Prometheus Forum
We are the Gods now
A Star Map, an Invitation, or a Warning?
  • NickIsSmartNickIsSmart  (1 like this)
    Flaming_Telepath
    "They go in and set up these atmospheric processors to make the air breathable. Takes decades!" he cried enthusiastically. He smiled and added smugly, "It's what we call a Shake 'N Bake colony!"
    "Oh, hi, Mark."
  • SargeISdeadSargeISdead  
    Colonist

"The remainder of the scene features Shaw uncovering an ancient illustration on the cave wall and showing it to her fellow archaeologist and apparent romantic partner, Charlie Holloway, played by Logan Marshall Green. As well as the now well-known “star chart” element in the image, with a taller figure (representative of the Space Jockey) pointing to the heavens, one of the cave drawings shows a big, deadly looking… something, attacking a group of smaller human figures."

This is from the Bleeding Cool article from the thread about the 20 minutes of footage. http://www.bleedingcool.com/2012/04/10/ive-just-seen-bunch-of-scenes-from-prometheus-want-tell-about-them/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+BleedingCool+%28Bleeding+Cool+Comic+News+%26+Rumors%29

Do you know the difference between Justice and Punishment?
  • drxs0drxs0  
    Colonist
    And that comment bugs me.  We have seen that pictogram.  And he isnt attacking anyone. 
    ~In Space No One Can Hear You Scream~
  • SargeISdeadSargeISdead  
    Colonist
    drxs0 said:

And that comment bugs me.  We have seen that pictogram.  And he isnt attacking anyone. 

I'm thinking maybe they were shown something not seen in the trailer with regards to the star chart and maybe the quote is a bit misleading. I know there is the close up with the one with the alien(SJ?) point to the heavens and there's nothing else in it, so maybe they were shown an entirely different close-up or piece of the chart we haven't seen. The writer probably should have stopped his sentence at "pointing to the heavens." and then said, "and then we see another image." The way it's written makes it look like they saw that on the close-up that we have all seen with the SJ pointing upwards surrounded by people.
    Do you know the difference between Justice and Punishment?
  • drxs0drxs0  
    Colonist
     I would love to be wrong on this.  and honestly I hope I am.

~In Space No One Can Hear You Scream~
  • ThothThoth  
    Colonist
    drxs0 said:

Maybe they are just misinterpreting the case painting.  After all, there are a lot of animals drawn on the wall.  Maybe they think they are attaching the humans.
  • ummesterummester  
    AssFlower
    Thoth said:

drxs0 said:

Maybe they are just misinterpreting the case painting.  After all, there are a lot of animals drawn on the wall.  Maybe they think they are attaching the humans.

I'm going with that for now.

The plot would be too complicated and too AVP if there were aliens other than the SJs visiting Earth.

Suck fuddlety!
  • bunnypfbunnypf  
    Colonist
    ummester said:

Thoth said:

drxs0 said:

I'm going with that for now.

The plot would be too complicated and too AVP if there were aliens other than the SJs visiting Earth.

But if our blue giant friend is telling the natives about his home planet and how to get there perhaps he also tells them a few tales of the kind of horrors that live there?
    "Once upon a time I was a hell of an Engineer."
  • ramp_closingramp_closing  (1 like this)
    Colonist
    Why are people worried about this?  If this creature is associated with them on lv-223, what's wrong with having it with them when they pay us a visit?
    My hot dog has a first name. It's es pee yew en kay.
  • TallgeeseTallgeese  
    Colonist
    drxs0 said:

How can you be sure that it's the same pictogram that we saw in the trailer(s) and not a different one entirely?
  • bunnypfbunnypf  
    Colonist
    Tallgeese said:

drxs0 said:

How can you be sure that it's the same pictogram that we saw in the trailer(s) and not a different one entirely?

It's quite obvious that it's a different picture but in the same cave. Soemthing that we did not see in the trailers.

As well as the now well-known “star chart” element in the image, with a taller figure (representative of the Space Jockey) pointing to the heavens, one of the cave drawings shows a big, deadly looking… something, attacking a group of smaller human figures.

• ThothThoth  
    Colonist
    bunnypf said:

Tallgeese said:

drxs0 said:

It's quite obvious that it's a different picture but in the same cave. Soemthing that we did not see in the trailers.

As well as the now well-known “star chart” element in the image, with a taller figure (representative of the Space Jockey) pointing to the heavens, one of the cave drawings shows a big, deadly looking… something, attacking a group of smaller human figures.

I'm not so sure it is a different painting.  These are the elements of the one we've already seen: (1) the star configuration, (2) a large figure pointing to them, (3) smaller figures on their knees pointing upwards towards the stars, and (4) an animal between the stars and the smaller figures.  So, the smaller figures could (A) actually be pointing to the stars and on their knees in awe and worship of the larger figure.  Or, they could be (B) pointing at the beast that is ready to attack them and cringing in fear.   

I think (A) is more likely.  However I could see someone interpreting the image in a manner compatible with (B).  Also, maybe when you see it in 3-D interpretation (B) becomes more likely.

So, there may be another pointing.  However, I don't think it is obvious that there is.
  • HephaestusHephaestus  
    Colonist

Wrote this for the waterfall thread. Made since to post it here, too:

The race that left the star map could have been someone other than the Space Jockey. Let's say that it was the Saucer People. They leave the map on Earth, then exit the solar system, heading to a new world. Then, the Jockey kills them, or something does, and goes to sleep. When the humans arrive, they awaken the killer from his slumber and all hell breaks loose.

Edit: Again, very much like At the Mountains of Madness.

Meh, I think the saucer is one of Weyland's terrafroming devices.  As for the bald guy mutating at the same location - well, I don't have an answer for that.

Aliens takes place nay 100 years after Prometheus and the terraforming technology used is a massive nuclear powered plant.
    Things fall apart, the centre cannot hold; mere anarchy is loosed upon the world.
  • rabidrangerrabidranger  
    Colonist
    Yeah, I'll be interested to see how they reconcile the datestamp, especially since Scott and co are apparently being so careful with props, sets, etc. Unless there is some tomfoolery with time, things will have to make sense.
  • JasonDiazJasonDiaz  
    Colonist

The more I think about it the more I agree with the MacGuffin theory.  It's just a plot device to move the story forward and we're over analyzing...which is normal. Does it matter whether it's an invitation or a warning?  Human nature, curiosity and hubris dictates that we'll go look.

But that's kinda lazy writing IMO. It could move the story forward as a filler, but it has to make some sense other than what we supposedly know.

Amended: How would someone from the past, lets say 1000 years ago or even around 1500AD describe anything like what we have today. 

But how does those ancient civilization that had no connection with each other know where they're from, I have a bad enough time finding a location without GPS or taking driving directions from someone let alone a freaking star map direction. Unless they were told or unless each civilization stumbled upon a space room à la David style. I say the former. I also say something drastically changed were they stopped communication with humans or visiting Earth.
    "Not too close, I hope"
  • The Isle of Skye paintings date from 35000BCE, at which time the norm was to record events rather than explore abstract ideas on a cave wall. My own view has been that the pictograms all record knowledge rather than ideas, and I'm sticking with that until the film is out. Something interesting to come out of the press showing is that the Isle of Skye painting is said to depict something attacking people, and that it is depicted as a line drawing rather than being coloured in. This rings a distant bell, I'm sure that I have read somewhere that it is thought that depicting something as a line drawing where everything else is coloured may have had some significance. I will dig around and see if I can find that.
  • HephaestusHephaestus  
    Colonist
    With the humans getting attacked in the paintings by the line drawn figures, surely it's a warning?
    Things fall apart, the centre cannot hold; mere anarchy is loosed upon the world.
  • bunnypfbunnypf  
    Colonist

With the humans getting attacked in the paintings by the line drawn figures, surely it's a warning?

But Shaw's too stupid to notice that.
  • ThothThoth  (1 like this)
    Colonist

We are not sure anyone is being attacked though.
  • bunnypfbunnypf  (1 like this)
    Colonist
    Thoth said:

I'm sure that Hephaestus was referring to that blog report of the footage in the Q&A. The guy seemed pretty much on the ball compared to some of the other reports.
  • TallgeeseTallgeese  
    Colonist
    bunnypf said:

Thoth said:

I'm sure that Hephaestus was referring to that blog report of the footage in the Q&A. The guy seemed pretty much on the ball compared to some of the other reports.

Yeah, I tend to agree with this. That guy had specifically said that there was another cave painting besides the one showing the humanoid figure (which we all assume to be the Space Jockey) pointing to the stars.

On top of that, the new picture that has been released (showing the mural that everyone's been trying to decipher) shows some sort of strange creature.
  • ThothThoth  
    Colonist
    Tallgeese said:

bunnypf said:

Thoth said:

Yeah, I tend to agree with this. That guy had specifically said that there was another cave painting besides the one showing the humanoid figure (which we all assume to be the Space Jockey) pointing to the stars.

On top of that, the new picture that has been released (showing the mural that everyone's been trying to decipher) shows some sort of strange creature.

Ok.  I guess I missed the part where he said specifically there was another cave painting.  My bad.
  • TallgeeseTallgeese  
    Colonist
    Ah, it's no biggy. Don't worry about it.
  • HephaestusHephaestus  
    Colonist
    Based on what we are beginning to see, I am firmly of the view that this was a warning.

Whether or not Weyland knew this,on the other hand...

Welcome!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Login with Facebook Sign In with Google Sign In with OpenID

Forum Tips

• Bookmark All Discussions to catch all of the action.
• Introduce yourself here.
• Click your username for more options.
Dismiss to unsticky discussions.
Imgur for hosting images.
• Email: prometheusforum@gmail.com
• More forum tips.