Prometheus Forum
We are the Gods now
"There is nothing in the desert and no man needs nothing." Significance?
  • BeerBeer  
    Colonist
    This is the only memorable David line that hasn't been analyzed. 
    But to me it seems extremely important to help understand David's motives. 
    Theories please?  What does this indicate about David's motives and subsequent actions...
    I'm alive
  • justinlucas99justinlucas99  (1 like this)
    Colonist
    I'm assuming it basically means the trip was fruitless and pointless.
    Why would we as humans need to do it anyway when we have so much.
    I'm not sure though.
  • greyAreagreyArea  (3 like this)
    Colonist
    I'm not sure, but Weyland says 'there's nothing...' at the end so I'm wondering whether David's reply of ' I know, have a good journey sir' is a reference to something in Lawrence of Arabia.
  • KolKol  (5 like this)
    Gottteufel
    a quote from lawerence of arabia if i remember correctly.
  • ZeppoZeppo  (4 like this)
    Colonist
    I think it as meaning that everyone needs something, Human, Alien, Engineer, Robot. We are all the same because we all have needs.
  • burkeburke  (2 like this)
    Colonist
    its just something from a film he likes! 

one of my favourite moments
    You're going out there to destroy them, right?
    That's the plan. You have my word on it.
  • burkeburke  (2 like this)
    Colonist
    before it all went to pot!
    You're going out there to destroy them, right?
    That's the plan. You have my word on it.
  • VodiVodi  (5 like this)
    Predator
    To better put it into context, the whole conversation is spoken by an Arabian (Faisal in Lawrence of Arabia) and goes as follows:

"No Arab loves the desert. We love water and green trees. There is nothing in the desert and no man needs nothing"
    Dave, this conversation can serve no purpose anymore. Goodbye.
  • MorganScorpionMorganScorpion  (5 like this)
    Colonist
    And yet, it was in the desert that Lawrence found himself.
  • VodiVodi  (1 like this)
    Predator

And yet, it was in the desert that Lawrence found himself.

As did Shaw and David?
    Dave, this conversation can serve no purpose anymore. Goodbye.
  • iDavidiDavid  (4 like this)
    Colonist
    "The trick, William Potter, is not minding that it hurts." David loves him some Peter O'toole.
  • MorganScorpionMorganScorpion  (4 like this)
    Colonist
    I think we'll get that in the sequel. 

If Shaw makes it to the sequel.

Maybe for David the desert was those two years in which he was the only conscious entity on the Prometheus. But I suspect he hasn't actually gotten there yet. 
  • candy_fistcandy_fist  
    Colonist

You find your true self when you're left with nothing, except faith in Shaw's case, or no one to stop you from doing anything, like Morgan said..

• RaiderCrusaderRaiderCrusader  (7 like this)
    Colonist
    I think the significance of this line is simply that this moon is not the Engineer's home world.  Unless their civilisation is entirely underground, this planet is not where they really live.  At this point in the movie they still all think that they're going to find a huge civilisation, and when they initially scan LV223, they find nothing.  David is saying that this is not what they thought they were going to find, and if there's anything here then it's an outpost. 
    We got tactical smart missiles, phase-plasma pulse rifles, RPGs, we got sonic electronic ball breakers! We got nukes, we got knives, sharp sticks...
  • caroleriouscarolerious  
    Starbeast

I think the significance of this line is simply that this moon is not the Engineer's home world.  Unless their civilisation is entirely underground, this planet is not where they really live.  At this point in the movie they still all think that they're going to find a huge civilisation, and when they initially scan LV223, they find nothing.  David is saying that this is not what they thought they were going to find, and if there's anything here then it's an outpost. 

loving your insight!
    You always were an asshole, Gorman!
  • seanmlseanml  (1 like this)
    Colonist
    It probably has some symbolic meaning, for-shadowing the films events. Also the mission did not need to even happen, but they went ahead and did it anyway "because they could". The mission provided nothing, they need nothing. 
  • VarekaiVarekai  
    Colonist

I always thought it was a bit of a warning in a sense, much like, don't go searching for trouble where you ought not be anyway, kind of thing. If given a choice, they would not be there, but they are, so they make the most of it and do what they must. It's an unpleasant, unforgiving, and dangerous land that isn't too be taken lightly and offers nothing in return.

"No Arab loves the desert. We love water and green trees. There is nothing in the desert and no man needs nothing."

You're right about Lawrence finding himself in the desert and I do think that plays pretty directly into the movie as Shaw discovers much about about herself as well.   

• GahlaktusGahlaktus  (2 like this)
    Colonist
    @Vodi has it right.King Faisal (Alec Guinness aka Obi-Wan Kenobi portrays King Faisal in LOA) wants out of the deprivations of the desert. T.E. Lawrence, aka Lawrence of Arabia, seems to be the only figure in this very great movie who loves the desert. When asked why, he says: "Because it's clean!"

Now, what all of this has to do with Prometheus remains a riddle and mystery to me. I say, "riddle away!"
  • Bobster926Bobster926  (1 like this)
    Colonist
    Could he have been saying that in his opinion there was nothing of real value (good answers) on LV-223, or the Alien site?  That it was all just a waste with no payoff?

I say we take off and nuke the site from orbit. It's the only way to be sure.
  • definethegreatlinedefinethegreatline  (1 like this)
    Colonist
    I don't believe there is any real significance. 
    At least not one that I can think of yet.
     And trust me I've been doing A LOT of thinking about this movie. 

Anyway, If you remember David saying in the movie that he quotes the things he does from the movies he's watched, he say something along the lines of "because it's my favorite movie" or whatever. 

So my theory is, headless David and Weyland just shared a final moment between father and son. Weyland said David was the closest thing to a son he's ever had. So that must mean he loved him. So that means he knew what David liked right? Blah blah blah blah, my point is:

I belive was just simply having his last moments alive and decided to quote Davids favorite movie but was cut off by death in mid sentence and it was not some kind of revelation.

Just so you know he said "There is nothing...(gasp)" a second goes by and THEN  David says I know, have a good journey sir.
  • David84David84  (2 like this)
    Colonist
    i take it as Weyland wanted to live longer.
    "There is nothing in the desert and no man needs nothing"
    they went on a mission to find immortality and found nothing because it wasnt what Weyland needed.
  • banditbandit  (1 like this)
    Colonist

and, also, i think it ties in with the stills song "love the one you're with" by questioning the motives of all humans.  weyland made a robot 'son' when he already had a daughter?  ...and shaw's dream when her father said "it's what i choose to believe"  - phenomenal movie  

• Dagwood121Dagwood121  (3 like this)
    Colonist
    It means what the hell are we doing here
    "It is no wonder truth is stranger than fiction, fiction has to make sense"
  • BookEightBookEight  (1 like this)
    Colonist
    Nobody NEEDS what is in the (literal/figurative) desert, they only want it.

Although it's probable, we don't know that it's not the engineers' home world.
    And what was the "initial scan" that revealed nothing?  As far as the theater version of the film goes, they scanned nothing... they pinged with human-created radio signals, and nobody responded.  They didn't circle the moon.  There was something in the 1 pyramid (of 5 close by) that wasn't revealed by whatever initial scan they did do. What mountain valleys didn't they search?
    (I think this could have used a spare 90 seconds in the movie... it appears they just threw a dart and landed so Idris Elba's sound bite could play in our heads)
  • RaiderCrusaderRaiderCrusader  (1 like this)
    Colonist
    @BookEight

The initial scans that I was referring to was the pinging and scanning for radio signals.  This isn't Mars were talking about where they need to go down and take soil samples to see if there's bacteria in the ground.  They're expecting a highly advanced civilization capable of space travel and biotechnology and all kinds of things we can't even imagine.  A world like that would have noticeable signs that could be seen from space.

With all of the advanced technology that the Engineers possess, this planet has no satellites, no radio signals broadcasting of any kind, no lights that can be seen from space.  Compare this to Earth now.  Or earth in the future for that matter.  Now, as you pointed out (and so did I) we don't KNOW that this is not their homeworld.  But what David is saying is that all indicators point to the fact that this planet is not the home of a grand civilization, billions or maybe even tens of billions of beings.  That is what the Prometheus crew was expecting.  Not a bunch of urns and dead Engineers.  David is saying "this is not what you thought it was going to be, not where they're from, and if the Engineers are down there, this is their desert, not their oasis." 
    We got tactical smart missiles, phase-plasma pulse rifles, RPGs, we got sonic electronic ball breakers! We got nukes, we got knives, sharp sticks...
  • TearsInTheRainTearsInTheRain  (4 like this)
    Colonist
    @Beer,

Heh at Beer, that sounds familiar, I'm at a bar, drunk, talking to my beer... Anyway, Beer..

What are David's motivations and what's the significance of this line among all his other lines?

My interpretation - It's a double negative so it means Man needs something.  No man is David, and David desires and wants.  As I said in my previous post on the "what did David say?" thread, David wants to kill his human creator, just like the Engineers want to kill us.  At the same time David now becomes a slave, like the people on board the ship, to the vast desert(housing killer weapons within).  A duality of sorts.  From this subordinate constraint David uses his intellect to deceive and coerce the humans into ultimately killing them and freeing himself.

He's a douche.

I got a fever, and the only prescription is more cowbell!

Welcome!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Login with Facebook Sign In with Google Sign In with OpenID

Forum Tips

• Bookmark All Discussions to catch all of the action.
• Introduce yourself here.
• Click your username for more options.
Dismiss to unsticky discussions.
Imgur for hosting images.
• Email: prometheusforum@gmail.com
• More forum tips.