Prometheus Forum
We are the Gods now
In the distant future Two Superpowers control Earth and fight each other
  • JasonDiazJasonDiaz  
    Colonist
     "In the distant future two superpowers control Earth and fight each other for all the solar system's natural resources." 

I heard this is a subplot of Prometheus. I was wondering what's everyones' thoughts what possible roll this will play out in the movie. Some say this is perhaps a main plot that's not shown in the trailers. Could it be Yutani, seems like everything points toward them based on canon. Also was wondering about Earth's resources perhaps being depleted that two superpower companies are duking it out for natural resources found in our solar system. I feel like this might be what the writers were describing that Prometheus will be it's own franchise with some DNA of Alien. Thinking the mysterious corp is just as interesting as the SJ.
    "Not too close, I hope"
  • ramp_closingramp_closing  
    Colonist
    I believe that copy goes on to mention "indigenous biomechanical killers".  Pretty revealing phrase if true.  We haven't really seen any confirmation of this stuff, but it is interesting.
    My hot dog has a first name. It's es pee yew en kay.
  • ViscalViscal  
    Brometheus
    Best guess is that the other "side" is Yutani

In the distant future, two superpowers control Earth and fight each other for all the solar system’s natural resources. When one side dispatches a team to a distant planet to terraform it for human colonization, the team discovers an indigenous race of bio-mechanoid killers.

Ridley Scott, director of ‘Alien’ and ‘Blade Runner,’ returns to the genre he helped define. With PROMETHEUS, he creates a groundbreaking mythology, in which a team of explorers discover a clue to the origins of mankind on Earth, leading them on a thrilling journey to the darkest corners of the universe. There, they must fight a terrifying battle to save the future of the human race.
    I wanna go home and party.
  • ThothThoth  
    Colonist
    Viscal:

I agree, and the war eventually ends with their merger.
  • TerraformerTerraformer  (3 like this)
    Biggus_Diccus
    then they get taken over by WalMart
    Any views, opinions or comments by Terraformer are not those of Prometheusforum.net and purely for entertainment purposes only and not to be taken seriously and not to be read by anyone.
  • ramp_closingramp_closing  (1 like this)
    Colonist

Ugh.  One more reason to hate AR.
  • TerraformerTerraformer  (1 like this)
    Biggus_Diccus

wish i could kill whoever wrote the script for AR before he screws up another series (oh shit = the avengers)
    Any views, opinions or comments by Terraformer are not those of Prometheusforum.net and purely for entertainment purposes only and not to be taken seriously and not to be read by anyone.
  • kjohnson26kjohnson26  (2 like this)
    Colonist

It will all be Weymart one day.
  • rabidrangerrabidranger  
    Colonist

I believe that copy goes on to mention "indigenous biomechanical killers".  Pretty revealing phrase if true.  We haven't really seen any confirmation of this stuff, but it is interesting.

That is interesting since it suggests a "home world" of sorts.
  • ramp_closingramp_closing  
    Colonist
    Yeah.  The planet doesn't exactly look like the cradle of high civilization, does it?
  • JasonDiazJasonDiaz  
    Colonist
    Well in light of current events, Apple is at a patent/product with other companies, i.e. Samsung, Google, Motorola, HTC. Apple even combined forces with their old foe Microsoft. Perhaps inspirations to the Weyland Corps is Apple, their stocks price, market cap and stock pile of cash is off the charts. And the whole Siri artificial intelligence thing - when life mimics science fiction. 

What does that even mean, indigenous to earth or LV-223? Biomechanical, isn't David considered biomech? 

The trailers are what about 3 min combined if that, and based on the press teaser, seems like they find the drawings and then set out on the mission and then fly then land. RS did say most of the movie is not in the ship as it were with Alien. So is the whole movie on the planet? Would like to see more about these two companies. Earth resources seems like it's enough of a reason for companies to go to war over in this movie.
    "Not too close, I hope"
  • JasonDiazJasonDiaz  
    Colonist

Yeah.  The planet doesn't exactly look like the cradle of high civilization, does it?

Which LV-223 planet looks a lot like Eridu, a pile of dirt and rock. I don't think for both that it was the case maybe at an earlier time both had more invisible signs of vegetation or life. Who dwells in a place with no air, unless the SJ are hiding out or they can breath the air. Didn't someone say the air is volatile.
    "Not too close, I hope"
  • terrapinbearterrapinbear  
    Colonist
    JasonDiaz said:

Well in light of current events, Apple is at a patent/product with other companies, i.e. Samsung, Google, Motorola, HTC. Apple even combined forces with their old foe Microsoft. Perhaps inspirations to the Weyland Corps is Apple, their stocks price, market cap and stock pile of cash is off the charts. And the whole Siri artificial intelligence thing - when life mimics science fiction. 

What does that even mean, indigenous to earth or LV-223? Biomechanical, isn't David considered biomech? 

The trailers are what about 3 min combined if that, and based on the press teaser, seems like they find the drawings and then set out on the mission and then fly then land. RS did say most of the movie is not in the ship as it were with Alien. So is the whole movie on the planet? Would like to see more about these two companies. Earth resources seems like it's enough of a reason for companies to go to war over in this movie.

David is considered a "cybernetic individual" as per Peter Weyland in his TED Talk.  The Xenomorph and Space Jockeys are biomechanical or "biomechanoid".
    =\/\/= The Prometheus Has Landed! =\/\/=
    Colonist

It will all be Weymart one day.

You can become a member of Yutani's Club, too.
  • rabidrangerrabidranger  (1 like this)
    Colonist
    I'm looking forward to seeing why the Space Jockeys are holed up on this particular barren crag.
  • JrwausJrwaus  
    Colonist
    Yes, I think that reason might be very central to the whole story. Are they holed up, guardians of old gods, priests or underlings?
    It's a bughunt
  • ummesterummester  
    AssFlower

I'm confused?

Isn't 2093 a relatively near future?

Didn't Weyland buy Yutani out way before then?

This sounds a fan plot or possibly an early script, in which Weyalnd and Yutani have been running competative mining operations and come across a Xeno homeworld.

This isn't very much like the different trailers I have seen that show a single vessel exploring a planet that looks dead but was once home to humanoid creatures, in which the crew activates some kind of proto lifeform and becomes infected.

Suck fuddlety!
  • rabidrangerrabidranger  
    Colonist
    Yeah, there's something very off about the planet. It's not just a burial ground or sacred place, as it contains hangars for the Space Jockey ships. Curious mix of old and new school. It also seems to be lacking in what would consider visible civilization. No cities, noticable population, or even flora and fauna. Shoot, can the atmosphere even support life? I smell a trap!
  • HephaestusHephaestus  
    Colonist

Neither do the sands of Iraq! But that area was the cradle of our civilisation!
    Things fall apart, the centre cannot hold; mere anarchy is loosed upon the world.
  • homer1962homer1962  
    Colonist

Yeah, there's something very off about the planet. It's not just a burial ground or sacred place, as it contains hangars for the Space Jockey ships. Curious mix of old and new school. It also seems to be lacking in what would consider visible civilization. No cities, noticable population, or even flora and fauna. Shoot, can the atmosphere even support life? I smell a trap!

Isn't area 51 out in the middle of a desert?
  • drxs0drxs0  
    Colonist
    I have a serious problem with the whole terra forming aspect.  Prometheus does not look like a terraforming ship. To me it is more of a science vessel.  Could be wrong..wouldn't be the first time.
    ~In Space No One Can Hear You Scream~
  • ummesterummester  
    AssFlower

Was being the important thing here.

Seriously, does anyone think that a race of vastly intelligent sentient beings would live in the ruins we have seen in the trailers?

Suck fuddlety!
  • homer1962homer1962  
    Colonist
    ummester said:

Seriously, does anyone think that a race of vastly intelligent sentient beings would live in the ruins we have seen in the trailers?

Yep. Because we don't know how SJs think. Maybe they prefer ruins to sipping cocktails by a pool in Fiji. Also we haven't seen the whole of the "ruins".
  • ummesterummester  (2 like this)
    AssFlower
    homer1962 said:

ummester said:

Yep. Because we don't know how SJs think. Maybe they prefer ruins to sipping cocktails by a pool in Fiji. Also we haven't seen the whole of the "ruins".

I just had a honeymoon where i was sipping cocktails by pools and oceans in Fiji - wierd:)

So it's a SJ resort - those blue guys just love saving up their hard earned to get down with the slimy worms in the caves. SJ paradise!

I'm not seeing it, but I am open to the possibility.

Suck fuddlety!
  • kjohnson26kjohnson26  
    Colonist
    Wasn't that quote first associated with the AMC IMAX trailer screening? I think its just something made up by an AMC employee that no one at Fox bothered to correct so its taken on a life of its own. I am largely going to think its not relevant. It could tie in with Vickers being some kind of corporate spy, but I am rather skeptical of that too.
    Colonist
    ummester said:

The ruins are just a front, a cover for the Space Jockeys' biomechanical city underground.

Welcome!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Login with Facebook Sign In with Google Sign In with OpenID

Forum Tips

• Bookmark All Discussions to catch all of the action.
• Introduce yourself here.
• Click your username for more options.
Dismiss to unsticky discussions.
Imgur for hosting images.
• Email: prometheusforum@gmail.com
• More forum tips.