    I don't think so, the scene I'm speaking of is when Ripley walks in on Ash studying the facehuggers biology through the Microscope...at this point, Kane has yet to awaken from his Coma. The "Nutrional Requirements" dialogue was not spoken at this point, so we're on different points of reference here, I assumed that dialogue was in the scene I was talking about mistakenly.
  • NickIsSmartNickIsSmart  
    Flaming_Telepath
    Oh, yeah. I know the scene you're talking about, where she startles Ash, who's looking through the microscope at... something.
  • KanessonKanesson  
    Colonist
    Funny thing happened, as I was looking for confirmation of the dialogue watching that scene, I noticed that the black anomaly to the upper left of the monitor appeared as a curled up chestburster...If you get the chance, watch the scene and look for that...possible/possibly a chestburster?
  • NickIsSmartNickIsSmart  
    Flaming_Telepath
    Yeah. I always thought it was a sheep eyeball, or something. Of course it's the eight passenger.
  • KanessonKanesson  
    Colonist

I never paid that much attention to the screen 'til today, gimme some slack...

• I always thought these two images looked ominous.

This certainly has an alienesque appearance, plus there is definite movement (heartbeat perhaps) visible as the camera pans across.

Also, this could just be an oxygen bubble... Or is it?
    From the stars we came. From the stars we return. From now, till the end of time.
  • ummesterummester  
    AssFlower

Would acid blood require nutrition, or would it be more like lubricant in a machine?

I like not knowing what or if they eat as we understand it - makes them more creepy.

I don't like how the little chestbuster gets big so qucikly, without any kind of explanation though. It would be nice if there were some lectronics, metal and organic matter missing before they see the full sized one, without explanation, so we don't know if it ate or assembled itself larger.

Suck fuddlety!
  • TerraformerTerraformer  
    Biggus_Diccus
    ummester said:

Would acid blood require nutrition, or would it be more like lubricant in a machine?

I like not knowing what or if they eat as we understand it - makes them more creepy.

I don't like how the little chestbuster gets big so qucikly, without any kind of explanation though. It would be nice if there were some lectronics, metal and organic matter missing before they see the full sized one, without explanation, so we don't know if it ate or assembled itself larger.

i was always under the impression the blood in the alien's body was not exactly acid and only turned acid once it escaped it's alien body = something like it's dead blood cells turn to acid
    Any views, opinions or comments by Terraformer are not those of Prometheusforum.net and purely for entertainment purposes only and not to be taken seriously and not to be read by anyone.

Welcome!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Login with Facebook Sign In with Google Sign In with OpenID

Forum Tips

• Bookmark All Discussions to catch all of the action.
• Introduce yourself here.
• Click your username for more options.
Dismiss to unsticky discussions.
Imgur for hosting images.
• Email: prometheusforum@gmail.com
• More forum tips.