Prometheus Forum
We are the Gods now
High-res diagram of The USCSS Prometheus!
  • JonesycatpantsJonesycatpants  (5 like this)
    Catpower
    Oooooh all my boners
    Jonesy you little shit..you're staying right here
  • kjohnson26kjohnson26  (3 like this)
    Colonist
    Cool, I know what I want my girlfriend to get me for Xmas!
  • RobotpoRobotpo  
    Colonist
    Notice that the "Ejectable Lifeboat Module" is not specifically referred to as the "Magellan"...so, it may or may not be the same craft (the lifeboat apparently having appeared in TV Spot 2)...
  • xinauxinau  
    Colonist
    Great scoop Viscal -- terrific image, great design.

But really now. "Intergalactic communication antennae"?

I guess merely interstellar distances weren't impressive enough -- we're communicating across galaxies now?

I don't think the people running this viral campaign are thinking through things very carefully.

"If Lindelof's script sucks I will wage my own personal jihad on the man and not rest until the streets are flowing with the blood of him and his children." -- ViGiLaNzA on IMDB
  • kjohnson26kjohnson26  
    Colonist
    Robotpo said:

Notice that the "Ejectable Lifeboat Module" is not specifically referred to as the "Magellan"...so, it may or may not be the same craft (the lifeboat apparently having appeared in TV Spot 2)...

It seems to be that upper back section. I wonder about the Medical Bay being specifically marked.

Appended:

USCSS = ?  United Space Colonies Star Ship ?
  • TerraformerTerraformer  (1 like this)
    Biggus_Diccus
    "fireproof windscreen'' LMAO epic fail!! did it help?

Any views, opinions or comments by Terraformer are not those of Prometheusforum.net and purely for entertainment purposes only and not to be taken seriously and not to be read by anyone.
  • tifosi77tifosi77  
    Colonist
    xinau said:

I guess merely interstellar distances weren't impressive enough -- we're communicating across galaxies now?

Well, only if they want to be able to communicate back to earth.
    Perfect organism.
  • kjohnson26kjohnson26  
    Colonist

Well, intentional collision probably invalidates the warranty.

"fireproof windscreen'' LMAO epic fail!! did it help?

• xinauxinau  
    Colonist
    xinau said:

Well, only if they want to be able to communicate back to earth.

So LV-223 is in another galaxy?  Intergalactic distances are measured in millions/billions of light-years.  The nearest galaxy is 2.5 million light years away, the furthest about 13.2 billion LY.  This is 6-9 orders of magnitude more distant than stars like Gliese 582 and Zeta Reticuli.
    "If Lindelof's script sucks I will wage my own personal jihad on the man and not rest until the streets are flowing with the blood of him and his children." -- ViGiLaNzA on IMDB
  • drxs0drxs0  (5 like this)
    Colonist
    Men and their toys......I am sure everyone will want one now.  I can see models of this thing going up as soon as the movie hits theaters.  LOL  Me I would rather have a paint by number of the murals.  Now that would be awesome.
    ~In Space No One Can Hear You Scream~
  • Fantastic looking ship. Really digging the design.
    You read it. I thought it was clear.
  • terrapinbearterrapinbear  (2 like this)
    Colonist
    drxs0 said:

Men and their toys......I am sure everyone will want one now.  I can see models of this thing going up as soon as the movie hits theaters.  LOL  Me I would rather have a paint by number of the murals.  Now that would be awesome.

There is a company making toys from the movie, so we men will certainly have our toys!
    =\/\/= The Prometheus Has Landed! =\/\/=
  • drxs0drxs0  
    Colonist
    I was thinking life size, but whatever works right.
  • JonesycatpantsJonesycatpants  (1 like this)
    Catpower

looking very similar to Ron's alien concept artwork for the snark.
    Jonesy you little shit..you're staying right here
  • JasonDiazJasonDiaz  
    Colonist
    As I said previously in another tread, it's not Space Croissant proof ;)
    "Not too close, I hope"
  • MariaMaria  (1 like this)
    Colonist
    I didn't realize nuclear powered ion engines could go FTL. Ion drives can get you close to the speed of light, over a period of years of acceleration, but faster??? I have to say that space warp drives might be more appropriate.  Oh and what's the point of an intergalactic antennae, I mean even if you were to send messages between galaxies, it would take millions or billions of years for the message to get to its destination.  Am I being too nitpicky - probably, unless someone can tell me why nuclear powered ion engines are a good choice.

If you're traveling FTL, a little fire is the least of your worries (ie fireproof shield - LMAO!).  A dust particle can cause havoc.    
    ~In space, no one can hear you scream, unless space is CGI~
  • ramp_closingramp_closing  (2 like this)
    Colonist
    Pretend that Intergalactic and Fireproof are brand names.   ;)

It's a load, but the timeline doesn't mention any exotic drive mechanism for FTL travel:

FTL TRAVEL MADE POSSIBLE

Weyland scientists discover the inverse relationship between velocity and the flow of time making the long sought-after concept of faster than light travel a reality. The search for practical application begins.

My hot dog has a first name. It's es pee yew en kay.
  • JasonDiazJasonDiaz  
    Colonist

FTL TRAVEL MADE POSSIBLE

Weyland scientists discover the inverse relationship between velocity and the flow of time making the long sought-after concept of faster than light travel a reality. The search for practical application begins.

Still trying to rap my head that...
    "Not too close, I hope"
  • Dancing_FrogDancing_Frog  (1 like this)
    Colonist
    Maria said:

I didn't realize nuclear powered ion engines could go FTL. Ion drives can get you close to the speed of light, over a period of years of acceleration, but faster??? I have to say that space warp drives might be more appropriate.  Oh and what's the point of an intergalactic antennae, I mean even if you were to send messages between galaxies, it would take millions or billions of years for the message to get to its destination.  Am I being too nitpicky - probably, unless someone can tell me why nuclear powered ion engines are a good choice.

If you're traveling FTL, a little fire is the least of your worries (ie fireproof shield - LMAO!).  A dust particle can cause havoc.    

Technically, Plasma Ion engines can't go FTL. Rocket engine efficiency is limited by the the exit velocity. An antimatter drive would have exit velocities closer to the speed of light. The RSV Venture Star at the beginning of Avatar is a ship with that power plant. She takes 7 years to go from earth to Alpha Centauri and is probably the most interesting thing in the movie. Also, the Venture Star has an FTL communication system that uses the principle of quantum tunneling which interestingly enough would be feasible.

In the real world, NASA MSFC has been playing with those kind of things for years, and NASA has already flown an Ion propulsion engine on Deep Space 1. Antimatter systems are years away, but on the drawing board. The main problem is the manufacting and storage of antimatter in sufficient quantities safely to fuel an interstellar mission.

In science fiction, you have to make a choice about how your going to get there. Star Drives have been and always will be an essential component of the basic sci-fi story requiring a large suspension of disbelief. Of course, that suspension of disbelief would be easier if the designers didn't use the specific names of presently existing technologies, but sometimes they chose things that just sound cool to sell toys. And, you have to admit "Plasma-Ion" sounds cool, and Prometheus looks great for being complete Horse$#@*!

I am just wondering what it costs to get her simonized after they scape that SJ bug goo off of the fireproof windshield. Or perhaps, the windshield is the only thing that survives the collision with the giant space croissant, because it's fireproof.
    Rocket Scientist
  • roguedesignerroguedesigner  (6 like this)
    Colonist
    EXT. LV-223. SKY. DAY - Prometheus crashes into Space Croissant. Flames and debris fill the screen. Cut to Janek on the planet's surface, climbing out from beneath Fireproof Windscreen.

EXT. LV-223. SURFACE. DAY
    JANEK dusts off the sleeves of his flight suit, kicks Fireproof Windscreen to one side, flips the Space Croissant the bird
    "That's what you get motherfucker! Who's the man!"
  • kjohnson26kjohnson26  (4 like this)
    Colonist

EXT. LV-223. SKY. DAY - Prometheus crashes into Space Croissant. Flames and debris fill the screen. Cut to Janek on the planet's surface, climbing out from beneath Fireproof Windscreen.

EXT. LV-223. SURFACE. DAY
    JANEK dusts off the sleeves of his flight suit, kicks Fireproof Windscreen to one side, flips the Space Croissant the bird
    "That's what you get motherfucker! Who's the man!"

Then he drops trou and gives the "Janek salute".
  • bokiboki  (1 like this)
    Colonist

drxs0 said:

There is a company making toys from the movie, so we men will certainly have our toys!

yeah, the company is called 'neca'. my 18" alien that i got a couple of years ago was made by them - i'm a geek, sue me :D

although, i wouldn't be sure what to get from prometheus. everything looks so damn delicious. prometheus, croissant, inside of the temple (giant head room), inside the croissant (cockpit control/gun thing)...even the outside of the temple looks amazing.
    “The bird fights its way out of the egg. The egg is the world. Who would be born
    must first destroy a world. The bird flies to God. That God's name is Abraxas.”
    - Hermann Hesse, Demian
  • drxs0drxs0  
    Colonist
    I would like to have the Croissant maybe the large head....a few action figures.....oops...showing my true self here.  lol
  • ummesterummester  
    AssFlower

So it's a pretty big ship.

A human would likely by 1/2 - 2/3 rds the hieght of the radar dish.

The science team vehicles drive out the front, under the 'MULTIPLE CARGO BAYS' and forward of the 'MEDICAL BAY'.

It is concievable that people could stay out of sight on this vehicle for most of the film.

From the second slow mo trailer - something ejects from forward of the engines, which is odd? Doesn't seem like the 'LIFEBOAT' but something from the 'CARGO BAYS'? In this tralier we can also see it definately crashes nose first into the coissant.

Suck fuddlety!
  • ummesterummester  
    AssFlower

Could be the whole lifeboat module is the 'other ship', which opens all sorts of options as to when in the film Prometheus rams the coissant. A whole lot of film could play out just in the lifeboat.

There must be some kind of escape capsule towards the front, which is seperate to the lifeboat.

Funny, I was asking for more ship details just last night and look what has been delievered:)

Suck fuddlety!

Welcome!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Login with Facebook Sign In with Google Sign In with OpenID

Forum Tips

• Bookmark All Discussions to catch all of the action.
• Introduce yourself here.
• Click your username for more options.
Dismiss to unsticky discussions.
Imgur for hosting images.
• Email: prometheusforum@gmail.com
• More forum tips.