Prometheus Forum
We are the Gods now
Prometheus has a run-time of...
  • ViscalViscal  (3 like this)
    Brometheus
    1 hour and 59 minutes (without the credits). Apparently according to this: http://youtu.be/rua8WuG9x9E

Thanks to ZsoltiDarkoo for the info!

EDIT: And according to terrapinbear's find: http://www.silence-action.com/2012/04/apercu-prometheus-science-fiction-prestige/#more-5573

EDIT2: 17 minute extra footage bit is incorrect. Thanks to Bugblatter for the correction!

EDIT3:
    The entire Q&A session and w/o the French translation voice-over

At 31:45, Ridley talks about the 17-minutes of footage he removed from an earlier work of his. He then immediately mentions Prometheus being 1 hour and 59 minutes.

(thanks to invictus005 for the link *no joke*)
    I wanna go home and party.
  • terrapinbearterrapinbear  (1 like this)
    Colonist
    Mezeridith Wickerz!
    =\/\/= The Prometheus Has Landed! =\/\/=
  • terrapinbearterrapinbear  (1 like this)
    Colonist
  • ummesterummester  
    AssFlower

17 mins is a lot of footage - haven't seen those kind of cuts in Sci Fi since Verhoven.

Wonder if different countries will get different releases?

Suck fuddlety!
  • TerraformerTerraformer  
    Biggus_Diccus
    Those 17 minutes are probably the most important minutes of the film.
    Any views, opinions or comments by Terraformer are not those of Prometheusforum.net and purely for entertainment purposes only and not to be taken seriously and not to be read by anyone.
  • ViscalViscal  (1 like this)
    Brometheus
    good catch Terrapinbear. Now on to the lamentation of it not having a longer runtime
  • TerraformerTerraformer  
    Biggus_Diccus
    does this revelation mean we will be getting Ridley's watered down version officially now?
    Any views, opinions or comments by Terraformer are not those of Prometheusforum.net and purely for entertainment purposes only and not to be taken seriously and not to be read by anyone.
  • ViscalViscal  
    Brometheus
    if watered down you mean less violence/gore/etc... run time is independent from that.

Alien's running time is 117 minutes. Close. But Ridley Scott never claimed that movie to be EPIC in scale
  • ViscalViscal  
    Brometheus
    according to a (presumably) a native French speaker on IMDb or someone who fully understands the French Q&A:

In the French Press conference, he said he now found the perfect pace, it's tight but that's how he wanted it to be. In his mind 1h59 min was enough (without credits).
  • TerraformerTerraformer  
    Biggus_Diccus
    Viscal said:

according to a (presumably) a native French speaker on IMDb or someone who fully understands the French Q&A:

In the French Press conference, he said he now found the perfect pace, it's tight but that's how he wanted it to be. In his mind 1h59 min was enough (without credits).

thanks for clearing that up viscal. :D. yeah it sounds more promising now.
  • TallgeeseTallgeese  
    Colonist
    Eh, I was hoping it'd be a bit longer but I don't really mind. I wonder how he's going to fit everything in without going too fast/too slow.

EDIT: Just wondering, is there a version of the French press conference that doesn't have the translator speaking?
  • ramp_closingramp_closing  
    Colonist
    Viscal said:

good catch Terrapinbear. Now on to the lamentation of it not having a longer runtime

Tears beard and gnashes teeth.  
    My hot dog has a first name. It's es pee yew en kay.
  • kjohnson26kjohnson26  (1 like this)
    Colonist
    Get one of those frame interpolators for slowing down the film and you could watch the thing for a day or a week if you wanted to.
  • RobotpoRobotpo  
    Colonist
    Wonder if the "Beginning of Time" sequence is still in, and if it is/was really 15 minutes, or if that was a misquote/interpretation. If the prologue concerning the Engineers is really 15 minutes long, than the actual narrative itself (with our human cast) will be only 104 minutes... :(
  • CarneCarne  (1 like this)
    Colonist
    Hi, new here. Finally signed up. Anyways:

Is there a chance some countries will get longer versions? In the UK they often edit and cut movies to make it fit a certain rating. Like they cut 6 seconds (although not ver much) from The Hunger Games because of violence.
  • TerraformerTerraformer  
    Biggus_Diccus
    beginning of time = 15 minutes
    at the Q/A they saw 25 minutes (correct me if im wrong) of pre-landing so thats 40 minutes.
    so that leaves us with 1 hour and 20 minutes on the planet
  • VodiVodi  
    Predator
    Welcome, Carne

The Hunger Games was cut in Britain so that it fit with the 12A certificate.

As yet I aren't sure what certificate Prometheus will be in British cinemas, but I'm hoping nothing is cut.

Keep in mind that The Hunger Games is definitely aimed at a younger market.
    Dave, this conversation can serve no purpose anymore. Goodbye.
  • CharismCharism  
    Colonist
    1:59.... bit short, but ... not bad. ; ) I'm satisfied.
  • kjohnson26kjohnson26  (3 like this)
    Colonist
    Rats, there goes the Shaw and Vickers hot lesbian sex scene.
  • terrapinbearterrapinbear  
    Colonist
    Charism said:

1:59.... bit short, but ... not bad. ; ) I'm satisfied.

And 17 minutes of deleted scenes for the DVD/Blu-Ray Director's Cut!
  • TallgeeseTallgeese  
    Colonist
    After rethinking it, I'm actually somewhat optimistic. After watching the original "Alien" again, the movie seems (to me, at least) to be quite long. Seeing as how Prometheus is going to have a slightly longer run time, it should be manageable.
  • egosheepegosheep  
    Colonist
    IIRC we only saw reports that said 15 minutes were shot at the waterfall.  Where has it been confirmed that there is a 15 min "beginning of time" sequence?  We have no idea if that's the case, who knows how much of that 15 mins made the final cut.
  • tifosi77tifosi77  
    Colonist
    ummester said:

17 mins is a lot of footage - haven't seen those kind of cuts in Sci Fi since Verhoven.

Wonder if different countries will get different releases?

17 minutes is about how much was cut from "Aliens" to make the 2-hour running time.
    Perfect organism.
  • MartinRobyMartinRoby  
    Colonist
    And many of those cuts in Aliens were (to my mind) quite okay. I never really liked the whole Jorden/Hadley's Hope sequence. The theatrical cut left more to the imagination. But Ripley's daughter (and maybe the sentry guns) should've stayed in.

I think 2 hours is a-okay. I don't think that Scott would cut out 17 minutes, if they were really essential to the plot.

My beef is with the possible (probable?) PG13 rating. If there's an R-cut, I wanna see it it theatrically, not at home.
  • TallgeeseTallgeese  (1 like this)
    Colonist

And many of those cuts in Aliens were (to my mind) quite okay. I never really liked the whole Jorden/Hadley's Hope sequence.

I agree with you on that one. I really didn't like the Hadley's hope scene. It seemed pretty cheesy (especially Newt yelling into the camera lol).
  • BugblatterBugblatter  (3 like this)
    Colonist
    Hey, the bit about 17 minutes being cut off is incorrect. The part you're referring to is where Ridley talks about alternate cuts of films throughout his career, and he says "I think there was only one time where I personally cut a film too short, where I cut off about 17 minutes. But with this film we have a very good cut." I'm pretty sure he's talking about Kingdom of Heaven as the film he cut too short. Then he goes continues to talk about Prometheus saying that there are still a couple minutes left to finalize, but right now they're at about 119 minutes, which he believes is "what this film should be."

Welcome!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Login with Facebook Sign In with Google Sign In with OpenID

Forum Tips

• Bookmark All Discussions to catch all of the action.
• Introduce yourself here.
• Click your username for more options.
Dismiss to unsticky discussions.
Imgur for hosting images.
• Email: prometheusforum@gmail.com
• More forum tips.