Prometheus Forum
We are the Gods now
Is Weyland hidden away aboard Prometheus?
  • I suggested this yesterday in the Q&A London thread, and it does seem plausible.

Why does Vickers ask David if anyone has died during the long trip? Could be she's just a bitch, or could be she knows an elderly Weyland is hidden away on board. We know there's a prerecorded message from him, saying he will be dead by the time they watch it. If death was imminent, why not take the chance aboard the Prometheus. If nothing else you will (possibly) get to see a new world before you die. As the owner the company, he could have easily had a secret room built. Maybe David's real role during the trip could have been taking care of the needs of the elderly Weyland. He sees David as his son, and that's was sons do for their fathers, right?
    "Everything living is dying, everything dying is dead"
  • ramp_closingramp_closing  
    Colonist
    The synapse reestablisher is developed after the Memorial Library is founded.  When he recorded the message, he may not have known that they could provide him with another brief window on life, and they weren't going to waste the opportunity until he could see his dream fulfilled.
    My hot dog has a first name. It's es pee yew en kay.
  • rabidrangerrabidranger  
    Colonist

I think it's very plausible he's on board-and that fact is hidden from the crew at large (with the exception of David and Vickers).

• bunnypfbunnypf  
    Colonist
    There is that one image of David (with neural visor) hovering over a Hypersleep Chamber that could be in a room of it's own.
    "Once upon a time I was a hell of an Engineer."
  • The Weyland timeline tells us that the technology to reanimate the dead exists. Perhaps Weyland has indeed been dead for quite some time, but his body preserved intact so that he may be awoken for a brief period to see the realisation of his dream?
  • rabidrangerrabidranger  (1 like this)
    Colonist
    Or, Vickers and David could be having a private conversation (before the rest of the crew wake-up) to make sure Weyland is still in the land of the living (which he apparently is). I think this will all be news to everyone else.
  • Or, Vickers and David could be having a private conversation (before the rest of the crew wake-up) to make sure Weyland is still in the land of the living (which he apparently is). I think this will all be news to everyone else.

Good call. I was wondering why she would be awake before the others.
    "Everything living is dying, everything dying is dead"
  • ummesterummester  
    AssFlower
    It's called foreshadowing:)

Of course he's alive (or gets brought back to life) - he keeps popping up in the trailers - behind the mercs, on a wheelchair.
    Suck fuddlety!
  • egosheepegosheep  
    Colonist
    Yeah in my opinion he's alive and he's hidden onboard Prometheus... not on another ship as some have speculated. 

One of the articles said that it seemed like he was kind of a "Dr. Evil" stereotype with a bald head and a small dog.  The writer speculated that RS may have used this as a red herring when Weyland turns out to be good in the end.  It's very hard to say how it will go.  I really WANT him to be bad... it just seems so intruiging and creepy.  However we do see Shaw behind him in the elevator, as well as bloodied up collapsing in front of him in his wheelchair.  I would say the elevator scene makes him more sympathetic, whereas the scene with him and David looking at Shaw does not give me a good feeling at all.
  • bunnypfbunnypf  
    Colonist
    The comments by some of the more geeky folk who saw the footage about Pearce's dodgy make-up and prosthetics got me thinking. It's a multi-million dollar movie that has some of the best in the industry working on it, do we really expect them to produce such easily noticeable mistakes? Perhaps the poor representation of Pearce as an old Weyland is deliberate? Maybe the initial plot leaks are true and the tall jockeys really are just 'engineers' working for god-like characters who are of the same physique and stature as us? Weyland could have been exiled on Earth thousands of years ago and over those years he left the markers awaiting the time when we were sufficiently technologically advanced to form his company. He would have to appear to age as his subterfuge reached it's conclusion but with a devoted android helping him he could manage it.
  • drxs0drxs0  
    Colonist
    That gives new meaning to take me to your leader.  But an interesting idea needless to say.
    ~In Space No One Can Hear You Scream~
  • ThothThoth  
    Colonist
    bunnypf said:

The comments by some of the more geeky folk who saw the footage about Pearce's dodgy make-up and prosthetics got me thinking. It's a multi-million dollar movie that has some of the best in the industry working on it, do we really expect them to produce such easily noticeable mistakes? Perhaps the poor representation of Pearce as an old Weyland is deliberate? Maybe the initial plot leaks are true and the tall jockeys really are just 'engineers' working for god-like characters who are of the same physique and stature as us? Weyland could have been exiled on Earth thousands of years ago and over those years he left the markers awaiting the time when we were sufficiently technologically advanced to form his company. He would have to appear to age as his subterfuge reached it's conclusion but with a devoted android helping him he could manage it.

Nice!  If he was some sort of immortal or semi-immortal being living on earth, then he would have to have performed this trick more than once over the years.

One thing though, if he is on the ship and the old guy in the suit next to the mercs is him, why would he still need his make-up?
  • drxs0drxs0  (1 like this)
    Colonist
    To keep up pretenses.  You do not give away who you are based on theory.  If at the end of the day the theory doesn't pan out then no harm.  But if you let the masses know that you are "god" people might want to lock you away and throw away the key.
  • bunnypfbunnypf  (1 like this)
    Colonist
    Thanks drxs0, I am glad that you can see where I am coming from even if you do not go along with it ;-) . Yeah, basically to fool the crew and his bodyguard, I would presume that only David knows the secret and I wonder if the scenes shot in Spain, allegedly of David and Weyland on a yacht might have something to do with it...
  • drxs0drxs0  (1 like this)
    Colonist
    Didn't say I didn't agree, just seems a bit out there.  But considering just how out there this movie is anything is possible.  I for one will not shoot down an idea like that based off of a few seconds of trailer footage.  Anything at this point is possible.
  • homer1962homer1962  
    Colonist
    I don't subscribe to the Weyland is immortal/ Prometheus/God theory. As I've said before if prometheus rips off Dr Who "the crack in time" I'll throw up. But each to their own. 

I do subscribe to the theory he is hidden away on the ship. its the only logical explanation except for the Magellan theory.
  • drxs0drxs0  
    Colonist
    I had went as far as to think that perhaps Weyland knowing his demise was soon coming was able to transfer his conscientiousness into David somehow.  which would explain the child like wonder look on David's face during most of the trailer shots.
  • NickIsSmartNickIsSmart  (1 like this)
    Flaming_Telepath
    bunnypf said:

I asked that question myself, thinking of Doc pulling his face off in Back To The Future, part 2.
    "It's all in the reflexes."
  • ThothThoth  
    Colonist
    bunnypf said:

Thanks drxs0, I am glad that you can see where I am coming from even if you do not go along with it ;-) . Yeah, basically to fool the crew and his bodyguard, I would presume that only David knows the secret and I wonder if the scenes shot in Spain, allegedly of David and Weyland on a yacht might have something to do with it...

Oh, I saw where you were going with this; and I'm not necessarily against the idea of an essentially immortal being being left on earth and all that follows.  My problem with this though is that if Weyland is on the ship and made up to look like an old man and is hobbling around right up until the end when he takes off his disguise to reveal the truth most people will laugh - me included.  An idea like this needs time and you can't just spring it on the audience at the end of the movie.  I've said this before, the more out there a movie is the more you need to ground the characters and as much of the plot as you can.  To pull a move like this at the end of the movie is too much like the old hat on a hat pitfall in comedy.

With all that said, who knows.  If it goes down like this and they pull it off then both of my hats will be off to RS and company.
  • homer1962homer1962  
    Colonist
    drxs0 said:

I had went as far as to think that perhaps Weyland knowing his demise was soon coming was able to transfer his conscientiousness into David somehow.  which would explain the child like wonder look on David's face during most of the trailer shots.

Why would it explain it? I would have thought the opposite, instead of child like wonder, we would see world weary detachment.
  • drxs0drxs0  
    Colonist
    To see the world through new eyes.  It would be like a blind man seeing for the first time in years.  He remembers what he seen when he was younger, and now he is able to see it again fresh.
  • homer1962homer1962  
    Colonist
    We'll have to agree to disagree. An old tired cynical man is not a blind man who can suddenly see. He is still just an old tired cynical man in a new body. If  i had to see the world again through young eyes, my reaction would be - fucken hell, do I have to go through this again.
  • drxs0drxs0  
    Colonist
    I think you are missing my point but that is ok.  I see where you are coming from.  No worries though.  And it could be our reactions to things are different based on how we view things daily.
  • bunnypfbunnypf  
    Colonist
    Thoth said:

bunnypf said:

Oh, I saw where you were going with this; and I'm not necessarily against the idea of an essentially immortal being being left on earth and all that follows.  My problem with this though is that if Weyland is on the ship and made up to look like an old man and is hobbling around right up until the end when he takes off his disguise to reveal the truth most people will laugh - me included.  An idea like this needs time and you can't just spring it on the audience at the end of the movie.  I've said this before, the more out there a movie is the more you need to ground the characters and as much of the plot as you can.  To pull a move like this at the end of the movie is too much like the old hat on a hat pitfall in comedy.

With all that said, who knows.  If it goes down like this and they pull it off then both of my hats will be off to RS and company.

Why at the end of the movie though? Could be the reveal comes in the second act. Thinking about it, it seems pretty pointless to have Weyland finance this Pet Project, smuggle himself away on the ship, go to the temple only to die shortly afterwards. Might as well have left him as a TED talk and holographic message.

What we also have to consider is that Pearce is in his mid-forties and very fit, if you are casting for a 90 year old why not employ an actor closer to that age?

• ummesterummester  
    AssFlower
    bunnypf said:

Thoth said:

What we also have to consider is that Pearce is in his mid-forties and very fit, if you are casting for a 90 year old why not employ an actor closer to that age?

At first I was with Thoth, thinking you were proposing some kind of Scooby Doo ending - which would make me laugh, also.

But this is very good reasoning. Why cast pearce indeed? Just for a promotional video? That doesn't make sense.

Not buying that Weyland is a SJ or God but am thinking there could be other explanations - like Weyland does get younger in the film. He is a mean SOB who sent them all as lambs to the slaughter because he knows that something on the planet can be engineered to make him young again, or something.

Suck fuddlety!
  • bunnypfbunnypf  (2 like this)
    Colonist
    Believe me, the Scooby Doo thing crossed my mind as well (and I chuckled) but if done right - synthetic flesh melting off in his hands to reveal blue-gray skin underneath - may work if done correctly.

Welcome!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Login with Facebook Sign In with Google Sign In with OpenID

Forum Tips

• Bookmark All Discussions to catch all of the action.
• Introduce yourself here.
• Click your username for more options.
Dismiss to unsticky discussions.
Imgur for hosting images.
• Email: prometheusforum@gmail.com
• More forum tips.