Prometheus Forum
We are the Gods now
‘Discover Prometheus’ with these New Images!
  • kjohnson26kjohnson26  
    Colonist
    A different image; the shot of Prometheus rising and assumedly chasing the space jockey ship shows that the Prometheus shot over and fairly close to one of the temple tops or it could be one of the mountain ridges around the valley.

• rabidrangerrabidranger  
    Colonist
    That overhead shot definately seems to indicate more of an infrastrucure.
  • ARCARC  
    Colonist
    I thought the bit at the bottom was the target, namely the Space Croissant (TM)
    "I've seen things you people wouldn't believe..."
  • drxs0drxs0  (1 like this)
    Colonist

I don't think the murals are just for decoration - I believe they serve a purpose. Given that Ridley was very much into the idea of explaining the things in Alien that nobody cared to explain in the later Alien movies (e.g. space jockeys), I can't believe he overlooks a key concept of the whole Alien/crashed Space Jockey ship...

Namely, who, and for what purpose, created the reactive thin beam of light/mist which covers/protects all the eggs in the room underneath the space jockey's seat in Alien???

I don't believe that the thin film of mist has anything to do with protective mother instinct of Alien Queens etc... It was deliberately engineered by the space jockey.

I firmly believe that the walls/murals in Prometheus have some kind of "reactive" connection in the same way the film of mist protects the eggs in Alien. I believe the murals are in some way "activated" merely by the crew setting foot in the area, and in so doing "activating" a series of events we don't (yet) know about.

The only other purpose I can think the murals serve, is as a self-writing diary of events in picture form, similar to the lump of metal whch turns out to be a recording device in Spielberg's "Taken"

It is a Temple, a holy place.  You can tell that just by the way the urns are lined up around the head.  The paintings tell a story of creation, how beings became with the help of Gods.  If the sketches (previous pages) are right it shows an almost submissive pose to the humanoid figure.  Creator and subject.  We do not know how many more images there are along the ceiling, but one thing is for certain.....They do change......and Shaw is either crying out of amazement, fear, or joy.  I know I cry when I find something amazing...It is just something we women do alot of. LOL
    ~In Space No One Can Hear You Scream~
  • bunnypfbunnypf  
    Colonist
    So are the urns offerings or worshippers waiting to be born? And why are they being stored elsewhere?
    "Once upon a time I was a hell of an Engineer."
  • rabidrangerrabidranger  
    Colonist
    Let's assume it is a "holy place" of sorts. How does that reconcile with the fact that the natives appear to be restless? Descriptions such as "perverse", "biomechanoid killers", the Devil, etc. have been used with regard to them.
  • JonesycatpantsJonesycatpants  (2 like this)
    Catpower
    The humanoid in the mural could represent Prometheus?
    Jonesy you little shit..you're staying right here
  • kjohnson26kjohnson26  
    Colonist
    ARC said:

I thought the bit at the bottom was the target, namely the Space Croissant (TM)

I don't think its part of the SJ ship; the texture is a bit different, and it would seem to indicate Prometheus is above the SJ ship, maybe being chased by it, instead of the Prometheus chasing it. The other thought is that there is a second SJ ship controlled by someone that is also chasing the first SJ ship. But there isn't a lot to support that conjecture.
  • bunnypfbunnypf  (1 like this)
    Colonist

Let's assume it is a "holy place" of sorts. How does that reconcile with the fact that the natives appear to be restless? Descriptions such as "perverse", "biomechanoid killers", the Devil, etc. have been used with regard to them.

Perhaps the guards did not like unbelievers looting the temple?
    "Once upon a time I was a hell of an Engineer."
  • roguedesignerroguedesigner  (1 like this)
    Colonist
    I can only buy the idea of a temple if it was built by a race other than the SJs. Why would they build a temple to themselves? Arrogance? I don't see it. The only way I can see it being built by the SJs is if it were dedicated to somebody else - the as yet unseen and unconfirmed Saucer People. The idea of their existence is one that I like a lot and buy into. Of course, building a place of worship assumes that they have similar abstract ideas to  our own in the first place; the concept of spirituality may be universal but even amongst our own race it finds its expression in many diverse ways, and by no means all of those involve the concept of a house of God.

Assuming for the sake of argument that it isn't a temple, it is still a clearly significant place. Perhaps a repository of knowledge, a library of sorts - but not a library that we would immediately recognise as such. Maybe it was built to mark a significant event and is regarded as a place of great power - or a source of fear. The entire complex may exist for the sole purpose of telling a story. A story which probably doesn't end well for everybody. Ancient man used sculpture and architecture to record history, If the race who built this place taught the ancients how to build, is it a stretch to think that they may still themselves record events in the same way? It doesn't make them primitive, just very different.
  • GrizmGrizm  (2 like this)
    Colonist
    Perhaps the big head represents their King? Are we seeing a Galactic Ramses?

They go out and seed planets, or whatever, following his orders and the urns are offerings? Or maybe the temple is a burial complex? Could this be the King's crypt?
  • MotherFatherMotherFather  
    Colonist

Worshipping the gods, making sacrificial offerings to the gods, temples etc,..

By definition, the idea of faith/religion/otherwordly temples etc... does all make perfect sense - faith and worship is an age-old theme, after all. But, I just don't think the film Prometheus should ham it up that much. Its a little too vanilla for my liking. Yes it makes sense, it just seems like the easier, predictable option. X-files already did the whole Scully struggle to reconcile science with religion and I guess I'm a little weary of the film treading the same ground theme-wise.

What would be great, is that the place is not a temple, but a lab/storage bunker. Like a wine cellar with a huge inventory of bottles you can't keep track of, the murals could act a cataloging system to designate what each of the Ampules contain / will contain in the end afer careful engineering. Kind of like an interstellar dewey decimal system to help catalog and track each Ampule without the need to open each one and inspect its contents.

I like the idea of unlocking things. E.g. depending on where a person stands (e.g. on pressure plates) in relation to which Ampule, it activates a Mural describing what each Ampule contains. Like some Tomb Raider-style puzzle, you can probably even mix your own cocktail of Ampules/Bio DNA, and use the murals to predict what the resulting genetically engineered entity might look like.

• TallgeeseTallgeese  (2 like this)
    Colonist
    Sort of off topic, but it's relative to the temples:

At this point, it seems like it's been confirmed that there is a humanoid-shaped head on top of one of the temples that seems to coincide with the "Big Head™" inside of the temple. We've also seen in one of the TV Spot trailers (or it could have been the IMAX trailer, I'm not sure) that there are about 4-5 different temples all lined up.

My question is; do all of the temples have the same humanoid head on/inside of them? Or is only one temple dedicated to humans? It would be somewhat of a surprise to see that each temple is dedicated to a different species/race that was created or bio engineered by the SJs (assuming the SJs are the ones who did all of this).
  • rabidrangerrabidranger  
    Colonist
    Tallgeese said:

Sort of off topic, but it's relative to the temples:

At this point, it seems like it's been confirmed that there is a humanoid-shaped head on top of one of the temples that seems to coincide with the "Big Head™" inside of the temple. We've also seen in one of the TV Spot trailers (or it could have been the IMAX trailer, I'm not sure) that there are about 4-5 different temples all lined up.

My question is; do all of the temples have the same humanoid head on/inside of them? Or is only one temple dedicated to humans? It would be somewhat of a surprise to see that each temple is dedicated to a different species/race that was created or bio engineered by the SJs (assuming the SJs are the ones who did all of this).

Good call. That might be one of the "gotcha" moments of the movie (kind of like the reveal of the giant statue on the Island in Lost).

• MustangJeffMustangJeff  (1 like this)
    Colonist

Does anyone else think that the creature crouching next to the Engineer in the mural looks somewhat like the creature that is throwning the crewmber against the transport in the IMAX trailer? 

The creature in the IMAX trailer looks to have very long arms and legs.

http://imageshack.us/f/834/prometheuspreview108006.jpg/

http://i.imgur.com/xpBpI.gif

• rabidrangerrabidranger  
    Colonist

Good call. That might be one of the "gotcha" moments of the movie (kind of like the reveal of the giant statue on the Island in Lost).

• ThothThoth  
    Colonist

Does anyone else think that the creature crouching next to the Engineer in the mural looks somewhat like the creature that is throwning the crewmber against the transport in the IMAX trailer? 

The creature in the IMAX trailer looks to have very long arms and legs.

http://imageshack.us/f/834/prometheuspreview108006.jpg/

No.  Again, to me it pretty much looks like a blob. 

Also, if something is just an assumption or conjecture, I find it helps me to preface my comments by stating that.  For example, assuming there is a figure crouching next to the engineer...  Otherwise it's too easy to slip into think it has already been demonstrated..
  • IpaddleIpaddle  (1 like this)
    Colonist
    The mural with the SJ and the alien looks like there is a master/dog relationship. A master and his pet or watchdog, right?
  • SlyTManSlyTMan  (2 like this)
    Colonist
    With the inclusion of the murals it's beginning to remind me a lot of 'At the Mountains of Madness,' especially this whole section from the plot summary:

"Dyer and a graduate student named Danforth fly an airplane over the
    mountains, which they soon realize are the outer wall of a huge,
    abandoned stone city of cubes and cones, utterly alien compared with any
    human architecture. Because of their resemblance to creatures of myth mentioned in the Necronomicon, the builders of this lost civilization are dubbed the "Elder Things".
    By exploring these fantastic structures, the men are able to learn the
    history of the Elder Things by interpreting their magnificent hieroglyphic murals: The Elder Things first came to Earth shortly after the Moon was pulled loose from the planet and were the creators of life. They built their cities with the help of "Shoggoths",
    biological entities created to perform any task, assume any form, and
    reflect any thought. As more buildings are explored, a fantastic vista
    opens of the history of races beyond the scope of man's understanding,
    including the Elder Things' conflicts with the Star-spawn of Cthulhu and the Mi-go
    who arrived on Earth some time after the Elder Things themselves. The
    images also reflect a degradation in the order of this civilization, as
    the Shoggoths gain independence. As more resources are applied to
    maintaining order, the etchings become haphazard and primitive. The
    murals also allude to some unnamed evil in an even larger mountain range
    just past their city which even they fear greatly. Eventually, as
    Antarctica became uninhabitable even for the Elder Things, they migrated
    into a large, subterranean ocean."
  • drxs0drxs0  
    Colonist
    Wow that does sound like our story.  Doesn't really bother me if it is similar, Lovecraft had a very dark demented mind.

Wiki had this to say about Lovecraft: The central theme in most of Lovecraft's works is that of forbidden knowledge.[13]
    Some critics argue that this theme is a reflection of Lovecraft's
    contempt of the world around him, causing him to search inwardly for
    knowledge and inspiration.[14]
    In Lovecraft's works the search for forbidden knowledge drives many of
    the main characters. In most of his works this knowledge proves Promethean
    in nature either filling the seeker with regret from what they have
    learned, destroying them psychically, or completely destroying the
    person who holds the knowledge.

I found that interesting and very very similar to what we know already.
    ~In Space No One Can Hear You Scream~
  • SargeISdeadSargeISdead  
    Colonist
    I know we hate using the word Xeno around here but that "creature" if that is what it is, in the mural, looks oddly like a possible early version of a xeno/alien. It has the barbs/tentacle like appendages on the elbows at least. Just speculation. Perhaps it is one of the SJ's greatest creations, before it gets all banana headed and evil.
    Do you know the difference between Justice and Punishment?
  • JrwausJrwaus  
    Colonist
    I'm wondering if shot 2 is the prometheus as its about to ram the croissant?
    It's a bughunt
  • tifosi77tifosi77  
    Colonist
    Kol said:

This is........ awesome.  @-)
    Perfect organism.
  • SlyTManSlyTMan  
    Colonist
    Oh yeah it doesn't bother me at all, in fact it makes me more excited to see where they take this.
  • ThothThoth  
    Colonist
    More conjecture.  Could it be that the human figure is wearing a suit.  It looks as if he might have boots that go half-way up his thy.  Also, there appears to be something at his right hip, which looks like it could be part of a belt.  In a number of places over the body there are lines that give the impression of folds in clothing.  In addition, as I mentioned before, there appears to be a scar or sutures on his chest.  However, maybe these are the clasps for closing the suit.  Finally, there is something near his neck on his right side.  Maybe this is a ring around his neck that could be used for attaching and sealing on a helmet. 

Welcome!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Login with Facebook Sign In with Google Sign In with OpenID

Forum Tips

• Bookmark All Discussions to catch all of the action.
• Introduce yourself here.
• Click your username for more options.
Dismiss to unsticky discussions.
Imgur for hosting images.
• Email: prometheusforum@gmail.com
• More forum tips.