Prometheus Forum
We are the Gods now
Ridley seems to be in denial regarding the film rating
  • deadinspacedeadinspace  (1 like this)
    Colonist

Apparently things aren't going so smoothly with the MPAA over the movie's rating. Ridley is pushing for PG-13 and the MPAA doesn't appear willing to grant it to the footage as is. Scott has excoriated them, pointing to other films that were granted a PG-13 rating and had borderline R content.

So even though he himself has said the movie should be PG-13 despite having an R feel to it, he seems to be in denial that it probably should be given an R rating.

To me, this poses a serious threat to the film because Scott seems really intent on getting that PG-13 rating and has, in his own mind, associated box office gold with a wider audience, thus he may be willing to cut some of the footage we're all desperately pining for.

IMO, it's in his head that Blade Runner was a box office bomb, even though it went on to achieve legendary cult status and he's deathly afraid of losing money on this project.

Understandable from a business pov, but why not just propose to the MPAA that they release in the first two weeks an R-rated version and a PG-13 version and let them both compete against each other? Most of the big films get multiple screens in their first two weekends anyway, and Prometheus won't be competing with any major competition in early June. That way, none of the hardcore fans are cheated with some restrained watered down version and the studio gets its crack at making kind of money that usually puts dollar signs in their eyes.

Thoughts?

• rogue007rogue007  
    Colonist
    If he's worrying about a PG-13 rating for tickets/money.... Screw him, this is for us.

Give us the R rating RS!..... You slime!
  • BaneBane  
    Colonist
    Going by the trailers, it was always going to be difficult to achieve a PG13 rating as there's some really intense stuff. There also seems to be quite a bit of "body horror" and when you're dealing with that kind of content, you're facing an uphill battle to get a PG13 rating.

I hope Ridley doesn't have to compromise on his vision. In regards to your question, has any production company done something similar before? Specifically, a film that has cost as much as this film.
  • KaenKaen  
    Colonist
    I find it hard to believe that Ridley would be pushing PG-13, why would he be interested in money at this stage of his career, he is a very successful director that has always appeared to be all about the films and his vision, very little outside of that. I don't think he would compromise a masterpiece just to make a few extra bucks, he has already stated that they made this film at a very low cost to what was initially thought anyway.

Where did you hear this stuff?
  • Passenger08Passenger08  
    Colonist
    I agree with Kaen.  Ridley really seems like a director that's much more concerned with the quality of his films rather than ratings.  I would guess that he's just compelled by the possibility of a much larger audience to see his badass and terrifying film, hence the push for the rating.  I don't think he would change anything at this point anyway, at least I hope not.  From all of the special features and other video bits I've watched of Scott over the years, he definitely seems like a perfectionist.

Plus I think it's worth pointing out that PG-13 has been the new R for over a decade.  I know ratings will always change with the times, but I think the recent change has seemed more dramatic compared with past changes.  I watch things in PG-13 films now that would've easily earned an R rating as close as 5 years earlier.  Just on a comparison basis.
  • ramp_closingramp_closing  (1 like this)
    Colonist
    He's got the bug.  He wants Prometheus 2, and he wants the budget to make it what it should be.
    My hot dog has a first name. It's es pee yew en kay.
  • This is what he said at that London Q&A

Scott was then asked a quesiton about the rating of the original 
    Alien, but his answer was a more general one. Starting with a 
    half-joking “I want a certificate that’s best for the box office”, he 
    made a valid arguement that it’s in everyone’s interest to make a film 
    that is as accessible to as big an audience as possible. After all, he 
    pointed out, if a studio doesn’t make its money back, there are no 
    movies. Even if a rubbish film is a hit, overall it’s a good thing. I 
    have to say, as much as I’d like to see a full-on R/18 rated Prometheus,
    I understand completely that studios are running a business – Scott 
    himself said is a director and a business man. Given that movies like 
    The Woman in Black and The Hunger Games are pushing boundries at the 
    lower rating, I don’t think we should be too worried if Prometheus ends 
    up a PG-113/12A – after all, there’s always the likely uncut video 
    release.
    "Everything living is dying, everything dying is dead"
  • kjohnson26kjohnson26  
    Colonist
    Yeah, I agree with ramp, I don't thinks he's that worried about making money to put in his pocket, he wants to make sure that Fox is happy so that they finance the next movie.
  • deadinspacedeadinspace  
    Colonist

This is what he said at that London Q&A

release.

Yeah, that's what I read. He seems pretty ok with watering down and then satisfying the fans later in the uncut video release. And that's where the fans lose--they won't get that first viewing with the uncut. And by the time we get the uncut, we'll already have seen it.

It's like jerking off, blowing your load, and THEN having the hot girl strip down for you.

I really just don't get it. Aliens made a killing as an R rated movie. Now, 25 years later, with people more desensitize than ever, having seen mass murder on television and real executions on the internet, suddenly it's taboo to make an R rated Alien movie?

• deadinspacedeadinspace  
    Colonist

Yeah, I agree with ramp, I don't thinks he's that worried about making money to put in his pocket, he wants to make sure that Fox is happy so that they finance the next movie.

And then on the set of Prometheus 2, the Fox execs remind Ridley that they need to make their money back, so try to make it PG-13. See what I'm saying?
  • TerraformerTerraformer  (2 like this)
    Biggus_Diccus
    no doubt about it by its opening day here in the UK it will make £17,760,000. tickets here cost £8.88 and there is a 2 mill alien/prometheus fan base so all of them including me will be going to see it on opening day or the first week anyway. it's hard to tell how many non-alien fans will go and see it but I'm guessing maybe another 5 million people. add that up.
    so my rough guess is that on it's first UK release week it will make a total of £62,160,000 ($98,778,456). In the 2/3 months its released here in the UK it will generate more viewers/money.
      since we don't know how much the budget is on prometheus it's hard to say how much it will have to make.
    the expendables was rated R (18) and made well over $160 mill and three times more on DVD sales.

if it is cut down for a teenage audience (who will hate the film and not understand it) then the extra scenes and stuff on the uncut DVD version will be non-cannon to the series. I'm paying my hard earned money to see a film Ridley Scott has made not a Disney rated horror/friendly comedy
    Any views, opinions or comments by Terraformer are not those of Prometheusforum.net and purely for entertainment purposes only and not to be taken seriously and not to be read by anyone.
  • tifosi77tifosi77  (1 like this)
    Colonist
    Look at the list of the highest grossing films of all time (worldwide boxoffice).

Titanic (PG-13)
    Transformers: Dark of the Moon (PG-13)
    Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, Pt 2 (PG-13)
    The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King (PG-13)
    Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest (PG-13)
    Toy Story 3 (G)
    Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides (PG-13)
    Star Wars: Episode I - The Phantom Menace (PG)
    Alice in Wonderland (PG)

The highest ranking R-rated film is The Matrix Reloaded, down in the 40s.

"Prometheus" does not need to make it on to that list in order to be a successful film.  It doesn't even have to earn back its production costs to all but ensure a sequel.  There has to be another reason for the PG-13 mania.

My feeling is that Ridley Scott fancies himself a better film maker than any of the directors on that list, and I would say he's got a strong argument.  But huge commercial success on the scale of a Michael Bay (horrible troll person that he is) or Peter Jackson or George Lucas is about the only thing missing from his CV.  I really think he wants to see his name on that list, and "Prometheus" is his best avenue to achieve that goal. (I don't think that's his motive for making the movie, btw.  Just that it is shaping his opinion as to how the movie should be presented to its audience.)
    Perfect organism.
  • NickIsSmartNickIsSmart  (4 like this)
    Flaming_Telepath
    It's why God invented uncut versions.
    "It's all in the reflexes."
  • roguedesignerroguedesigner  (2 like this)
    Colonist
    Sorry folks but art has collided with business in a very big way and that's all there is to it. I'm fairly sure that I don't have to outline the current financial situation facing businesses in the so-called "West" to anybody here, it's pretty obvious that times are hard and nobody can afford to lose on a new venture.

For the sake of argument, "your" R rated version hits the cinemas in June. Financially, it doesn't do so well and Scott is unable to justify to anybody the expense of expanding his vision through a second film. Happy now? Ok, let's rewind. Prometheus is released as a PG-13, and in the UK a very likely 15. It makes money, a second movie is greenlit and by Christmas you get your DC on BR and DVD which you can then watch any time you like whilst looking forward to the questions it raises being resolved in a couple of years time. Happier?
  • SargeISdeadSargeISdead  
    Colonist

This is what he said at that London Q&A

release.

Yeah, that's what I read. He seems pretty ok with watering down and then satisfying the fans later in the uncut video release. And that's where the fans lose--they won't get that first viewing with the uncut. And by the time we get the uncut, we'll already have seen it.

It's like jerking off, blowing your load, and THEN having the hot girl strip down for you.

I really just don't get it. Aliens made a killing as an R rated movie. Now, 25 years later, with people more desensitize than ever, having seen mass murder on television and real executions on the internet, suddenly it's taboo to make an R rated Alien movie?

The 80s were a much different time when ALIENS was released and it was the era for the best action films by far, at least in my opinion. All they can come up with these days are re-hashes of 80s glory films. Honestly I think the overall quality of films has gone way down since then. People have just become to politically correct and overly sensitive over the years.

Looking up at that list I had no clue the Matrix Reloaded was rated R, I find that almost humorous.

Hudson: "Maybe we've got em' demoralized..."
  • replicon1replicon1  
    Colonist
    If there's going to be a continuing Alien saga this film better make it's money at the box office. The first 2 films were financial and critical successes, so much so that the relative critical failure of the next two and the dwindling box office returns of the AVP series hasn't killed off the franchise. If Prometheus fails financially then it will take years maybe a decade or more for a studio to bankroll another one (if ever). 
    I think the films rating is crucial but it must be linked to the marketing, they have done a great job in presenting this a science fiction epic with horror overtones, not your usual PG fair (at least not in the UK). The Hunger Games got away with the inherent violence in the story by sanitising the more disturbing scenes but this would be a bad mistake with Prometheus. There is not an army of younger teens who have been reading Alan Dean Foster's book ready to help break box office records. It needs to attract and adult crowd and should be visceral and terrifying. I think Scott knows that if the film fails to make money he needs to be able to walk away from this with his head held high having made the best film he could, not one that pulled it's punches to attract a younger audience (my tuppence worth).
  • TerraformerTerraformer  (2 like this)
    Biggus_Diccus
    this generations young audience are really hyped up for this film. . . they think its a film adaption of dead space lol
    Any views, opinions or comments by Terraformer are not those of Prometheusforum.net and purely for entertainment purposes only and not to be taken seriously and not to be read by anyone.
  • SargeISdeadSargeISdead  
    Colonist

this generations young audience are really hyped up for this film. . . they think its a film adaption of dead space lol

I could see that, just about every sci-fi/horror/space FPS video game has roots in the first two ALIEN films somehow. Heck I still remember the eggs and "spiders" from the last boss on Contra that was obvioulsy a rip off of the facehugger, lol.

http://www.flyingomelette.com/oddities/oddities22.html

Interesting link showing the influence/copies of ALIEN/Giger's work in videogames throughout the years.

Hudson: "Maybe we've got em' demoralized..."
  • kjohnson26kjohnson26  
    Colonist
    If this film does turn out massively successful, it will probably spawn a whole new trend/ripoff of its storyline and theme both in films, tv movies (SyFy) and tv series.
  • ramp_closingramp_closing  
    Colonist
    Your lips to Space Jockey's ears.
    My hot dog has a first name. It's es pee yew en kay.
  • VisionistVisionist  
    Panton_Vel_Nusquam
    To everybody rabid for a cinema boycott incase of PG, just imagine if us consumers REALLY had that gumption. Imagine if the studio was inclined to release the proper cut because just for once, we didn't charge in, waving our cash, wild-eyed and starving for mediocrity.

A man can dream. 
    I'm the man who gets to fly around in a helicopter with a gun.
    You call me MUFWIG.
    Mother Fucker What's In Charge.
  • MartinRobyMartinRoby  
    Colonist
    Why not release a PG-13 and an R rated version theatrically? For 3D you need a digital projection anyway, and surely the costs will not skyrocket, if you only need to copy some bits and bytes for an additional R-rated cut.
  • roguedesignerroguedesigner  (1 like this)
    Colonist
    The MPAA won't allow a simultaneous release with two ratings. They have to be released 50 days apart or something like that.
  • kjohnson26kjohnson26  
    Colonist
    I didn't know that the MPAA had some kind of rule about that. I just thought it would probably be more expensive to do it both ways and cause additional problems with distribution at theaters.
  • Sticky_FingazSticky_Fingaz  (1 like this)
    NukSuKow
    I won't be too upset as long as we get an uncut version on bluray.

After all, it just gives us something else to scrutinize a few months after the theatrical release.
    You read it. I thought it was clear.
  • ummesterummester  
    AssFlower
    So, if we want a sequel, we have to put up with a cut down mess come July?

Money is silly - the true root of all evil, IMO.
    Suck fuddlety!

Welcome!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Login with Facebook Sign In with Google Sign In with OpenID

Forum Tips

• Bookmark All Discussions to catch all of the action.
• Introduce yourself here.
• Click your username for more options.
Dismiss to unsticky discussions.
Imgur for hosting images.
• Email: prometheusforum@gmail.com
• More forum tips.