Prometheus Forum
We are the Gods now
Prometheus Footage Screening + Q&A in London
  • NickIsSmartNickIsSmart  (1 like this)
    Flaming_Telepath
    Well, these people were writing notes in the dark - while trying to watch and absorb as much as possible. However, with so much to take in, there's bound to be mistakes.

Edit: Interesting. "If you've got something hanging around in the foreground [that looks out of place] tell it to f**k off." And that, ladies and gentlemen, is why Ridley is the man! : )
    "It's all in the reflexes."
  • ummesterummester  
    AssFlower

they could have called it LV-666:)

That long review is making me wonder if it is actually holloway that knocks shaw up or something else. It must be because I can see a human getting impregnated by an alien get away with a PG - unless it is something not yet considerred - like not a c -section but removing an attatched lifeform from herself or something.

One proto facehugger can only one xeno maketh - unless it's different, I guess.

Suck fuddlety!
  • ViscalViscal  
    Brometheus
    Cinemart (UK) has theirs up!

‘Big things have small beginnings,’ says android David (Michael Fassbender) in a viral video promo for Ridley Scott’s Prometheus. Indeed, the 1979 sci-fi classic, Alien, starts with some poor astronaut named Kane (John Hurt) finding a chamber filled with mysterious eggs. From a truly monstrous birth a horror franchise was born and the rest was supposed to be history – certainly for Ridley Scott.

The director began Prometheus or ‘Prequel to Alien’ (as Noomi Rapace, in the Q&A, admitted the film was known before the title change) asking a question none of the other directors (James Cameron, David Fincher or Jean-Pierre Jeunet) failed to ponder. “Who was the big fella?’

The ‘Space Jockey’, a name/description that perplexes Scott to this day, was the skeletal remains of an alien being sat in some sort of giant chair with a hole in his chest. No other director or writer thought much of this creature but Scott was drawn to questions surrounding it and from this Prometheus grew into a film that shares ‘DNA’ with Alien, but isn’t a true prequel. Do we believe them?…

On 10th April 2012, in central London, gathered bloggers and journalists were treated to a montage reel of scenes from the movie (all take place in the first act by the look of things). We were told by the marketing people we were the first people in the whole wide world to see this footage outside the studio. However, there were no major surprises and this preview was clearly designed to whet the appetite and make people generally excited to see the finished product. Given everybody is already dying from excitement anyway, it seems a bit pointless, yet still pretty cool. Go figure…

The first clip takes place on the Isle of Skye, Scotland, and sees Dr. Elizabeth Shaw and Dr. Holloway (Logan Marshall-Green) finding a cave, some 35,000 year old drawings and what looks like a star map. They are clearly excited (and loved up).

The second clip featured a stunning shot of outer space (I’ll admit it, the 3D here was ace). This shot also echoes the opening of Alien but slyly subverts it when the outer edge of a surface enveloped in darkness turns out to be the Prometheus spacecraft and not a planet.

We are now in 2093, some years after the Isle of Sky sequence, and deep in space. David, the android, is walking about the ship preparing for everybody to wake. Once the crew awakes, they are suffering from the effects of space travel (Elizabeth Shaw throws up into a container – nice) and Meredith Vickers (Charlize Theron) is quickly established as a bit of a corporate bitch. She talks to David in that ‘Master to Servant’ tone which is cold and aloof. David, given he doesn’t possess emotions, just smiles blandly on.

Next up was a scene featuring Guy Peace (heavily made up with prosthetics) as Peter Weyland. He’s recorded a message for the crew explaining Holloway and Shaw are basically in charge and the reason why he gave these crazy kids a spaceship and loads of money to find the origin of life. Weyland says David is like a son to him even though he’s a robot servant.

So what do these scenes amount to? Not a lot, that’s for sure. There’s a sense Prometheus will contain some grand surprises and Ridley Scott (don’t call him ‘Sir’ because he gets embarrassed) clearly likes toying with an audience. When a person in the crowd mentioned the original film’s iconic ‘chestburster’ scene, Scott noted there is a scene in Prometheus which could be said to have a similar ‘What the fuck!’ shock factor. The director revealed it was shot on a closed set and none of the actors apart from Noomi Rapace know about it. Interesting…

During the enjoyable and good natured Q&A, which included Fassbender comically admonishing Charlize Theron for interrupting him, little was revealed beyond the usual boring talk about character back story (Elizabeth Shaw was born in Africa and her dad a missionary) and Scott insisting Prometheus is only really an Alien film in the last ten minutes.

Scott definitely came to life when talking about graphic design and how the film was designed. He clearly loves building the worlds his flicks take place in. Prometheus looks pretty incredible on design and photography levels, let’s hope the story matches such graphic perfection. One of the major reasons Scott didn’t want to make another sci-fi film for years and year was he felt once you’ve seen one you’ve seen them all. It appears with Prometheus he’s found something new to say and explore whilst presenting it as related to his second feature, Alien.

There’s no doubting Prometheus looks stunning and the eagle-eyed viewer will spot design similarities between the interior of the spacecraft and the Nostromo. What is interesting is how Prometheus and Alien clearly occupy the same universe but allows for different production design. The Prometheus ship is clearly well more expensive and sleeker than the Nostromo, which was a commercial vessel carrying minerals back to Earth.

This short event, whilst certainly cool to see, didn’t reveal a great deal. We have learned dates, names and spotted the odd visual reference and nothing more. Clearly Twentieth Century Fox and Ridley Scott wish to keep their picture under wraps. The best thing about it was seeing potential character dynamics. David the android sees a very peculiar character – he smiles a lot which suggests something creepy could happen – and I don’t mean in the demented Ash sense. Maybe he’ll the only character, who under pressure, starts behaving rationally and kindly.

Meredith Vickers, Theron’s character, is clearly a hard-headed corporate type and in the second clip barks orders at David, and even asks nonchalantly if any of the crew have died during the trip. We also see Idris Elba’s Captain Janek attempting to spread a little cheer and goodwill on the Prometheus with a Christmas tree, only for Vickers to seem utterly bemused by this action.

For now Prometheus’ and its major secrets remain under wraps but what I’ve seen today fills me with even greater levels of excitement. Ridley Scott – at his absolute best – transports audiences to some scary and brilliant places.

Big things have small beginnings yet big budgets can lead to small box office. Scott needs to tread carefully and a balancing act needs to be delivered regarding its relationship to Alien. Fans do not want to be disappointed. The last thing cinema-goers want is to feel conned: “It’s not an Alien movie!” We want a new story, new characters and to forget the sequels which got progressively worst because they continued to centre on Ripley – which was ridiculous. Scott takes us back whilst promising something we haven’t seen before.

http://cinemart-online.co.uk/2012/04/10/special-report-prometheus-footage-preview/
    I wanna go home and party.
  • NickIsSmartNickIsSmart  (2 like this)
    Flaming_Telepath
    Another article.

"Once everybody is up and dressed, they have a little breakfast. The
    echoes of Alien in this scene are plentiful. Shaw is wearing a grey
    uniform that positively screams its callback to the original designs,
    complete with sewn on patches. Even the table looks familiar."

Awesome.

• bunnypfbunnypf  
    Colonist
    drxs0 said:

"This thing was clearly some kind of life form, probably alien in origin,
    though it’s believed that mutated humans will feature in the story too.
    It looked a bit like a flower crossed with a sphincter and it had sharp
    claws or teeth or other protrusions of that kind. And it seemed to be
    reaching up and coming towards the screen. There was undoubtedly a touch
    of “Facehugger plus” about this thing."

Sounds to me like he is describing cuddles.

And this part " As well as the now well-known “star chart” element in the image, with a
    taller figure (representative of the Space Jockey) pointing to the
    heavens, one of the cave drawings shows a big, deadly looking… something, attacking a group of smaller human figures." 

I have seen that image the tall guy does not look like he is attacking.  Quite the opposite, more like the people are worshiping him.

There is another cave painting in the footage that they saw which was not in the trailers. The other painting showed a creature attacking the humans.
    "Once upon a time I was a hell of an Engineer."
  • ummesterummester  
    AssFlower
    Weyland says Shaw and Holloway are basically in charge? that's interesting - he wants the crackpots to run the mission:) Definately lambs to the slaughter:)
    Suck fuddlety!
  • ViscalViscal  
    Brometheus
    When a person in the crowd mentioned the original film’s iconic ‘chestburster’ scene, Scott noted there is a scene in Prometheus which could be said to have a similar ‘What the fuck!’ shock factor. The director revealed it was shot on a closed set and none of the actors apart from Noomi Rapace know about it. Interesting…

So this is Shaw and squid baby here?  If true, kinda saddened by the fact we sort of figured out what will happen in the medlab scene and that's as climatic as it gets when it comes to burstin'.
  • Kuato_LivesKuato_Lives  
    Colonist
    With Weyland saying Shaw and Holloway are in charge it looks like there will be power struggle subplot between them and Vickers considering what we already know about Vickers.
  • drxs0drxs0  (1 like this)
    Colonist
    Viscal said:

When a person in the crowd mentioned the original film’s iconic ‘chestburster’ scene, Scott noted there is a scene in Prometheus which could be said to have a similar ‘What the fuck!’ shock factor. The director revealed it was shot on a closed set and none of the actors apart from Noomi Rapace know about it. Interesting…

So this is Shaw and squid baby here?  If true, kinda saddened by the fact we sort of figured out what will happen in the medlab scene.

I think it is.  why sad, just means we are smarter than the average bear.
    ~In Space No One Can Hear You Scream~
  • VodiVodi  
    Predator
    If I get any more excited I will (chest)burst!

I'm pretty sure we here know a lot more about the movie than all the media people who watched the footage today.

What are the biggest bits of info we've got today?

It's not LV-426?

Dave, this conversation can serve no purpose anymore. Goodbye.
  • VodiVodi  (1 like this)
    Predator
    Viscal said:

So this is Shaw and squid baby here?  If true, kinda saddened by the fact we sort of figured out what will happen in the medlab scene and that's as climatic as it gets when it comes to burstin'.

Yeah, me too. Our own fault though!
    Dave, this conversation can serve no purpose anymore. Goodbye.
  • ummesterummester  
    AssFlower
    Viscal said:

Also dumb to show so much of the new 'chestbuster' scene in the trailers.

we don't know how the life will elvolve yet though - how it will transition form cuddles to scary stuff, how cuddles gets to live or even if it transitions from cuddles to scary stuff

Suck fuddlety!
  • SargeISdeadSargeISdead  (1 like this)
    Colonist

"Scott insisting Prometheus is only really an Alien film in the last ten minutes."

So it's not a prequel but Scott says it's an "Alien Film" in the last 10 minutes...lol..ok...

Interesting tidbit about Shaw and the "chestburster," and given all of the footage we have of "cuddles" I wonder if it's not something different that happens to her besides the c-section. Maybe "Cuddles" left a little tidbit behind.

Hudson: "Maybe we've got em' demoralized..."
  • drxs0drxs0  
    Colonist
    That means its not our cuddles.  As that scene was put in the trailer.  And if only Noomi knows about it..........uggg.....I am jealous.
  • ViscalViscal  
    Brometheus
    drxs0 said:

I think it is.  why sad, just means we are smarter than the average bear.

I amended my last post. Basically said that it's as climatic as it gets when it comes to burstin'.  I was hoping for hot bursting action (preferably from an Engineer or two!).
  • NickIsSmartNickIsSmart  (1 like this)
    Flaming_Telepath
    Viscal said:

Surprise or no surprise, I'm in it for the visuals: the 3D, the lighting and cinematography, baby! A good story is just icing on the cake! : )
  • kjohnson26kjohnson26  
    Colonist
    Shaw vomiting after hyper sleep could indicate she was already pregnant as some others have conjectured or maybe not. I woud think she and others on the mission would have known before or right after coming out of hyper sleep of her condition.
  • NickIsSmartNickIsSmart  
    Flaming_Telepath
    It's possible, but other people are barfing, too.
  • ummesterummester  
    AssFlower
    Vodi said:

If I get any more excited I will (chest)burst!

I'm pretty sure we here know a lot more about the movie than all the media people who watched the footage today.

What are the biggest bits of info we've got today?

It's not LV-426?

And there is an Alien that looks like an ass flower - I didn't know that before

And Weyland puts the religious kids in charge - I don't think any of us knew that

Suck fuddlety!
  • drxs0drxs0  
    Colonist
    The ass flower could be our cuddles though.  It was described "It looked a bit like a flower crossed with a sphincter and it had sharp claws or teeth or other protrusions of that kind. And it seemed to be
    reaching up and coming towards the screen"  Since we haven't seen cuddles from the other side it could have a sphincter.
  • Kuato_LivesKuato_Lives  (1 like this)
    Colonist
    I'll tell you what I find interesting. Any one remember that scene in one of the trailers of Shaw cowering down before the Jockey? Could the Jockey possibly not have attacked her because of her baby? Much like the Alien in Alien 3 not attacking Ripley because she was impregnated with an Alien.
  • drxs0drxs0  
    Colonist
    bunnypf said:

drxs0 said:

And this part " As well as the now well-known “star chart” element in the image, with a
    taller figure (representative of the Space Jockey) pointing to the
    heavens, one of the cave drawings shows a big, deadly looking… something, attacking a group of smaller human figures." 

I have seen that image the tall guy does not look like he is attacking.  Quite the opposite, more like the people are worshiping him.

There is another cave painting in the footage that they saw which was not in the trailers. The other painting showed a creature attacking the humans.

It means we have seen it.  I think it is the Isle of Skye pictogram.
  • ummesterummester  
    AssFlower
    drxs0 said:

The ass flower could be our cuddles though.  It was described "It looked a bit like a flower crossed with a sphincter and it had sharp claws or teeth or other protrusions of that kind. And it seemed to be
    reaching up and coming towards the screen"  Since we haven't seen cuddles from the other side it could have a sphincter.

Probably is but my earlier question remains - how does a single proto ass flower face hugger make more than one new Xeno?

And, why doesn't Shaw kill her newborn petal?

Why doesn't anyone?

I'm feeling confident that some of the characters must make some fairly horrific choices as the plot progresses, even if they are not exactly as I have imagined them. The people in this film are going to do some nutty stuff:)

Suck fuddlety!
  • kjohnson26kjohnson26  
    Colonist

It's possible, but other people are barfing, too.

OK, the bits and pieces I read earlier seemed to indicate that Shaw was the only one vomiting. I guess I read to much into that, she may have just had more of a negative reaction than the others. 

Welcome!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Login with Facebook Sign In with Google Sign In with OpenID

Forum Tips

• Bookmark All Discussions to catch all of the action.
• Introduce yourself here.
• Click your username for more options.
Dismiss to unsticky discussions.
Imgur for hosting images.
• Email: prometheusforum@gmail.com
• More forum tips.