Prometheus Forum
We are the Gods now
Possible location of "Invitation"
  • drxs0drxs0  (1 like this)
    Colonist
    imageI had been doing some reading and looking.  Then I started comparing constellation maps to the glyphs that are in the movie.  I have found ( I think) where they were headed.  I have colored them according to how they matched up.
    ~In Space No One Can Hear You Scream~
  • kjohnson26kjohnson26  
    Colonist
    The graphic isn't visible to me.

Appended:

OK, I see it now. Nice chart.
  • NickIsSmartNickIsSmart  
    Flaming_Telepath
    Nice. I was wondering if they based it off real stars or just made something up. Knowing Ridley, I should've known better.
    Vivez la yoga pants.
  • drxs0drxs0  
    Colonist
    I find it odd that it is Orion.  So maybe closer to decoding the password.  I hope.
  • tehjassmantehjassman  (2 like this)
    Colonist
    the prometheus project page login is sub headed- "245409" which is Orion's constellation call number on the cosmic call 
  • JonesycatpantsJonesycatpants  (2 like this)
    Catpower
    you guys are good. nice work.
    Jonesy you little shit..you're staying right here
  • drxs0drxs0  (1 like this)
    Colonist

you guys are good. nice work.

Can I have a cookie now?  Ha Ha.  first time I feel like I have actually contributed something useful to this.
  • SpazSpaz  
    Colonist
    Is it noteworthy that the /eridu/ Prometheus Project page uses Google analytics and the 245409 page doesn't?
    good fiction’s job is to comfort the disturbed, and disturb the comfortable
  • drxs0drxs0  
    Colonist
    I honestly do not know Spaz.  As much as I know about computers I know nothing.  Everything I do is based on actual grunt work and visual learning.  Computer coding however is on my bucket list of things to do.
  • SpazSpaz  
    Colonist
    "Google Analytics (GA) is a free service offered by Google that generates detailed statistics about the visitors to a website." 
    I just wonder why they would use it for the hidden site and not the linked one.
  • drxs0drxs0  
    Colonist
    Ah ok I didn't know that.  Honestly not sure.  Perhaps they want to see just how many people are trying to access it.  I am sure my number is there a million times already.
  • SpazSpaz  
    Colonist
    I also found it interesting that /eridu/ has only 3 Google +  shares (one of which is mine), while /245409/ has ~150.... I guess it hasn't gone mainstream quite yet.
  • kjohnson26kjohnson26  (2 like this)
    Colonist
    Could be the guy doing the coding forgot to add it to one page and not the other.
  • MustangJeffMustangJeff  
    Colonist

HD245409 is also known as Gliese 208. 

Approximately 500,000 years ago Gliese 208 passed within 4LY of our solar system.  It's currently about 37 LY away now.

• HD245409 is also known as Gliese 208. 

Approximately 500,000 years ago Gliese 208 passed within 4LY of our solar system.  It's currently about 37 LY away now.

does anyone know how close it will be in the year 2085? just out of interest.
  • Gliese 208 is also in the constellation Orion
    We got tactical smart missiles, phase-plasma pulse rifles, RPGs, we got sonic electronic ball breakers! We got nukes, we got knives, sharp sticks...
  • SpazSpaz  
    Colonist
    "The galaxy is on Orion's belt"
  • kjohnson26kjohnson26  
    Colonist
    Given that it moved about 32 light years in 500,000 years, in 50 years it would have moved 0.0032 light years, so by 2085 it would not have moved much with respect to today.
  • yeah i just realised the stupidity of my question :) haha
  • NragemachineNragemachine  
    space_jesus
    Idk kjohnson, it probably didn't move that much but remember the universe is expanding at an exponentially faster and faster rate. Not that its important to this discussion lol.
    Assholes and elbows.
  • yeah but his kinda right 60 years isnt much in the grand scale of things to do with the universe :)
  • MustangJeffMustangJeff  (2 like this)
    Colonist

It's tough to tell if it's gravitationally locked in a spiral arm, or a rogue system on it's own trajectory.  I'm assuming if it's 37LY away now that it will be a tiny bit further away in 70 years.  I'm trying to place it as a start on the chart from the movie, but it's difficult.  The chart in the movie is definately not to scale compared to actual star charts of Orion.  If I had to venture a guess (assuming Gliese 208 is definately shown), I would say it's the one circled in green above the one in red.

http://www.wikisky.org/?ra=5.54601148284005&de=10.680376954157074&zoom=5&show_grid=1&show_constellation_lines=1&show_constellation_boundaries=1&show_const_names=0&show_galaxies=1&show_box=1&box_ra=5.6086087000000004&box_de=11.327867000000001&box_width=50&box_height=50&img_source=DSS2

• MustangJeffMustangJeff  
    Colonist
    One thing though.  If Gliese 208 (HD245409) is important and a possible destination, then the stars shown in the trailer aren't any of the major ones that make up Orion.  But it's actually the third closest star to us in the whole constellation.
  • kjohnson26kjohnson26  
    Colonist
    The constellation Eridanus which is southeast of Orion may have relevance. According to Widipedia; Eridanus (Star of Eridu) is related to Eridu the Sumerian city. There is a star Epsilon Eridani that has a detected gas giant. Supposedly the constellation contains 8 stars with detected planets and 13 stars within 32 light years of earth.

Appended:

If you stop frame the UK trailer just as Holloway is shifting around the 6 stars from the glyphs against a star field, it looks like Orion could be just to the left of Holloway. Actually Orion is just above Holloway's head and to the right of his left outstretched arm.
  • KaenKaen  
    Colonist

Gliese 581: Observations suggest that the star has at least six planets: Gliese 581 e, b, c, d, f and g. g is thought to be a candidate for habitability.

there are your six planets

• bunnypfbunnypf  
    Colonist
    But they are stars on the pictograms not planets.
    "Once upon a time I was a hell of an Engineer."

Welcome!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Login with Facebook Sign In with Google Sign In with OpenID

Forum Tips

• Bookmark All Discussions to catch all of the action.
• Introduce yourself here.
• Click your username for more options.
Dismiss to unsticky discussions.
Imgur for hosting images.
• Email: prometheusforum@gmail.com
• More forum tips.