Prometheus Forum
We are the Gods now
The 'Temple'
  • rabidrangerrabidranger  
    Colonist
    Is it possible the room with the large head and ampules actually mirrors the planet's surface?
  • BonusituationBonusituation  
    Like_A_Boss
    Some of that was discussed a bit earlier. Do you want to elaborate on it?

I'm wondering why exactly those high ring walls are needed around the "temples"?

Perhaps they are ancient blast walls.  Perhaps the temples, at one time, were ships that took off (as theorized above) but over thousands of years the complex has fossilized.

I believe the scenes that show a giant dust storm coming is actually something catastrophic happening at the temple.
    We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space.
  • kjohnson26kjohnson26  
    Colonist

I'm wondering why exactly those high ring walls are needed around the "temples"?

Perhaps they are ancient blast walls.  Perhaps the temples, at one time, were ships that took off (as theorized above) but over thousands of years the complex has fossilized.

I believe the scenes that show a giant dust storm coming is actually something catastrophic happening at the temple.

That's an idea. I was thinking they were to keep something inside from getting out or something outside from getting in. The hole in the wall for the entry doesn't seem like it was blown in the wall, there should be more debris, and it doesn't seem that it had a gate at one time.
  • ThothThoth  
    Colonist
    I'm sure somebody has already mentioned this before, but maybe the ampules contain uniquely dangerous species that the SJ have either captured from other worlds, developed on their own, or possibly some combination of these.

Maybe the SJs consider themselves the most dangerous species in the galaxy and anything that challenges that status is up for elimination.  However, in the process, the keep samples of their defeated enemies.  These are kept in ampules and placed as an offering before the great head. 

Also, I think it's clear now that the head is a representation of the SJs.
  • JasonDiazJasonDiaz  
    Colonist

Thoth said:

I'm sure somebody has already mentioned this before, but maybe the ampules contain uniquely dangerous species that the SJ have either captured from other worlds, developed on their own, or possibly some combination of these.

Maybe the SJs consider themselves the most dangerous species in the galaxy and anything that challenges that status is up for elimination.  However, in the process, the keep samples of their defeated enemies.  These are kept in ampules and placed as an offering before the great head. 

Also, I think it's clear now that the head is a representation of the SJs.

Great head had me rolling but you might be correct, perhaps that's what RS means by uncivilized behavior. Also note that no matter how technological advance a society becomes or how religions they become also proves that douchebaggery exists outside our solar system.
    "Not too close, I hope"
  • bunnypfbunnypf  
    Colonist

The temple still appears to be in one piece when the sandstorm hits, it seems to be coming from further up the valley.
    "Once upon a time I was a hell of an Engineer."
  • ThothThoth  (1 like this)
    Colonist
    JasonDiaz said:

Great head had me rolling but you might be correct, perhaps that's what RS means by uncivilized behavior. Also note that no matter how technological advance a society becomes or how religions they become also proves that douchebaggery exists outside our solar system.

Yes, great head is the key to understanding everything.
  • TheJayTrainTheJayTrain  (1 like this)
    Colonist
    I guess I don't understand what would what would be so pud about the space jockies creating humans, I actually think that they aren't aliens at all. I think they're basically the same as us, just a race from oh millions of years ago. You're honestly going to be mad to find out the the jockies are basically man and that our stupid asses are repeating the same bad decision they made? Maybe as a previous speces they were lured to that planet to and they're so pissed at us because there are only a couple left and they're trying to get us to avoid the same situation. I don't know, I just don't understand how thats a cop out. What do you want the jockies to be xenomorphs in suits or something, I honestly think that would be 10 times worse.
    It doesn't mean we're engaged or anything.
  • BonusituationBonusituation  (2 like this)
    Like_A_Boss
    I took a shot from the 1080p trailer (all dark) of the outside of the temple and lightened it up (below).  If you compare the two screenshots below you can get a sense of the scale of the temple.  Some of theorized that it may be the flying saucer from the beginning, but it might be too small...because that saucer looked massive.

temple.jpg
    1000 x 425 - 112K
    We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space.
  • ThothThoth  
    Colonist
    It's very difficult to judge the relative sizes of these things.  The saucer at the falls does give the impress of being huge, but we really can't tell for sure without know (a) the sizes of the guy at the falls and (b) the distance to the saucer.

Also, in the second picture above, while we do a better idea the size range of the figures, we don't know how far they under the temple.  Also, the camera angle could make them look further out toward the end then they really are.  
  • bunnypfbunnypf  
    Colonist
    They are right under the edge there.
  • JrwausJrwaus  
    Colonist
    Please forgive if this has been said, but looking closely at the pic of the four temples, the two red circled areas look like a buried space croissant, with the temple being the domed area of the croissant that looks like the control room. I'm referring to the image boki posted march 29.
    It's a bughunt
  • rabidrangerrabidranger  (2 like this)
    Colonist
    Come on now. These structures are massive.
  • burnlabburnlab  (1 like this)
    Colonist
    Good write-up at Strange Shapes on the subject of Giger's designs from Dune that Scott imagined for the egg silo, and seem to have finally made their way into Prometheus:

Giger, Prometheus, and the Biomechanoids

• bunnypfbunnypf  
    Colonist

Has anyone speculated on what the holographic markers are picking up on the upper levels? There is one heading up the central shaft from what appears to be the top of the Head room but another appears to be  spiralling upwards a level at a time. Does it show several levels with concave floors or something else? There are dark horizontal lines on the surface of the dome which match up to the green scanned areas.image

• VodiVodi  
    Predator
    Are you referring to the red orb markers?

I always assumed they were the floating red orb mappers themselves.
    Dave, this conversation can serve no purpose anymore. Goodbye.
  • bunnypfbunnypf  
    Colonist

The red orbs represent the position of the laser mapping balls. There are three at ground level; one off to the left, one to the right in the foreground (which seems to have discovered an external door) and one at the right in the background (at the end of a tunnel), all travelling outwards from the centre. There is one at the top of the shaft and another between that and the ground floor.

The three on the ground floor have uncovered lots of rooms; some dome-on-dome shaped others are barrow shaped along with tunnels. The uppermost red orb seems to be travelling up a central shaft but the other one is either spiralling around the upper levels or possibly mapping the outside of the dome.

Colonist
    bunnypf said:

The red orbs represent the position of the laser mapping balls. There are three at ground level; one off to the left, one to the right in the foreground (which seems to have discovered an external door) and one at the right in the background (at the end of a tunnel), all travelling outwards from the centre. There is one at the top of the shaft and another between that and the ground floor.

The three on the ground floor have uncovered lots of rooms; some dome-on-dome shaped others are barrow shaped along with tunnels. The uppermost red orb seems to be travelling up a central shaft but the other one is either spiralling around the upper levels or possibly mapping the outside of the dome.

Yes, I've notice this and thought that the spiral must be some sort of walk-way.  Also, I do get the impression that the whole thing may be built of of layers (not natural strata). 

Also, I've tried looking for a room that might contain the head, but can't localize anything.  It would be interesting if the room with great head is at the top of the central shaft instead of lower.

• bunnypfbunnypf  
    Colonist

I really have no idea about the upper levels, if there were rooms or tunnels I would expect the hologram to look something like the ground floor. To me it looks like each level has a dished floor like a giant bowl stretching across the entire area.

It really does look like several layers, which would reinforce the notion that they are artificial (perhaps even prefabricated) structures.

I think the Head Room is right there in the middle - just follow the central shaft down to it. It has two sets of 'ribs'; the outer ones on the wall and about six to eight inner columns which are standalone.

Colonist
    bunnypf said:

I think the Head Room is right there in the middle - just follow the central shaft down to it. It has two sets of 'ribs'; the outer ones on the wall and about six to eight inner columns which are standalone.

I agree it is likely in the center somewhere.  I just can't make out anything that looks like a head.

Wait!  If the room is sealed before they enter then the probe-map wouldn't show it.
    Colonist
    Another point.  If this is an artificial structure, then the facade could have crumbled.  Given the severity of the wind storm we see, it could have been sand-blasted away.  Obvious, but I just thought I would mention it.
  • xinauxinau  
    Colonist
    I get the impression that the spiral shape is some sort of turbine-like device that rotates, possibly part of the propulsion system, since I'm convinced these "temples" are actually camouflaged/concealed ships.
    "If Lindelof's script sucks I will wage my own personal jihad on the man and not rest until the streets are flowing with the blood of him and his children." -- ViGiLaNzA on IMDB
  • VodiVodi  
    Predator
    Another point.  If this is an artificial structure, then the facade could have crumbled.  Given the severity of the wind storm we see, it could have been sand-blasted away.  Obvious, but I just thought I would mention it.

Who's to say the "storm" isn't started by one of the crew acivating something in the structure?

We're lead to believe that terraforming is part of SJ's deal, so the sandstorm could be a triggered event, therefore  accounting for the facade being untouched for, say, 1000s of years.
    Dave, this conversation can serve no purpose anymore. Goodbye.
  • terrapinbearterrapinbear  
    Colonist
    Thoth said:

Do each of the four domes have the same internal structure?  I hope the crew of the Prometheus visits all four and maps each of them.
    =\/\/= The Prometheus Has Landed! =\/\/=
  • bunnypfbunnypf  
    Colonist

There is a crude shape that could be the Head monolith in the central room on the hologram.

I think that this is a while into the mission after doors have been opened, it looks like most ot the orbs are at the end of their travels. Funny that we can only see the markers for Fifield/Ford and Milburn though.

As for the covering of the dome, could it have been covered with rock as a form of protection or a crude disguise? There is a thought niggling away the the whole set up is a ruse somehow, perhaps to decieve either a third species or the prometheus crew.

Welcome!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Login with Facebook Sign In with Google Sign In with OpenID

Forum Tips

• Bookmark All Discussions to catch all of the action.
• Introduce yourself here.
• Click your username for more options.
Dismiss to unsticky discussions.
Imgur for hosting images.
• Email: prometheusforum@gmail.com
• More forum tips.