Prometheus Forum
We are the Gods now
Alien 3 and Resurrection Canon
  • NanosoldierNanosoldier  
    Colonist
    With the recent trailer, I managed to snag a question to be answered by the Ridley Scott!

I asked "Do you consider Alien 3 and the later movies to be canon" only to be answered with "I only consider James Cameron's sequel to be canon". Sure there was a lot of trolls who impersonated Ridley and other actors (considering we were in a very small chatbox) but you can easily distinguish the ones who were official by their language.

Since Ridley himself has declared that he only sees 3 films within the Alien franchise and since James Cameron despised Alien 3, true Alien fans do well to respect the opinion of the magnificent directors. With both directors hating on the later sequels, do you think there may be a slight chance that perhaps Ripley may have another appearance in a future movie (even though it's impossible due to her, reasonably remarkable age).

What do you guys think?
  • Sticky_FingazSticky_Fingaz  (1 like this)
    NukSuKow
    Nope, sorry. If Ridley didn't even want to put everyone's favourite penis-headed nightmare due to over exposure I think it's a really safe bet to say that Ripley's story is well and truly finished.
    You read it. I thought it was clear.
  • NickIsSmartNickIsSmart  (6 like this)
    Flaming_Telepath
    I'm simply not interested. She died in Alien 3. End of story. Just make a new character that we can care about and write a new story. Stop bringing an old one back from the dead.
    "It's all in the reflexes."
  • ripley4presidentripley4president  (2 like this)
    Colonist
    I hope Ripley won't return, and I'm pretty sure she won't either. If Ridley Scott does a Blade Runner sequel, I hope he won't bring back Harrison Ford or Rutger Hauer. They were great in those films, but that was 30+ years ago. It's like NickIsSmart said - it's better to introduce new characters instead. 
  • Where did you get this information?

I'll try and find the links but ridley scott has always praised aliens and he and cameron are best of friends.
    I was an AVP fan like you. . . Till I took an Arrow to the knee!!!!
  • Tec_BTec_B  
    Colonist
    I have seen an interview with Cameron saying ridley should get back to making sci-fi, they do appear to be on very good terms.
  • SargeISdeadSargeISdead  (1 like this)
    Colonist
    Cameron is probably saying the same thing about T3: Rise of the Machines, funny that two of  his best films had two of the most horrible sequels.
    Hudson: "Maybe we've got em' demoralized..."
  • I'm simply not interested. She died in Alien 3. End of story. Just make a new character that we can care about and write a new story. Stop bringing an old one back from the dead.

Couldn't put it better myself. I'm really hoping we get a new heroine to root for in the character of Shaw. I'd love for her to be the naive anthropoligist that makes a massive mistake and, as a result, dooms her crew with her naievity..and has to LIVE with that shame for future films. I mean it's not unlikely that everyone is set to die a horrible death in Prometheus (especially if it indeed ends up as a prequel to Alien. All signs in Alien showed total decimation during whatever happened), but I'd love for Shaw to survive and become the new protagonist in a Ridley Scott helmed saga.
  • ^ minus Xenos, though. Xenos were Ripley's obstacle and shaped the character wonderfully. I want something completely new to us to be Shaw's suffering (not even the Space Jockey's in the long ru, give us something completely new...which they have promised us so...).

Apologies for the double post. I'm getting a strange error when trying to edit my other post and then my whole browser goes crazy.

• ZeppoZeppo  
    Colonist
    I think the need to bring Ripley into to Alien Res was a huge mistake. personally id of liked Cal to take over the role of heroine. something about the idea that the AI is the only truly humane character and she is the the one fighting the Xenos to save the human specie is very appealing.  Ripley was amazing but she is now put to rest
  • ramp_closingramp_closing  (3 like this)
    Colonist
    "I think the need to bring Ripley into to Alien Res was a huge mistake. personally id of liked Cal to take over the role of heroine"  

Shhhh, don't wake up RobThom.  He's quietly resting beneath the bridge of misogyny.

My hot dog has a first name. It's es pee yew en kay.
  • ZeppoZeppo  (1 like this)
    Colonist
    Shhhhhh
  • journeymanjourneyman  
    Colonist
    I wonder if he said that because he is Camerons friend? I loved the third movie and I remember reading about Ridley visiting the set and talking with Fincher during the making of Alien3, he must have displayed some interest in it at some point. Mind you he didn't even know Cameron was making a sequel until it was well under way so he probably wasn't that interested in the franchise at all. It's true that the first 2 gel together very well and they could stand as a 2 piece but personally, I will always regard Alien 3 as cannon. It's not like it changes anything major in the Aliens history, it merely ends Ripleys story. A:R on the other hand brought in that stupid newborn creature and the idea that the Alien could be "tamed" with a few shocks of steam. Jeunet has a lot to answer for IMO.
  • ummesterummester  
    AssFlower

I thought Ridley had been pretty clear that only his film was considerred related to any events in Prometheus?

Meaning, that including the queen, any representation of the xeno, derelict or Sj not by himself would not be considerred.

Suck fuddlety!
  • seanmlseanml  (1 like this)
    Colonist
    Yes they are canon, its Ripley and Alien as a franchise. Don't like it, don't watch it, simple as that. I liked Alien 3, so what? sue me, Alien Resurrection I liked when I was a kid, not so much now but really, I hear people all the time talking about how much they suck, why bother complaining about them? it serves no purpose.
  • TerraformerTerraformer  (2 like this)
    Biggus_Diccus
    seanml said:

Yes they are canon, its Ripley and Alien as a franchise. Don't like it, don't watch it, simple as that. I liked Alien 3, so what? sue me, Alien Resurrection I liked when I was a kid, not so much now but really, I hear people all the time talking about how much they suck, why bother complaining about them? it serves no purpose.

They're all good in their own ways. I for one HATED alien 3 but came to love the Assembley cut. A4 is an enjoyable action flick but the script, acting, casting, directing and premise let it down. All they needed to do was use intelligence and a tough scary dark and disturbing premise when making A4 but they chose the cheesy campy '5th element' style approach. Hell they didnt need ripley. sure her absence would have caused an uproar and a ticket sale drop but a good film is worth a box office bomb
    Any views, opinions or comments by Terraformer are not those of Prometheusforum.net and purely for entertainment purposes only and not to be taken seriously and not to be read by anyone.
  • prometheus_downprometheus_down  (6 like this)
    Colonist
    This is how I rate and view the movies from the quadrilogy

Alien 9/10 - (A masterpiece of storytelling and atmosphere. One of the very few films that I can rewatch and still feel the same emotions that I felt the first time I saw it)

Aliens 8/10 - (An excellent (unofficial) adaptation of the Starship Troopers series of books that is full of action, is highly quotable and truly encapsulates the mood of the 80s cinematic experience)

Alien³ 8/10 - (There is just something about this movie that grabs me. The script had BIG balls to make sure that the good vibes from the Aliens ending were brought crashing down to earth. The music, the atmosphere, the use of the alien's POV during the hunt all added to make what should have been a truly outstanding piece of work. Unfortunately, the oft-reported studio interference marred a great product. But, if like me, you can see beyond that you might just be able to see the real story shining through the cracks)

Alien: Resurrection 6/10 - (Should have, in reality, been the start of a new individual story arc. The inclusion of Ripley as a clone was an unnecessary addition. The story would have worked better if the cloning process had been unsuccessful, giving a nod to Ripley and her legacy whilst setting the new film up to introduce a new protagonist. The humour, for me, worked because it showed how close the crew of the Betty were as a 'family' (plus I love the chemistry between Perlman and Pinion).

For me there are no terrible movies in the Quadrilogy, but there are missed opportunities. I love them as a whole and look forward to Prometheus adding yet more layers to the mythos.
    From the stars we came. From the stars we return. From now, till the end of time.
  • seanmlseanml  
    Colonist

seanml said:

They're all good in their own ways. I for one HATED alien 3 but came to love the Assembley cut. A4 is an enjoyable action flick but the script, acting, casting, directing and premise let it down. All they needed to do was use intelligence and a tough scary dark and disturbing premise when making A4 but they chose the cheesy campy '5th element' style approach. Hell they didnt need ripley. sure her absence would have caused an uproar and a ticket sale drop but a good film is worth a box office bomb

Yeah man, good shout, It was the Assembly cut of A3 that got me into it, the only thing that I don't like and that I'm sure is the case for most others is Newt and Hicks' deaths being so sudden. It was so sudden, and cruel that it gets to you but in a way, it fueled A3's depressing tone which gave the film a sadness to it that makes you, in a way, connect with Ripley and feel what she feels.
  • Brian_O_BlivionBrian_O_Blivion  (1 like this)
    Lazer_Brain
    "true Alien fans do well to respect the opinion of the magnificent directors"

You have to love stuff like this, people always claiming they're a more faithful
    fan than everyone else for some bizarre reason, why? What does it
    mean to you to you to be a true fan, does it allow you to look
    down on those who you consider aren't true fans, does it prop
    up your insecurities in some way? I was amused by the fact someone
    impersonating Ridley Scott posted an opinion you quite blatantly happened to already
    agree with meant he was genuine to you, what if he had said he
    considered all of the films canon? You'd have written them off as
    another troll I suspect.

• VodiVodi  
    Predator
    Feel free to join discussion in non-canon based threads, Brian_O_Blivion, so you can enjoy a more varied forum experience

Dave, this conversation can serve no purpose anymore. Goodbye.
  • Brian_O_BlivionBrian_O_Blivion  (1 like this)
    Lazer_Brain
    Will do, but when two of them are floating around at the same time...
  • RobThomRobThom  (1 like this)
    Colonist
    ""I only consider James Cameron's sequel to be canon""

Poor Ridley has lost his mind.
    I guess everyone gets old.

"...do you think there may be a slight chance that perhaps Ripley may have another appearance in a future movie..."

I hope not.

That been an annoying character ever since cameron transformed her into rambette.
  • ZeppoZeppo  (1 like this)
    Colonist
    RobThom said:

""I only consider James Cameron's sequel to be canon""

RobThom said:

i always found this strange as Cameron actually changed a pretty major park of the story buy introducing the Queen. I know that the transformation into eggs was deleted from th original but it is clear that it was part of Ridley's design for the Xeno.
  • RobThomRobThom  (2 like this)
    Colonist
    Yeah, I never really cared for the queen concept.
    The morphing into an egg concept was so much more exotic and funkier.

And the queen pushed the idea that the Alien was just a bug instead of a totally awesome 9 foot tall boogieman.

I didn't think the queen design was all that great either.
    It always looked more like a transformer to me.

But cameron makes movies for people to enjoy.

I even read an interview of cameron were he said that he knew he was altering the original concept, but that he was going to do it anyway so that he could have the two "mothers" battle it out at the end.

And people liked it.
    Just like he knew they would.

Ridley also WANTS his movies to be enjoyed by people, but he never let that compromise his artistic integrity or dumbed things down for easier consumption.

james cameron just doesn't have that concern.
    For better or worse.
  • Sticky_FingazSticky_Fingaz  (2 like this)
    NukSuKow
    To be fair, nobody knew he changed it until 2003 when RS put the footage back in...
    You read it. I thought it was clear.
  • kjohnson26kjohnson26  
    Colonist
    I heard about the cut footage of Ripley discovering the coccooned and transforming Dallas and Bret long before 2003, probably before Aliens came out. That scene was also in the novelization of Alien.

Welcome!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Login with Facebook Sign In with Google Sign In with OpenID

Forum Tips

• Bookmark All Discussions to catch all of the action.
• Introduce yourself here.
• Click your username for more options.
Dismiss to unsticky discussions.
Imgur for hosting images.
• Email: prometheusforum@gmail.com
• More forum tips.