Prometheus Forum
We are the Gods now
Ridley Scott confirms the first cut of Prometheus is 2 hours and 27 minutes long
  • ViscalViscal  (11 like this)
    Brometheus
    Ridley Scott talks more Prometheus, run times, deleted scenes, and the new BLADE RUNNER in an exclusive interview with Collider's Steven Weintraub.

In the chat, the director states the first cut of his new sci-fi film is "2... 27". The theatrical cut ended up being 1 hour and 59 minutes long excluding credits. Also Scott mentions, for better or worse, that the theatrical cut of Prometheus is "fundamentally a director's cut."

In addition to the talk regarding the run times, Ridley Scott provides more details about the fight scene between Shaw and The Engineer that didn't make it to the theatrical cut (the first time we heard of this unused footage was in an interview with Rapace and Fassbender here http://youtu.be/h-UR9_gh7a4?t=3m18s).

"What she gives is as good as it gets, with an ax... she's really, very physical. He's so big. For him to be clouted by a conventional weapon somehow dimished him," the director says. "It's drama. I didn't want to diminish him by having this person who's got this weapon to be able to kind of back him off. It minimized him."

Check out the video interview yourself where the Prometheus talk starts at 2:07. The director also reveals some very interesting details about the new BLADE RUNNER movie towards the end of the video.

Tell us your thoughts on Prometheus.
    Create an account using Facebook or the old fashioned way. Free to register!

I wanna go home and party.
  • theringisMINEtheringisMINE  (5 like this)
    Colonist
    Love the way Ridley essentially states Religion is one of the biggest problems in the world today. Maybe the Engineers agreed, and when Jesus came along trying to convert humans to Christianity... well maybe they weren't too happy.

• It would be awfully contradictive of them of they do indeed worship the Xeno god.
    Jonesy you little shit..you're staying right here
  • K_Price85K_Price85  (5 like this)
    Colonist
    Ridley, 

Please make three versions! Theatrical, Directors, and Ultimate Cut! 

Edit: Fuck it, just make the Directors and Ultimate Cut! 
  • CarrotCarrot  (5 like this)
    SpaceBiscuit
    I hate Ridley cutting Shaw's scene
    If there isn't an Extended cut on the Blu Ray
    and the scenes remain separate
    well then...
    yea
    I've always thought Ridley cut his films way too much
    He is insane!
    The ending climax was the main problem I had with the film too
  • K_Price85K_Price85  (1 like this)
    Colonist

It would be awfully contradictive of them of they do indeed worship the Xeno god.

I just can't see the Xenos being an intelligent race. The Engineers seem to be way to damn intelligent to worship an extreme killing machine. I think they would be more proud of it being their perfectly created weapon. 
  • kjohnson26kjohnson26  (2 like this)
    Colonist
    Didn't Guy Pearce say that there was more Weyland in the film but almost all of it was cut?
  • theringisMINEtheringisMINE  (2 like this)
    Colonist
    "The Engineers seem to be way to damn intelligent to worship an extreme killing machine."

Interesting. You see, many athiests would say humans are 'way too intelligent to worship false gods'. Humans are way too intelligent to take a work of fiction (the bible) and preach it to true - etc etc

Intelligence must be a matter of perception.
  • kjohnson26kjohnson26  
    Colonist
    According to Ridley Scott I guess.
  • ViscalViscal  (2 like this)
    Brometheus
    Hi KJ.

Guy Pearce said no scenes of his were cut. But he goes on to mention things might have been "trimmed".
    http://youtu.be/5OJQBLCRWJs?t=2m40s
  • FuzzPopeFuzzPope  (4 like this)
    Colonist
    re: 'Director's Cut'

Scott is going to toe the party line from here into the next couple years standing behind this edit come shit or shine, and he'd be a complete idiot to do otherwise, which we all know he is anything but.

We've all seen chunks of extra/alt footage; that stuff is gonna work its way out from under the skin and eventually surface; preferably sequenced into the film and not a grab bag of deleted scenes.

• CarrotCarrot  (2 like this)
    SpaceBiscuit
    trimming is cutting
  • FuzzPopeFuzzPope  
    Colonist
    Viscal said:

Hi KJ.

Guy Pearce said no scenes of his were cut. But he goes on to mention things might have been "trimmed".
    http://youtu.be/5OJQBLCRWJs?t=2m40s

heh, this is a direct contradiction of something I just read here on PF earlier this afternoon.

wtf.
  • ViscalViscal  
    Brometheus
    Carrot said:

trimming is cutting

Yeah I guess it is... but check out Pearce saying that himself http://youtu.be/5OJQBLCRWJs?t=2m40s
  • FuzzPopeFuzzPope  (5 like this)
    Colonist
    Guy as a young man does not appear in Prometheus' current edit. There is no rationale justifying his role as Weyland. If its just an old man, like someone said, they shoulda suited up Butter Man Giger in his Crocs and cast him instead, haha.
  • CarrotCarrot  (1 like this)
    SpaceBiscuit
    I thought it looked like he was preserved with futuristic technology.
    I like it
  • ramsesIIIramsesIII  
    Colonist
    En los trailer la pelicula promete veremos cuando sea estrenada si llena con las expectativas
  • ViscalViscal  
    Brometheus
    si, estoy de acuerdo. bienvenido a PrometheusForum :)

On a side note: The Blade Runner sequel details that Ridley shared towards the end of the video got me a bit pumped
  • DrLoveHateDrLoveHate  (2 like this)
    Colonist
    So he's not sure what the Bluray cut of the film is going to be yet huh? Still thinking about putting the deleted scenes in the extras menu?

I think he's saying this because he knows that if he says the bluray is going to be uncut, with 28 minutes of footage spliced back in, he's afraid he'll undermine what's playing in the theatres right now. He also mentions the struggle between art vs commerce.  Very interesting interview, thanks Viscal.

I got the impression that he was just shining the interviewer on with those Blade Runner 2 details though.
  • apalapalaapalapala  
    Colonist
    FuzzPope said:

Guy as a young man does not appear in Prometheus' current edit. There is no rationale justifying his role as Weyland. If its just an old man, like someone said, they shoulda suited up Butter Man Giger in his Crocs and cast him instead, haha.

There's one point: Guy as his current age played the young Weyland in the TED Talks online marketing. Also, maybe there's a plan to have him play a future-film android modeled after younger Weyland -- like Lance Henriksen's Bishop in Aliens.
  • XenoWorfXenoWorf  (8 like this)
    Colonist
    The bad news is that 26 of those 28 minutes were more scenes of David watching Lawrence of Aribia
  • SargeISdeadSargeISdead  (6 like this)
    Colonist
    It sucks that he cut the Shaw scene and the reason he gives is complete BS about diminishing the Engineer. The Engineer was diminished enough by his 2 minutes of total screen time, having Shaw fight him with an axe would not have done anything else to diminish him, actually that would have been pretty badass.
    Do you know the difference between Justice and Punishment?
  • theringisMINEtheringisMINE  (2 like this)
    Colonist
    Thank god you aren't a film maker. Because the opposite of what you said is true.
  • FuzzPopeFuzzPope  (5 like this)
    Colonist

having Shaw fight him with an axe would not have done anything else to diminish him, actually that would have been pretty badass.

Woulda been fun for Shaw to squat on his belly and tattoo 'BLACK GOO RAPIST PIG' on his chest and turn him loose.
  • stefanstefan  (5 like this)
    Colonist
    Ridley seems very edgy and nervy in his talk and body language in this interview. I really get the feeling that he knows this isn't the directors cut, but he just can't say that right now else he'd jeopardise the current theatrical run. Perhaps I'm reading into it too much but he just seems that way to me.
  • CarrotCarrot  (2 like this)
    SpaceBiscuit

Thank god you aren't a film maker. Because the opposite of what you said is true.

Incorrect.
    Scott seems to think less is better.. but and gets carried away with it.
    The climax fight was the weakest part of the film imo
    you could tell it was edited too.  He cuts from the door, BAM to Shaw on the wall opening the door screaming die

Welcome!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Login with Facebook Sign In with Google Sign In with OpenID

Forum Tips

• Bookmark All Discussions to catch all of the action.
• Introduce yourself here.
• Click your username for more options.
Dismiss to unsticky discussions.
Imgur for hosting images.
• Email: prometheusforum@gmail.com
• More forum tips.