Prometheus Forum
We are the Gods now
New Exclusive Prometheus Content From Verizon
    Jonesy you little shit..you're staying right here
  • ramp_closingramp_closing  
    Colonist
    CEP Crew Ejection Pod

CEM Crew Escape Module
    My hot dog has a first name. It's es pee yew en kay.
  • bokiboki  
    Colonist
    “The bird fights its way out of the egg. The egg is the world. Who would be born
    must first destroy a world. The bird flies to God. That God's name is Abraxas.”
    - Hermann Hesse, Demian
  • tifosi77tifosi77  
    Colonist
    Anyone else find it odd that so many decades into the future they are still designing ships with lower lifeboat capacity than the compliment of said vessel?  The escape module holds 8, the ejection pod holds 1.... but there are something like 17 known individuals on the mission.

Granted, not sure what good an escape pod can do in deep space, but still.
    Perfect organism.
  • ramp_closingramp_closing  (3 like this)
    Colonist
    I so badly want this to be the future.
  • JonesycatpantsJonesycatpants  (5 like this)
    Catpower

minus the ass flowers and face rape ;)
  • ramp_closingramp_closing  (3 like this)
    Colonist
    It's a fair trade off as long as it's happening to other people.
  • bunnypfbunnypf  
    Colonist
    tifosi77 said:

Anyone else find it odd that so many decades into the future they are still designing ships with lower lifeboat capacity than the compliment of said vessel?  The escape module holds 8, the ejection pod holds 1.... but there are something like 17 known individuals on the mission.

David wakes up the crew of 17 - is David part of that 17? Does Vickers count as she is already awake?

There are 16 escape spaces.

The escape pod will keep you alive for 50 years apparently.

"Once upon a time I was a hell of an Engineer."
  • ThothThoth  
    Colonist
    bunnypf said:

tifosi77 said:

David wakes up the crew of 17 - is David part of that 17? Does Vickers count as she is already awake?

There are 16 escape spaces.

The escape pod will keep you alive for 50 years apparently.

How do you get sixteen?  There's the eight individual EPs and then there's the Class D unit that hold more than one.  I assume the Class D unit is the very first picture in the thread.  However, this only appears to hold six crew members.
  • kjohnson26kjohnson26  (1 like this)
    Colonist
    I think that there are 8 small single occupant escape pods. The escape module/lifeboat holds an unspecified number. I would assume it could hold another 8-10 people.
  • ThothThoth  
    Colonist

I think that there are 8 small single occupant escape pods. The escape module/lifeboat holds an unspecified number. I would assume it could hold another 8-10 people.

If you look at the picture, there are three space and they are number 04, 05, and 06.  There's another shot of the unit further down.  In this shot there are three suits hanging to the left.  I'm guessing there are three to the right.  Also, there are only six pairs of boots.  If the unit hold more than six, maybe there is a second room either next to it or above or below this.
  • JasonDiazJasonDiaz  
    Colonist
    Vickers has her own med pod?
    "Not too close, I hope"
  • bunnypfbunnypf  
    Colonist

tifosi77 confused me with his figures, let's start again - 8 single occupancy pods, 3 in two chambers on level 2, 2 obviously elsewhere and then the large lifeboat which could physically hold more than the remainder of the crew. I wonder how many hypersleep chambers it contains though?

• ramp_closingramp_closing  
    Colonist
    Thoth said:

If you look at the picture, there are three space and they are number 04, 05, and 06.  There's another shot of the unit further down.  In this shot there are three suits hanging to the left.  I'm guessing there are three to the right.  Also, there are only six pairs of boots.  If the unit hold more than six, maybe there is a second room either next to it or above or below this.

I think those are the individually deployable pods, not the module.  Each shoulder of the ship has an ESC label.  It's an odd configuration but it may be that one shoulder contains 6 pods and the other contains 2.
  • JasonDiazJasonDiaz  
    Colonist
    Genesis is written and Apocalypses?
    "Not too close, I hope"
  • ThothThoth  
    Colonist

Thoth said:

I think those are the individually deployable pods, not the module.  Each shoulder of the ship has an ESC label.  It's an odd configuration but it may be that one shoulder contains 6 pods and the other contains 2.

I see what you are saying about the ESC labelings, and what you say makes sense. 

However, I was going by the second blue print, which explicitly lists the emergency egress.  As you will see, it says there is on Class D Crew Escape Module and 8 Class A Individual  Ejection Pods.  If the Class D Module only has the one room for the couches and this is what is represented in the pictures, then we are left with 14 total spaces.

Now, there could simply be a screw-up here in the blue prints.  Maybe there should be 2 Class D units or a third class of escape unit not mentioned.  Also, if there is a mothership orbiting, then there would be some crew up there.  In this case, the Prometheus would have enough.  (However, I'm still disinclined to think there is a mothership.)
  • rabidrangerrabidranger  
    Colonist
    Another Sumer reference. Very interesting. As an aside, Holloway is rather rakish looking....
  • bunnypfbunnypf  
    Colonist

Thoth said:

3 on one side, 3 on the other, 2 on another deck.
  • terrapinbearterrapinbear  (3 like this)
    Colonist

Can we still have Space Tapirs?
    =\/\/= The Prometheus Has Landed! =\/\/=
  • ThothThoth  
    Colonist
    bunnypf said:

Thoth said:

Is that just conjecture or are you basing that one something in the blue prints?
  • NragemachineNragemachine  
    space_jesus
    Man I'm lovin' the Nostromo vibes coming from the medlab and the dining area, feels right.
    Assholes and elbows.
  • bunnypfbunnypf  (1 like this)
    Colonist
    Thoth said:

bunnypf said:

Thoth said:

Is that just conjecture or are you basing that one something in the blue prints?

Commonsense actually, if there are eight in total and only six on level 02 then there must be two elsewhere - level 01 maybe?
  • xinauxinau  (1 like this)
    Colonist
    Re: the number of escape pods...

If you look at the picture of the Prometheus exterior on page 1 of this thread, you will see 6 roughly escape pod-shaped and escape pod-sized hatches, in two banks of 3, below and behind the bridge section.

This seems consistent with seeing an interior shot of the pods labeled 4-6. We're looking inside the chamber for one of the banks of three on one side of the ship.  There are two more banks of three (presumably) on the other side.
    "If Lindelof's script sucks I will wage my own personal jihad on the man and not rest until the streets are flowing with the blood of him and his children." -- ViGiLaNzA on IMDB
  • JonesycatpantsJonesycatpants  (2 like this)
    Catpower

Can we still have Space Tapirs?

Only if you visit that other forum that can't be named :)
  • ThothThoth  (1 like this)
    Colonist
    bunnypf said:

Thoth said:

bunnypf said:

Thoth said:

Commonsense actually, if there are eight in total and only six on level 02 then there must be two elsewhere - level 01 maybe?

Oh, it was conjecture.  Thanks. 

If you wouldn't mind, it would be of great help if you would preface things like 3 on one side, 3 on the other, 2 on another deck with something like "it seems reasonable to assume" or "maybe there are" otherwise people end-up thinking you are stating facts.

Thanks.

Welcome!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Login with Facebook Sign In with Google Sign In with OpenID

Forum Tips

• Bookmark All Discussions to catch all of the action.
• Introduce yourself here.
• Click your username for more options.
Dismiss to unsticky discussions.
Imgur for hosting images.
• Email: prometheusforum@gmail.com
• More forum tips.