Prometheus Forum
We are the Gods now
About that exploding head ....
  • XenoWorfXenoWorf  (2 like this)
    Colonist
    So many questions ....

1. How come if you poke an electrified popsicle stick into a 2000 year old Alien head it can come back to life?

2. If you can do that to a 2000 year old Alien head then why can't you just keep Waylen's head alive in a jar and save a trillion dollar mission?

3. W.T. F ! came out of that engineer head and made it explode anyway?  Was it a xenomorph?  If so, since when did they start exploding out of heads anyway??  And why didn't it pop out of that head 2000 years ago instead of now?

4. Why does a trained archeologist like Shaw, who is used to using toothbrushes (literally) to excavate a site so she won;t mess it up just grab up a head, stuff it into her bowling bag and lug it bag to the ship?  What kind of archeologist does that ? (Indiana Jones would never have done it)

5. How come the super advanced Engineer civilization's containment protocol for infected heads seemed to be (as evidenced by the hologram) basically - "O.M.G. -- RUN!"
  • ChacejChacej  
    Colonist
    I think in the scene in the temple/tomb they put it in a plastic bad and vacuumed seal it. That is what went into the bowling bag. I thought it funny they can travel 23 light years but their bags don't even have shoulder straps.

I think the head exploding was from the black goo, similar to the guy at the start but different. I don't think any kind of creature came out though.
  • CureguyCureguy  
    Colonist
    They reanimated the SJ's head by reactivating the nervous system. At the same time they reactivated the black goo infection which caused his head to explode. If you will remember some of the SJ's piled up against the wall had "holes" exploded out of their skull.
  • GhostKingLordWolfGhostKingLordWolf  (2 like this)
    Colonist
    That Engineer was a mighty tad rude to poor David...  Taking his head off...  But... Could his understanding of Engineer language been all backwards, and David said something like "We have your Mother hostage on Earth, and she is being used to clean urine recepticals"..?

GHOST KING - Lord Wolf
    www.SkypeAssholes.com - Debate, argue, fight... Bring it.LIVE
  • BonusituationBonusituation  (4 like this)
    Like_A_Boss
    XenoWorf said:

So many questions ....

1. How come if you poke an electrified popsicle stick into a 2000 year old Alien head it can come back to life?  Synapse Re-establisher.  Only 9 exist, they have one on the ship naturally.  The explanation (whether you accept it or not) has been there for months.  http://www.weylandindustries.com/health 

2. If you can do that to a 2000 year old Alien head then why can't you just keep Waylen's head alive in a jar and save a trillion dollar mission?  Because it doesn't keep you alive, it just activates some neural activity.  Remember that the head was preserved in a chamber meant to do so.  After all there was 2000 year old organic alien goo in there too.

3. W.T. F ! came out of that engineer head and made it explode anyway?  Was it a xenomorph?  If so, since when did they start exploding out of heads anyway??  And why didn't it pop out of that head 2000 years ago instead of now?  Unthawed engineer brain goop and stuff.  The head was in the urn room which was a preservation environment.  They even talk about the preservation during that scene and it appears to have what looks like ice crystals on it.  It's also the reason David had to freeze the urn before stuffing it in his bag.

4. Why does a trained archeologist like Shaw, who is used to using toothbrushes (literally) to excavate a site so she won;t mess it up just grab up a head, stuff it into her bowling bag and lug it bag to the ship?  What kind of archeologist does that ? (Indiana Jones would never have done it)  Indiana Jones most certainly would.  He wouldn't even seal it in a large plastic bag then evacuate the air with a pump  BEFORE putting it in the duffle bag like they did in the movie (maybe you missed that part too)

5. How come the super advanced Engineer civilization's containment protocol for infected heads seemed to be (as evidenced by the hologram) basically - "O.M.G. -- RUN!"   Shit happens?  Even failsafe systems we have today get away from us.  Nothing is failsafe.

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space.
  • XenoWorfXenoWorf  
    Colonist

XenoWorf said:

So many questions ....

1. How come if you poke an electrified popsicle stick into a 2000 year old Alien head it can come back to life?  Synapse Re-establisher. 

Seriously?
    Because I thought all they had to do was realign the deflector coils and transfer power from the main array to do that.  Yah....

2000 year old head. In an oxygen atmosphere.  But stick a little prod in it and it makes a funny face and goes "Sqeee!' Sure I can believe that .  Especially with the helpful weblink that you provided.
  • BonusituationBonusituation  (8 like this)
    Like_A_Boss
    XenoWorf said:

XenoWorf said:

So many questions ....

1. How come if you poke an electrified popsicle stick into a 2000 year old Alien head it can come back to life?  Synapse Re-establisher. 

Seriously?
    Because I thought all they had to do was realign the deflector coils and transfer power from the main array to do that.

Yes, seriously.  You asked the question, I gave you the exact and correct answer.  They even created the idea of the tool and put the information on the internet months before the movie came out.  It's called science fiction.  :))  

I get skeptics like you.  No matter what alternate idea is place in front of you (even for a work of fiction) you will never accept it because that would be giving in. 
    We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space.
  • XenoWorfXenoWorf  (1 like this)
    Colonist

It's called science fiction.  :))

Actually it's not.
    It's called crappy writing. It's called shoddy writing.  It's called writing for the lowest possible denominator but it most certainly is not science fiction.  People shouldn't have to go to a website to "explain" some utter bollocks that some lazy writer decided to introduce into a film. 

It's like making a film where someone has the power to instantly make women's boobs three sizes bigger and explain it away by saying it's due to the new Wylan Industries Boobalyzer. 

It's called pandering.  And a lot of people have been taking note of it
  • DiscJockeyDiscJockey  (1 like this)
    Colonist

That Engineer was a mighty tad rude to poor David...  Taking his head off...  But... Could his understanding of Engineer language been all backwards, and David said something like "We have your Mother hostage on Earth, and she is being used to clean urine recepticals"..?

Judging from how much he hates Weyland, I thought David told him to "Kill the old one." The SJ obviously dislikes taking orders, and takes David's head off possibly for being so alien. It's confusing when your creations wake you up and something you never even made casually talks to you.
  • BonusituationBonusituation  (12 like this)
    Like_A_Boss
    It is science fiction.  We can activate neurons in brains today, even portions of the brain, not brains that long dead, etc.  But is it an unreasonable extrapolation of science in the context of fiction?  I don't think so (yes, I know you disagree, I get it).

81 years ago people would scoff at what we can do today if you traveled back and told them.  Brain implants that help you see?  BS!  Small devices you hold in your hand that give you the world's information at hand in a matter of seconds from almost anywhere on the planet?  BS!!  Sending spaceship to other planets, driving them around by stereoscopic remote control and send back high definition images?  NO WAY.  The ability to transplant most major organs and still live a long and normal life?  Bahahaha!  Artificial organs?  The ability to grow transplant tissue from your how stem cells?  Mapping of the entire human genome?  Isolating and identifying if you might get certain diseases based on your DNA?  All these would sound like ridiculous science fiction 81 years ago.  And the rate of change of science has not been linear, and will not be linear over the next 81 years.

Anyways, I don't know why I bother trying to have rational discussions about science and science fiction with closed minded people...but I try, until I understand it's folly.

I answered every one of your questions...with information (maybe other than details of the synapse thing) that was in...the...movie, and you're not going to draw me in to some utterly ridiculous argument full of circular logic and denial.  You made a lot of assumptions that just aren't true  (just tossing the head in a bag, xeno exploding out of the head, etc).    I suggest paying attention next time. 

Good day sir! 
    :)

• XenoWorfXenoWorf  (2 like this)
    Colonist
    We will just have to agree to disagree about the kind of quality we expect in a movie and the rationalizations behind it.

• xinauxinau  (4 like this)
    Colonist
    I have a simpler question about the exploding head: why was it even in the movie?

It seems that the only way it advanced the story was in yielding the DNA sample that establishes Engineers and humans are genetically identical.

Did we really have to have this scene with the neuro-stim thingie and the (very silly, to me) eye-rolling and strange expressions, and then -- BANG!!! goop everywhere... just to get a DNA sample?
    "If Lindelof's script sucks I will wage my own personal jihad on the man and not rest until the streets are flowing with the blood of him and his children." -- ViGiLaNzA on IMDB
  • homer1962homer1962  (1 like this)
    Colonist

It is science fiction.  We can activate neurons in brains today, even portions of the brain, not brains that long dead, etc.  But is it an unreasonable extrapolation of science in the context of fiction?  I don't think so (yes, I know you disagree, I get it).

81 years ago people would scoff at what we can do today if you traveled back and told them.  Brain implants that help you see?  BS!  Small devices you hold in your hand that give you the world's information at hand in a matter of seconds from almost anywhere on the planet?  BS!!  Sending spaceship to other planets, driving them around by stereoscopic remote control and send back high definition images?  NO WAY.  The ability to transplant most major organs and still live a long and normal life?  Bahahaha!  Artificial organs?  The ability to grow transplant tissue from your how stem cells?  Mapping of the entire human genome?  Isolating and identifying if you might get certain diseases based on your DNA?  All these would sound like ridiculous science fiction 81 years ago.  And the rate of change of science has not been linear, and will not be linear over the next 81 years.

Anyways, I don't know why I bother trying to have rational discussions about science and science fiction with closed minded people...but I try, until I understand it's folly.

I answered every one of your questions...with information (maybe other than details of the synapse thing) that was in...the...movie, and you're not going to draw me in to some utterly ridiculous argument full of circular logic and denial.  You made a lot of assumptions that just aren't true  (just tossing the head in a bag, xeno exploding out of the head, etc).    I suggest paying attention next time. 

Good day sir! 
    :)

Good stuff Bonus. Well done.
  • XenoWorf said:

It's called science fiction.  :))

Actually it's not.
    It's called crappy writing. It's called shoddy writing.  It's called writing for the lowest possible denominator but it most certainly is not science fiction.  People shouldn't have to go to a website to "explain" some utter bollocks that some lazy writer decided to introduce into a film. 

It's like making a film where someone has the power to instantly make women's boobs three sizes bigger and explain it away by saying it's due to the new Wylan Industries Boobalyzer. 

It's called pandering.  And a lot of people have been taking note of it

you dont have to go to any website to figure it out......shaw CLEARLY states in the movie that they are using the equipment to trick his cells into thinking they are alive.
  • XenoWorfXenoWorf  (1 like this)
    Colonist
    Well then why didn't Shaw clearly state at the beginning of the movie that they were all going to travel to the planet by hot-air balloon and save the Company a trillion dollars.  Oh wait .. that would be silly now ....
  • prometheusfire08prometheusfire08  (1 like this)
    Colonist
    xinau said:

I have a simpler question about the exploding head: why was it even in the movie?

It seems that the only way it advanced the story was in yielding the DNA sample that establishes Engineers and humans are genetically identical.

Did we really have to have this scene with the neuro-stim thingie and the (very silly, to me) eye-rolling and strange expressions, and then -- BANG!!! goop everywhere... just to get a DNA sample?

no but it explains that the holographic engineers were running from him because of his infection........which is pointed out by the two doctors examining him , they CLEARLY state that he has new cells on his head that were in a state of change when he died . he is the one the others are running from and they closed that door to stop him following them.
  • xinauxinau  (1 like this)
    Colonist

xinau said:

no but it explains that the holographic engineers were running from him because of his infection........which is pointed out by the two doctors examining him , they CLEARLY state that he has new cells on his head that were in a state of change when he died . he is the one the others are running from and they closed that door to stop him following them.

Ok, I revise my question.

Did we really have to have this scene with the neuro-stim thingie and the (very silly, to me) eye-rolling and strange expressions, and then -- BANG!!! goop everywhere... just to get a DNA sample? and notice some strange cells?
    "If Lindelof's script sucks I will wage my own personal jihad on the man and not rest until the streets are flowing with the blood of him and his children." -- ViGiLaNzA on IMDB
  • the black goo rapidly speeds up the evolution process , and i know that very fast reactions have a very high energy output....now if that reaction was again kickstarted and then frozen.......it would create an effect quite similar to the alien exploding at the end of alien 3 :)

• im sorry maybe im not understanding your question ?
  • Lethal_MutationLethal_Mutation  (1 like this)
    Colonist
    XenoWorf said:

So many questions ....

1. How come if you poke an electrified popsicle stick into a 2000 year old Alien head it can come back to life?  Synapse Re-establisher.  Only 9 exist, they have one on the ship naturally.  The explanation (whether you accept it or not) has been there for months.  http://www.weylandindustries.com/health 

2. If you can do that to a 2000 year old Alien head then why can't you just keep Waylen's head alive in a jar and save a trillion dollar mission?  Because it doesn't keep you alive, it just activates some neural activity.  Remember that the head was preserved in a chamber meant to do so.  After all there was 2000 year old organic alien goo in there too.

3. W.T. F ! came out of that engineer head and made it explode anyway?  Was it a xenomorph?  If so, since when did they start exploding out of heads anyway??  And why didn't it pop out of that head 2000 years ago instead of now?  Unthawed engineer brain goop and stuff.  The head was in the urn room which was a preservation environment.  They even talk about the preservation during that scene and it appears to have what looks like ice crystals on it.  It's also the reason David had to freeze the urn before stuffing it in his bag.

4. Why does a trained archeologist like Shaw, who is used to using toothbrushes (literally) to excavate a site so she won;t mess it up just grab up a head, stuff it into her bowling bag and lug it bag to the ship?  What kind of archeologist does that ? (Indiana Jones would never have done it)  Indiana Jones most certainly would.  He wouldn't even seal it in a large plastic bag then evacuate the air with a pump  BEFORE putting it in the duffle bag like they did in the movie (maybe you missed that part too)

5. How come the super advanced Engineer civilization's containment protocol for infected heads seemed to be (as evidenced by the hologram) basically - "O.M.G. -- RUN!"   Shit happens?  Even failsafe systems we have today get away from us.  Nothing is failsafe.

/\  This.  Excellent answers.  
  • xinauxinau  (3 like this)
    Colonist
    It just seemed to me that having the head explode didn't advance the story -- i.e., we didn't learn anything from having it explode that we couldn't have learned from not having it explode. It just seemed like a lot of setup and a lot of gore for ... what?  To establish that the decapitated SJ was infected?  That our DNA is identical?  Why do we need a not-so-successfully re-animated exploding head for that?

It's one of several sore spots w/me because it would've been nice to have had that time to establish why Chance & Ravel think Janek is a bad pilot, and decide without much thought or discussion to blindly follow him on a suicide mission, or how Janek seems to have come to the conclusion that they're at a military base, or something about Vickers' apparently tortured relationship with her father, or why the Engineer at the end didn't just get on another ship, or any of about a million other things it would've been nice to establish with that time.
  • Lethal_MutationLethal_Mutation  (6 like this)
    Colonist
    It just seemed to me that having the head explode didn't advance the story -- i.e., we didn't learn anything from having it explode that we couldn't have learned from not having it explode. It just seemed like a lot of setup and a lot of gore for ... what?  To establish that the decapitated SJ was infected?  That our DNA is identical?  Why do we need a not-so-successfully re-animated exploding head for that?

It's one of several sore spots w/me because it would've been nice to have that time to establish why Chance & Ravel think Janek is a bad pilot, and decide without much thought or discussion to blindly follow him on a suicide mission, or how Janek seems to have come to the conclusion that they're at a military base, or something about Vickers' apparently tortured relationship with her father, or why the Engineer at the end didn't just get on an other ship, or any of about a million other things it would've been nice to establish with that time.

The head established that the Space Jockey was a suit.  It also demonstrated to the crew and audience that the engineers looked like us and had the same DNA.  

Chance and Ravel didn't think Janek was a bad pilot.  They stayed with Janek because of loyalty, respect and to ensure that the juggernaut would be stopped.  It doesn't take too much calculating to realize that there was zero hope of rescue.  Without hesitation, I would have stayed with Janek and gone down with the ship.  Can you think of a better, more meaningful way to die?

Frankly, I enjoyed the lack of over-sentimentality  and unnecessary melodrama (see Torchwood).  Most movies would have played that scene out for 5 minutes.  
  • prometheusfire08prometheusfire08  (2 like this)
    Colonist
    xinau said:

It's one of several sore spots w/me because it would've been nice to have had that time to establish why Chance & Ravel think Janek is a bad pilot, and decide without much thought or discussion to blindly follow him on a suicide mission, or how Janek seems to have come to the conclusion that they're at a military base, or something about Vickers' apparently tortured relationship with her father, or why the Engineer at the end didn't just get on another ship, or any of about a million other things it would've been nice to establish with that time.

if your driving your car and some asshole Tbones you , do you just go and get in another car......or do you want to grab hold of the fucker?
  • xinauxinau  (2 like this)
    Colonist
    The head established that the Space Jockey was a suit.  It also demonstrated to the crew and audience that the engineers looked like us and had the same DNA.  

Ok, what did having it explode establish and demonstrate?

• xinauxinau  
    Colonist

xinau said:

xinau said:

if your driving your car and some asshole Tbones you , do you just go and get in another car......or do you want to grab hold of the fucker?

Well, if my entire civilization had created an entire race of beings and then suddenly decided to wipe them out, and this was deemed to be some kind of important mission that was interrupted by being t-boned, and I was the last one left alive to carry it out, I think I'd get in another car, actually.
  • xinau said:

Ok, what did having it explode establish and demonstrate?

That despite their advance technology, humans weren't in control of this situation.  

Welcome!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Login with Facebook Sign In with Google Sign In with OpenID

Forum Tips

• Bookmark All Discussions to catch all of the action.
• Introduce yourself here.
• Click your username for more options.
Dismiss to unsticky discussions.
Imgur for hosting images.
• Email: prometheusforum@gmail.com
• More forum tips.