Prometheus Forum
We are the Gods now
A Star Map, an Invitation, or a Warning?
  • HephaestusHephaestus  
    Colonist
    While I tend to speculate about certain aspects of Prometheus,hines thing I cannot for the life of me figure out is whether the archaeological artefacts are A Star Map, an Invitation, or a Warning?

Personally, I think that the SJs are benign and have humanity's best interests at heart, and they are trying to protect us from something.

If that is true, however, why would they give us a map to show us how to get there? In that case was it a warning? Based on the stuff that goes down I think it's safe to assume they weren't invitations....

So, how did the ancient people of Erth come to possess the information on the star map? And why? Why were we given this info????
    Things fall apart, the centre cannot hold; mere anarchy is loosed upon the world.
  • countrymancountryman  
    Colonist

I think this question really goes to the heart of the matter.  It could be either.  What are the typical qualities of each?

What sticks out to me is that Prometheus delivered the fire to humans.  Not the other way around.  So maybe it's a warning?

• HephaestusHephaestus  
    Colonist
    I think the saucer beings were higher powers who punished the first inhabitants of earth (the SJs) for giving humanity the fire of intelligence.

I think the SJs started dying and sacrificed themselves and left earth to save humanity.

I think when they left earth, they took with them the higher power saucer beings' bio weapons in order to save us.

But why warn about that? Why not just ensure we never find them by blowing it up or hiding? It doesn't make sense to warn.

Maybe the fire of intelligence shed light on the SJ origins, and early humans did it of their own volition?
    Things fall apart, the centre cannot hold; mere anarchy is loosed upon the world.
  • BonusituationBonusituation  
    Like_A_Boss
    I see 3 options:

1) Invitation from benign beings.
    2) Invitation from malevolent beings.
    3) A warning.

At first glance (and knowing that things go terribly bad) you'd think that the map would be #3.  But logically it doesn't make sense.  Why warn someone about something they know nothing about and have no idea where it is.  That's almost an invitation itself (see #2).  It would be like me telling my wife "Hey, don't travel to this obscure rock in the middle of the forest in Siberia....it's bad."  Her first thought would be "Well, why is it bad?...and now I know how to find it!"  If I never told her she (and all our decedents) would live their lives in peace never stumbling across the bad rock.

I still have not idea which it is, it could very well be a warning...but to me that logically doesn't make sense.
    We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space.
  • HephaestusHephaestus  
    Colonist
    Can we take it that the different archaeological artefacts were originally created by humans?

If so, why would our ancient ancestors warn us about something like this?
  • countrymancountryman  
    Colonist
    Well a warning makes sense IF it's clearly a warning.  You don't post a warning because you expect no one will get hurt.  It's the opposite.  So, somehow the SJ expected us to find the star maps regardless of what we see in the trailer.
  • SargeISdeadSargeISdead  
    Colonist
    Perhaps it was a warning of what lies in that star system. In some of the charts there is a large being pointing to the star cluster. Perhaps he was warning the people of what could come from that area and Shaw and co. just read it wrong and went looking and found the dangers being warned of.
    Do you know the difference between Justice and Punishment?
  • HephaestusHephaestus  
    Colonist
    This is an excellent article I once read about the problem of burying nuclear wste deep underground - it will be radioactive for millions of years. How do we communicate with a civilisation thousands of years, tens of thousands of years into the future that we are warning them of a dangerous hazard?

http://www.slate.com/articles/health_and_science/green_room/2009/11/atomic_priesthoods_thorn_landscapes_and_munchian_pictograms.html
  • countrymancountryman  
    Colonist
    Exactly, it's not good enough to just write "DANGER" because 10,000 years from now no one will be able to read our ancient language lol.  And if we just put like a symbol the meaning is ambiguous, and may be misread as an invitation...
  • HephaestusHephaestus  
    Colonist
    Eh... Yea. Hence the title of this discussion. Good work. Now we know what we are discussing.
  • countrymancountryman  
    Colonist

OK so how about an invitation?  Invitations usually have a specific purpose.  Like a wedding invitation is for that event.  A general invitation is sometimes used too.  Like "come over anytime" is something you say to your friend.

But here, the content of the star map message is pretty specific.  It's got a place.  But no time or reference to the underlying purpose of the invitation.

*edit* Also, Shaw is confident it's an invitation.  She seems smart.  So maybe she's right.

• bunnypfbunnypf  (1 like this)
    Colonist

So, how did the ancient people of Erth come to possess the information on the star map?

Apart from the six stars there are other clues on some of the markers. The 'one' who points the way is a giant and there is a flying disc or winged disc in the sky.You have two possibilties as far as I can see;1, A wandering giant who tells the ancient civilisations where he came from and how he got here.2, Regular visits to Earth by giants in flying discs.Given that we have seen someone at the waterfall and we have seen the saucer over the waterfall, we can probably presume that the pale, bald guy is a giant and thus probably a jockey. 
    "Once upon a time I was a hell of an Engineer."
  • Invitation.

TO DIE.
    'FATALE: A Darkly Comedic Sci-Fi Series' or 'White Bitches on A Space City'
  • homer1962homer1962  
    Colonist

Invitation.

TO DIE.

Nah, An invitation to come and pay respects to your elders/makers. Not come and trash their house/temple.
  • Invitation.

To be loving and tender.
    'FATALE: A Darkly Comedic Sci-Fi Series' or 'White Bitches on A Space City'
  • Why leave an invitation in the form of crude drawings scattered across the globe? They may be destroyed, lost, or have any number of things befall them that ensures they are never found. It seems to leave too much to chance for the idea of an invitation to make sense. Of course, in the film it is interpreted as an invitation (this is beyond debate as Shaw explicitly states this in the trailers) so I take it on trust that this is addressed in the storyline. Just because it is interpreted as an invitation doesn't make it so, again we can only speculate.

So for the purposes of argument we have an invitation. But an invitation to what? To invite an entire race to their own funeral smells of arrogance, fuzzy thinking and complacency on the part of those who left it. Why set a people on a course of development and leave them a roadmap to their doom? Who is to say that by the time the invitation is found that they haven't grown to be far more powerful than those who invited them and the carefully laid trap backfires in a very big way? Again, it's leaving too much to chance. If the intention is to wipe out a civilisation once it reaches a certain level of development, why not saddle up and go do it yourself? Why wait for them to turn up on your doorstep? Do we have lazy Gods?

The same holds true if the intention were to meet and greet. Presumably whoever left the invitation knows exactly where we are and can reveal themselves at any time of their choosing. They may also choose not to reveal themselves should the development of the race they intended to invite take a few wrong turns.

To my way of thinking, revealing your location to a race who could develop into a dangerous adversary is a major tactical error unworthy of a race of "Gods". I don't believe that they left any clues to their whereabouts or even their existence, and what is found by Shaw and Holloway are the remnants of stolen knowledge.

And on June 2nd I will be saying "I was so wrong..."

• terrapinbearterrapinbear  
    Colonist
    Shaw is the one who calls it an "Invitation", but that's her theory, along with Holloway and I think they use that to generate interest, funding and excitement about the mission of the Prometheus.  I think it's neither an invitation nor a warning.  It's just a record of an event where a very different looking man appeared before different civilizations and pointed to his origin among the stars.  What we choose to do with this information is up to us and can only be acted upon when our technology has advanced enough to make the journey.
    =\/\/= The Prometheus Has Landed! =\/\/=
  • BigbanditoBigbandito  
    Colonist
    Maybe the SJs are our benefactors and at the appropriate time (when we have evolved enough to travel the stars), we are invited to join them for our next evolutionary step.  They are Prometheus of the myth and are punished for their meddling and our arrogance, or we misunderstand and misuse the technology on the planet and open Pandora's box (maybe creating what will become the xeno).
  • StarBeastStarBeast  (2 like this)
    Colonist
    Or maybe it's a silly movie convention that will never be fully explained. (Sorry for bursting the bubble!!!!)
    It's basically a McGuffin! That which is searched for, that which is needed or required for no apparent reason.
    That which moves the plot forward.

It starts out as: "It's an invitation." (How nice!)
    It ends up being: "They actually want to hurt us" (How bad.)
    Why? : (Um.......because it's there!)
  • SargeISdeadSargeISdead  (1 like this)
    Colonist

The more I think about it the more I tend to lean towards it being a warning. The giant could be pointing at the winged object/ship on the ancient maps, warning the people of what is out there, what could come from that star map/cluster indicated on the ancient artifacts. Possibly saying "keep an eye on this area" or "stay away." Shaw and Holloway mistake this for being an invitation to come look for or find the aliens or whatever is being pointed to and find out it's not exactly what they thought it was. Hence the "we were so wrong." Just my thoughts on it.

Do you know the difference between Justice and Punishment?
  • StarBeastStarBeast  (1 like this)
    Colonist
    Oh for farks sake!
    Why warn someone not to go somewhere by pointing out where not to go!

"When you are advanced enough to go here, don't go here." - That makes sense!
  • kjohnson26kjohnson26  
    Colonist
    As a story device, it makes less sense the more it is analyzed. It could end up being the weakest part of the story. As StarBeast already said, its probably more of a McGuffin to enable a bit of the "Ancient Astronaut" stuff in the movie and put the crew on the way to their fates.
  • terrapinbearterrapinbear  (1 like this)
    Colonist
    Oh for farks sake!
    Why warn someone not to go somewhere by pointing out where not to go!

"When you are advanced enough to go here, don't go here." - That makes sense!

Uh, I thought that was the whole point of things like fluorescent traffic cones and "WRONG WAY" and "DANGER! HIGH VOLTAGE!" signs.
    =\/\/= The Prometheus Has Landed! =\/\/=
  • bunnypfbunnypf  
    Colonist

You know what?

• StarBeastStarBeast  
    Colonist
    bunnypf said:

You know what?

Now this makes for a good story.

Now answer me this.... Why set a trap!

Maybe it's to see what we have become.

Malevolent or Benevolent?

• bunnypfbunnypf  
    Colonist
    Depends who is setting the trap. At the back of my mind I think there might just be one rogue alien who is playing the humans to suit his own means.

Welcome!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Login with Facebook Sign In with Google Sign In with OpenID

Forum Tips

• Bookmark All Discussions to catch all of the action.
• Introduce yourself here.
• Click your username for more options.
Dismiss to unsticky discussions.
Imgur for hosting images.
• Email: prometheusforum@gmail.com
• More forum tips.