Prometheus Forum
We are the Gods now
Ridley seems to be in denial regarding the film rating
  • TerraformerTerraformer  
    Biggus_Diccus
    the rating system is confusing as hell. over here its simple; to a simpleton like me anyway. U (universal audience- basically any human being on the planet), PG (anyone younger than 12 must be with an adult) 12 (over the age of 12), 15 (over the age of 15) and 18 (over the age of 18)
    Any views, opinions or comments by Terraformer are not those of Prometheusforum.net and purely for entertainment purposes only and not to be taken seriously and not to be read by anyone.
  • xinauxinau  
    Colonist
    "If Lindelof's script sucks I will wage my own personal jihad on the man and not rest until the streets are flowing with the blood of him and his children." -- ViGiLaNzA on IMDB
  • ummesterummester  
    AssFlower

terra, so your PG is the same as our M - famaily entertainment for kids over 9 type of thing.what age group is your R? 12, 15 or 18? or do you have like R15 and R18?

Suck fuddlety!
  • ummesterummester  
    AssFlower
    xinau said:

Thanks xinau

I want Prometheus to be an American NC:) That's an Ozzie R.

So no film can be rated above PG on concept alone. That is wierd. If the film is about rapists discussing a particularly nasty rape but without harsh language or scenes of that rape - the board can't rate it above PG. It says will not, not may not. very strange.

Suck fuddlety!
  • kjohnson26kjohnson26  
    Colonist
    MA rating is sometimes still used in the US on non-subscription cable TV shows. It seems to be mostly attached to "some strong language", "some violence" and "some adult content". It is probably somewhere in the region between PG-13 and an R but closer to PG-13. I don't think I've seen something like a PG-13 rating directly stated on cable TV shows that are not movies.
  • xinauxinau  
    Colonist
    ummester said:

xinau said:

Thanks xinau

I want Prometheus to be an American NC:) That's an Ozzie R.

So no film can be rated above PG on concept alone. That is wierd. If the film is about rapists discussing a particularly nasty rape but without harsh language or scenes of that rape - the board can't rate it above PG. It says will not, not may not. very strange.

When this rating thing first blew up, I reviewed those MPAA categories and my thought was, forget PG-13. It seemed to me that the battle was going to be between NC-17 and R.  I thought PG-13 was out of the question.

That's why I think I agree with the OP that there's some element of denial ("wishful thinking"?) going on here, either on Ridley's or the studio's part.  I think they saw that some pretty strong content recently got a PG-13 tag and thought that they could, too, but I'm guessing what the MPAA saw was pretty stern stuff.

Now they're stuck -- I think they probably can't get the PG-13 without really watering it down, which I'm sure Ridley is loathe to do, any desire for a Cameronesque blockbuster notwithstanding.

My money is they release it with an R rating, and I'd further say it won't hurt the box office one little bit.
    "If Lindelof's script sucks I will wage my own personal jihad on the man and not rest until the streets are flowing with the blood of him and his children." -- ViGiLaNzA on IMDB
  • kjohnson26kjohnson26  
    Colonist
    NC-17 is almost always a rating death penalty in the US. Often times films that receive it simply release as unrated. That that still severely restricts the number of theaters that will show it.
  • ummesterummester  
    AssFlower
    Well heres hoping it gets a US R release. As much as it sux for the rest of the world, US releases often determine what cuts get distributed.
    Suck fuddlety!
  • RedAFXRedAFX  
    Colonist
    Troll.
  • ummesterummester  
    AssFlower
    ????
    Suck fuddlety!
  • VodiVodi  (3 like this)
    Predator
    RedAFX said:

Troll.

At least try and give valid input on topic.

I see only one troll on this page...
    Dave, this conversation can serve no purpose anymore. Goodbye.
  • deadinspacedeadinspace  
    Colonist
    Vodi said:

RedAFX said:

Troll.

At least try and give valid input on topic.

I see only one troll on this page...

I assume he's calling me a troll for starting this topic. It's an important subject and I think we've had some good discussion about it. Where he got trolling out of this conversation I don't know. I'd think it extremely odd if it wasn't addressed.

• ramp_closingramp_closing  (3 like this)
    Colonist
    Vodi, gotta say man.  I'm glad they made you a mod.  
    My hot dog has a first name. It's es pee yew en kay.
  • Dancing_FrogDancing_Frog  
    Colonist
    Has anyone seen a scary PG-13, recently? I can't remember one.
    Rocket Scientist
  • ramp_closingramp_closing  
    Colonist
    The owl bit from 4th Kind scared the crap out of me.
    My hot dog has a first name. It's es pee yew en kay.
  • ThothThoth  
    Colonist

If you mean something that's come out in the last half dozen years or so then yes - Drag Me to Hell.  Also, the Ring, which came out in 2002 I think, was PG-13.  I can probably think of others.
  • deadinspacedeadinspace  
    Colonist

SUNSHINE was kinda scary and that was sci-fi in deep space.

• TwoFace02TwoFace02  
    Colonist
    the expendables was rated R (18) and made well over $160 mill and three times more on DVD sales. 

if it is cut down for a teenage audience (who will hate the film and not understand it) then the extra scenes and stuff on the uncut DVD version will be non-cannon to the series. I'm paying my hard earned money to see a film Ridley Scott has made not a Disney rated horror/friendly comedy

the expendables cinema release was a 15

Why couldn't teenagers understand the film and its a bold statement to say they will hate it
  • ummesterummester  
    AssFlower

SUNSHINE was kinda scary and that was sci-fi in deep space.

It was kind of tense, not scary, until the silly ending.
    Suck fuddlety!
  • ummesterummester  
    AssFlower
    Thoth said:

If you mean something that's come out in the last half dozen years or so then yes - Drag Me to Hell.  Also, the Ring, which came out in 2002 I think, was PG-13.  I can probably think of others.

The ring definately - if they make Prometheus as unsettling as that with a PG then I'll be happy. You know the ring used subliminal messaging to play on the viewers subconcious though, which made some of the scenes work - don't know if they can pull that off in 3d.

Drag me to hell was a comedy - a good one, with an interesting message, i thought - but comedy before a horror - like most of that directors stuff.

Suck fuddlety!
  • TerraformerTerraformer  
    Biggus_Diccus
    TwoFace02 said:

the expendables was rated R (18) and made well over $160 mill and three times more on DVD sales. 

if it is cut down for a teenage audience (who will hate the film and not understand it) then the extra scenes and stuff on the uncut DVD version will be non-cannon to the series. I'm paying my hard earned money to see a film Ridley Scott has made not a Disney rated horror/friendly comedy

the expendables cinema release was a 15

Why couldn't teenagers understand the film and its a bold statement to say they will hate it

expendables was an 18 over here. but thats an action film so teens will like it. young teens will probably hate it because its not a scifi transformers/bourne/paul ws anderson action film
    Any views, opinions or comments by Terraformer are not those of Prometheusforum.net and purely for entertainment purposes only and not to be taken seriously and not to be read by anyone.
  • xinauxinau  
    Colonist
    Any film industry types here?

IMDB shows a release to the French-speaking European countries on May 30.  What does that imply about when the film would have to be rated?

Anyone care to speculate on when we'll actually get the rating from the MPAA?  The sense I have is that the MPAA has probably already seen it, and sent it back with an R, and this is what pissed off Ridley so much, and that now they're either in an appeals process or figuring out what (if anything) to cut.

None of that's based on any evidence, though, apart from reading between the lines of his recent statements in London & Paris.
  • TerraformerTerraformer  
    Biggus_Diccus
    xinau said:

Any film industry types here?

IMDB shows a release to the French-speaking European countries on May 30.  What does that imply about when the film would have to be rated?

Anyone care to speculate on when we'll actually get the rating from the MPAA?  The sense I have is that the MPAA has probably already seen it, and sent it back with an R, and this is what pissed off Ridley so much, and that now they're either in an appeals process or figuring out what (if anything) to cut.

None of that's based on any evidence, though, apart from reading between the lines of his recent statements in London & Paris.

May. the companies send out their films to cinemas 2-4 weeks before release
  • xinauxinau  
    Colonist
    They better get cracking on The Avengers, then.

Still unrated with a release date of May 4.

• tifosi77tifosi77  
    Colonist

tifosi77 said:

Not sure where you got your numbers. Alien made $111M worldwide; Aliens made $185M worldwide. And that's from days when the cost of a ticket was three times less than what it now costs.

Boxofficemojo.com is a great industry source.

Perfect organism.

Welcome!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Login with Facebook Sign In with Google Sign In with OpenID

Forum Tips

• Bookmark All Discussions to catch all of the action.
• Introduce yourself here.
• Click your username for more options.
Dismiss to unsticky discussions.
Imgur for hosting images.
• Email: prometheusforum@gmail.com
• More forum tips.