Prometheus Forum
We are the Gods now
Prometheus Footage Screening + Q&A in London
  • drxs0drxs0  
    Colonist
    ummester said:

drxs0 said:

Shoot I need to better proof my posts.  That should have read isn't not is.  Anyways some people get upset when their views are not taken seriously.  I for one am a firm believer in God and Heaven.  But if someone was to come in and tell me I was crazy and stupid for that belief I might take offense to it and say something I would regret, (typically I walk away though). It becomes a power struggle and there is tension and lives lost.  (OMG I was channeling Burke.  Kill me now please!)

We can have differing thoughts and opinions, but we need to respect others that have thoughts that we consider left, right or off center of what we believe.

I said the characters in the film were crazy to believe Aliens were God???

Huh?  You have lost me now.  Which by the way at 6 am is fairly easy to do.
    ~In Space No One Can Hear You Scream~
  • ummesterummester  
    AssFlower
    I just can't understand how refferring to Shaw and Holloway as crazy (which is an opinion on fictional characters in a film) can offend a real life person?
    Suck fuddlety!
  • drxs0drxs0  
    Colonist
    No not what I meant.  I meant those of us on the forum.  Fictional characters can be called crazy.  It is about offending those who you talk to here.  Of which you havent done to me.  There are several threads where the conversation has gotten heated...and that is what we want to avoid.
  • ummesterummester  
    AssFlower

I'm lost? Confused? Does this forum have an ignore feature? There is only one poster I'd put on it, because it seems any responce to them is considerred dangerous.

Suck fuddlety!
  • drxs0drxs0  
    Colonist
    Vodi said:

POLITE NOTICE

FACT: as the amount of religious chat rises, the likelihood of somebody getting upset, feeling attacked, or offending another person, increases exponentially.

With that in mind, please let's keep it civil - we're here to discuss an amazing movie with like-minded people

Keep it friendly, Marines!

This was the original post that prompted my posts.  He just wants things to run smooth is all.  No fighting over differing ideas.
  • ummesterummester  
    AssFlower
    I know drx, and I know you are just trying to help by explaining it. I guess the warning just seemed premature, as I wasn't aware of any attacking or anything - that was my point.
    Suck fuddlety!
  • drxs0drxs0  (2 like this)
    Colonist
    Maybe no attacks yet, but it could escalate quickly I am sure.  People tend to take things personally.

I do not like talking to people this way cause you ( or anyone else) can't hear my voice or hear the emotion behind it.  You can't hear me giggle at something as I write it.  And people can't see my body language.  But since this is the only way to discuss this I have to make sure I word things correctly.  And insert the proper emotions( either with emotes or text type).  But still things get lost in translation.  And that causes problems because people may not know I am joking if they do not read it.
  • ummesterummester  (3 like this)
    AssFlower

Yea, so it seems like discussing certain things is fine but only with people who can handle those things. Sort of like 'don't feed the trolls' except that we pet them instead:)

Anyways, this is totally OT and I don't want to drag things down with it. It's all good - I was just offended because I have been trying to respond to people who I know get upset about certain things without being harsh on any of those things, so as not to upset them, and then it felt like I got warned for trying to be nice.

Suck fuddlety!
  • drxs0drxs0  
    Colonist
    It was for all of us.  I took no offense.  Mainly cause I don't get offended often.  Back to regular Programing.....
  • ummesterummester  
    AssFlower

Yea, sorry. What was the thread - oh that's right, the one that went off as info came in on the sceening. Good thread - lots of ideas.

And we know the first 15 mins of the film - I have been thinking about getting all the scenes we have and trying to orgainise them in the most logical order.

Suck fuddlety!
  • drxs0drxs0  
    Colonist
    Good luck with that.  All I know is this.  There is a ship called Prometheus, there is a rich man involved somehow, some religious archeologist and her boyfriend find old pictures in caves, there are mercs with guns, an old man, some really tall blue guy with a seemingly bad attitude and of course cuddles.
  • ummesterummester  (2 like this)
    AssFlower

come on drx - you know heaps more.

The boyfriend gets the latest in organic SJ contacts.

There's a sexy but hard nosed chick called Vickers.

An android that gets picked on called Dave - only just saw the 2001 nod, took me a while:)

Android plays with some blue computer stuff.

There's a derelict from Alien, that isn't the derelict from Alien:), that prometheus crashes into.

Theres a doctor

A millionaire and his wife

A movie star

The professor and Marian

Suck fuddlety!
  • drxs0drxs0  (1 like this)
    Colonist
    ummester said:

An android that gets picked on called Dave - only just saw the 2001 nod, took me a while:)

There's a derelict from Alien, that isn't the derelict from Alien:), that prometheus crashes into.

Theres a doctor

A movie star

The professor and Marian

Seriously had me laughing with the contacts statement.  And personally I do not think Vickers is all that sexy.  And  yeah I forgot to add the Uboat ship.  Didn't know Weyland brought his wife, as for the rest......eh not sure.  But thanks for the laugh I needed it.
  • JrwausJrwaus  (1 like this)
    Colonist
    More 2001 references?

1 message left by alien beings.

2 send out a mission to investigate.

3 humans transcend into higher being.

Kubrick didn't tho add the horror. No doubt this has been mentioned and I haven't seen it in all .

It's a bughunt
  • homer1962homer1962  (1 like this)
    Colonist
    Jrwaus said:

More 2001 references?

1 message left by alien beings.

2 send out a mission to investigate.

3 humans transcend into higher being.

Kubrick didn't tho add the horror. No doubt this has been mentioned and I haven't seen it in all .

The Prometheus/ 2001 nexus has well and truly been discussed here.
  • rabidrangerrabidranger  
    Colonist
    Let's take Lindelhof's statement at face value. What scientific discovery in the film would make anyone question the existence of God? I hope he's not referring to the pictograms. That proves nothing. Even the alien planet itself is iffy unless the crew discovers irrefutable proof that there was an alien intelligence who created man. Even then, that doesn't preclude the existence of a highest power. Instead, the issue I can see arise is what if mankind's idea of God is wrong? That goes along with the notion of hoping to find God but finding the Devil instead.
  • kjohnson26kjohnson26  
    Colonist
    drxs0 said:

ummester said:

Theres a doctor

A movie star

The professor and Marian

Seriously had me laughing with the contacts statement.  And personally I do not think Vickers is all that sexy.  And  yeah I forgot to add the Uboat ship.  Didn't know Weyland brought his wife, as for the rest......eh not sure.  But thanks for the laugh I needed it.

You might not be that far off about the contact lens thing. If you look at that gif of the eye in slow motion, it seems that there could be more than one of the little worms and they have put multiple holes near the rim of the iris. I don't think Holloway just got infected, I think that he is undergoing body modification. The worms could actually be fixing an eyesight problem or improving the eye before they go into whole scale transformation.
  • rabidrangerrabidranger  
    Colonist
    Yeah, the worms could be benficial in a way (in the way nanomachines are being developed in use in medicine). It will be interesting to me if Holloway is harboring a secret of his own-maybe he is terminally sick?
  • ummesterummester  
    AssFlower

drxs0 said:

ummester said:

Theres a doctor

A movie star

The professor and Marian

You might not be that far off about the contact lens thing. If you look at that gif of the eye in slow motion, it seems that there could be more than one of the little worms and they have put multiple holes near the rim of the iris. I don't think Holloway just got infected, I think that he is undergoing body modification. The worms could actually be fixing an eyesight problem or improving the eye before they go into whole scale transformation.

I've thought about this - how the infection worls differently for different characters.

Some just seem sto get their heads melted, others seem to mutate and Holloway seems to transform. Only explanation I've come up with so far is that the characters with more, how can I say (so as not to offend) spiritual depth, are more prone to successful transformation. Perhaps the goo/virus can interact with humans on a mental level as well - the more they fear it, the nastier it is to them or something. It's a bit fantasy and wishy washy, so I'm not gelling with it as an explanation yet. Bit the different effects it has on different humans is intriguing.

Suck fuddlety!
  • kjohnson26kjohnson26  
    Colonist
    I advanced an idea last week that Holloway has the Broca implant mentioned in the Weyland timeline. The alien tech could download something that makes the Broca implant in Holloway's head start the bio-mechanic transformation off. The alien tech could have done it innocently in trying to communicate with Holloway or maybe it thought Holloway was an ill or malformed space jockey and tried to fix him. Or it could be malevolent. That would explain why Holloway's transformation is different from the other crew members, it would make Holloway's infection more reasonable; he did not do something dumb or intentionally infect himself.
  • ummesterummester  
    AssFlower
    That offers a reasonable Sci Fi explanation - but requires a lot of exposition in the film for the general audiences (who haven't read the timeline) without coming off all Star Trek gadgetty.
    Suck fuddlety!
  • kjohnson26kjohnson26  (1 like this)
    Colonist
    I think part of the reason for the Weyland timeline is to establish tech for the nerd oriented audience. Most of the general audience won't care one way or another. The Broca implant can be set up easily and shortly in the film. General audiences will likely be a bit familiar with such concepts from Star Trek and other type movies/TV series.

Welcome!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Login with Facebook Sign In with Google Sign In with OpenID

Forum Tips

• Bookmark All Discussions to catch all of the action.
• Introduce yourself here.
• Click your username for more options.
Dismiss to unsticky discussions.
Imgur for hosting images.
• Email: prometheusforum@gmail.com
• More forum tips.