Prometheus Forum
We are the Gods now
Best of Movie Trivia
  • BeerBeer  
    Colonist
    self explanatory thread title...

Top Gun
    The character portrayed by Kelly McGillis is based on Christine Fox, a civilian flight instructor the producers met on a visit to Miramare while doing research to prepare for the movie. Ms. Fox is as of 12/5/13 the Acting Assistant Secretary of Defense, the highest post ever held by a woman at the Department of Defense.

The real Top Gun School gives a $5 fine to anyone in the staff that quotes the movie.
    I'm alive
  • BeerBeer  (1 like this)
    Colonist
    Harry Potter Deathly Hallows 2

Not long after Alan Rickman started to play Severus Snape, J.K. Rowling told him some character secrets about Snape that would not be otherwise revealed until the last book. Most significantly, Rickman was one of the very few people other than Rowling to know (years ahead of the last book's publication) that Snape had been in love with Lily Evans (later Potter) when they were students at Hogwarts, and both Snape's protection of and antagonism toward Harry came from that. Rowling said that she shared this information with Rickman because "he needed to understand, I think, and does completely understand and did completely understand where this bitterness towards this boy, who's living proof of [Lily's] preference for another man, came from." According to Rickman, the directors prior to the publication of the last book were not privy to the information of Snape's true character either, and he had to ask them to defer to him on the portrayal of Snape, whether or not they understood why.
    I'm alive
  • BeerBeer  
    Colonist
    Crimson Tide
    According to a 1995 Premiere magazine article, when Quentin Tarantino visited the set, Washington confronted him about his use of the word "nigger" in his films. Tarantino got embarrassed and wanted to move the conversation to a more private area. Washington said, "No, if we're going to discuss it, let's discuss it now." Washington later said he still felt that Tarantino was "a fine artist".
    I'm alive
  • John_StarkJohn_Stark  
    Blade_Runner_Stark
    Aliens: Resurrection

Ripley's actress (sigourney weaver) really did pull off that basketball shot! 
    Nanomachines, Son
  • John_StarkJohn_Stark  (1 like this)
    Blade_Runner_Stark
    Alien

Ridley Scott found a practical solution to lighting the aliens' egg chamber by borrowing blue laser lighting from The Who, who were rehearsing their stage show in the soundstage next door.
    Nanomachines, Son
  • John_StarkJohn_Stark  (4 like this)
    Blade_Runner_Stark
    Jaws

During a set visit, George Lucas put his head in Bruce The Shark's mouth and Steven Spielberg closed the jaws.  The prank backfired when the prop malfunctioned and Lucas got stuck. 
    Nanomachines, Son
  • NickIsSmartNickIsSmart  
    Flaming_Telepath
    Bruce Lee

Many actors in martial arts movies had to have their footage sped up. Bruce was so fast, they had to slow it down.

Fellowship of the Ring

Lurtz was supposed to miss intentionally when he threw the dagger at Aragorn. Instead, because of the heavy prosthetic mask, he threw it at Aragorn, who luckily was able to cut it out of the air with his sword.
    "Oh, hi, Mark."
  • BeerBeer  
    Colonist

Aliens: Resurrection

Ripley's actress (sigourney weaver) really did pull off that basketball shot! 

no way
    rly?

I'm alive
  • BeerBeer  
    Colonist
    Apocolypto
    Waldo, from "Where's Waldo?", appears in a single frame at 01:31:34, lying on the pile of dead bodies.
    I'm alive
  • BeerBeer  
    Colonist
    Apocolypto
    running from the jaguar was real...

"And the jaguar chase scene – was that real?

'I ran in front of a live jaguar. It was running, you know. I believe it was from down there (in Mexico). They had wranglers for it. But it's an animal, and you should never take your eyes off an animal. I am from the country and you don't ever let your guard down. It was intense. My heart was racing. I loved it.'"
    I'm alive
  • Brian_O_BlivionBrian_O_Blivion  (3 like this)
    Lazer_Brain
    Every Horror fan probably knows this, but the mask Michael Myers wears in Halloween is based on William Shatner's face.

• BeerBeer  
    Colonist
    I did not know that.   And I find that fascinating. 
    I'm alive
  • NickIsSmartNickIsSmart  
    Flaming_Telepath
    Ah, yes, the Shape. What some people don't know is they originally thought of using a clown mask instead of the Shatner one.
    "Oh, hi, Mark."
  • jthix2112jthix2112  (2 like this)
    Window_Into_Madness
    Not only was Weaver's basketball shot in Alien: Resurrection real, but I believe that it was completed in one take. Ron Pearlman nearly ruined the take by going nuts after Weaver made the shot. I also think that the idea for the backwards basketball shot was scrapped by the director (probably because it would normally take too long to complete), but Weaver just went ahead and tried it during the first take and made it.
  • BeerBeer  (3 like this)
    Colonist
    wow

I'm alive
  • @Beer 

Oh, yeah, and I remember reading about it like ages ago. :D
    "Big things have small beginnings."
  • VodiVodi  
    Predator

Bruce Lee

Many actors in martial arts movies had to have their footage sped up. Bruce was so fast, they had to slow it down.

Are you sure?
    I've read conflicting info

eg. Bruce Lee slowed his movements down

Cameras sucked back then anyway

Bruce Lee is so overrated :P

Dave, this conversation can serve no purpose anymore. Goodbye.
  • jthix2112jthix2112  (2 like this)
    Window_Into_Madness
    Yeah, I've heard that they just had to slow the actual fighting down.
  • BeerBeer  
    Colonist
    Matt Damon plays a cowboy in 'True Grit' by the Coen Brothers.

His cowboy hat uses 2 belt buckles to make the letter 'B'.
    B is also the letter for his favorite baseball team, the Boston Red Sox.

I'm alive
  • NickIsSmartNickIsSmart  (1 like this)
    Flaming_Telepath
    Vodi said:

Bruce Lee

Are you sure?
    I've read conflicting info

eg. Bruce Lee slowed his movements down

Cameras sucked back then anyway

Bruce Lee is so overrated :P

:-L
    "Oh, hi, Mark."
  • jthix2112jthix2112  (4 like this)
    Window_Into_Madness
    Crash won best best picture in 2004. This is ironic because the movie is, in fact, shit.
  • BeerBeer  
    Colonist
    yeah i strongly dislike both crash and Babel. But Babel is way worse.
    I'm alive
  • jthix2112jthix2112  (1 like this)
    Window_Into_Madness
    I really like Babel, myself. But Crash is fucking stupid.

Back on topic, I mentioned in the Rate Movies thread that I thought it was funny that the clip that the Academy used for Midnight Cowboy was the scene where Hoffman says that the cowboy look is strictly for fags and Voight responds by saying "You're telling me that John Wayne is a fag?" John Wayne was of course in attendance and ended up winning the award for Best Actor for his role in True Grit.

I also think it is interesting that Hoffman claims that the famous "I'm waklin' here, I'm walkin' here!" scene was ad libbed and that cab really did almost run him over. According to the producer, however, Hoffman is remembering this incorrectly and the scene was planned and rehearsed and the driver of the cab was a payed actor. Hard to believe that Hoffman would remember this wrong.
  • BeerBeer  
    Colonist
    Yeah I heard that line was ad libbed also.
    I'm alive
  • NickIsSmartNickIsSmart  
    Flaming_Telepath
    As did I. The three of us can't be wrong can we?
    "Oh, hi, Mark."
  • jthix2112jthix2112  
    Window_Into_Madness
    Apparently Bill Paxton's "Game over, man, game over!" in Aliens was ad libbed.

And as far as Midnight Cowboy, it seems like it's Hoffman's word against the producer's. I wonder what Voight has to say about the scene.

Welcome!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Login with Facebook Sign In with Google Sign In with OpenID

Forum Tips

• Bookmark All Discussions to catch all of the action.
• Introduce yourself here.
• Click your username for more options.
Dismiss to unsticky discussions.
Imgur for hosting images.
• Email: prometheusforum@gmail.com
• More forum tips.