Prometheus Forum
We are the Gods now
Prometheus scenario is happening AFTER Alien 1&2?
  • KirillKirill  
    Colonist

I don't know if Ridley and Damon mentioned that but....As many of you I've been thinking, that prometheus's scenario happen before Alien. Well, I watched Alien 1 and didn't found any mention of year. Then I watched Aliens - again no mention of the year....BUT. Ripley slept 57 years. And guess what.......she never heard about terraformation and she never heard about atmosphere processors, which are well described at the Weyland Website. If you take a look here  you'll find that first terraformation was made on our moon and it was finished in 2039. Which means Alien 1 was bfore 1939 and before Prometheus.

So....if this is a scenario mistake, then why did they paid so much attention to terraformation on the website, wich is absolutely not mentioned in the movie?

Looks like Weylend was inspired not only by Shaw's speaches :)

• PharmbaggPharmbagg  
    Colonist
    Terraforming was talked about in aliens (the second movie). One of the executives says something about colonies there terraforming
  • DancingDavidDancingDavid  
    LazerBeatz

In Alien and Aliens, it's Weyland-Yutani, not just Weyland...not that any timeline help is really needed.

Interesting idea though.

FACTS.
  • KirillKirill  
    Colonist

That's what I said :). Ripley wakes up in some year after 57 years of sleeping and she never heard about terraformation. Wchi means Terraformayion was invented in this 57 years span. And  2039  must be in this span too, according to wetland industries web site. :). Which means Prometheus events happen AFTER Aliens. 

• KirillKirill  
    Colonist

Weyland-Yutani could be some consortium, like Sony-Ericsson.

Anyway. Firstable I thought it's just a scenario hole, a mistake. But why to mention it on the website? No one even remember this thing, and they described the whole process and made a map of colonized planets....I think it's another one promt. Besides....who will invest trillions of dollars in an proposal,based on an ancient cave painting. Nooo....Weyland knew where they fly to, cause at the moment they already had the information, which was sent from Nostromos bord computer.

The recieved radio signal, forced Nostromo to get there, get the evidence of 2 lifeforms, one of them is minded (SJs), sent the Prometheus.

• DancingDavidDancingDavid  
    LazerBeatz
    Right, but there is no Weyland-Yutani in the timeline during Prometheus; that comes after, which is shown in Alien and Aliens.   That proves it...aside from the numerous timelines available from Fox and other sources.
    FACTS.
  • KirillKirill  
    Colonist
    There is no need to mention an affiliated company. Weyland Industries provides technologies. Another companie built cargo ships, third company lease them to transport minerals. I don't see here any problem with the company name. The fact that a pilot, an officer of a space craft has never heard about terraformation is a much more strange :)
  • I don't know if Ridley and Damon mentioned that but....As many of you I've been thinking, that prometheus's scenario happen before Alien. Well, I watched Alien 1 and didn't found any mention of year. Then I watched Aliens - again no mention of the year....BUT. Ripley slept 57 years. And guess what.......she never heard about terraformation and she never heard about atmosphere processors, which are well described at the Weyland Website. If you take a look here  you'll find that first terraformation was made on our moon and it was finished in 2039. Which means Alien 1 was bfore 1939 and before Prometheus.

1939 ??

Anyway.... Aliens is said to take place in 2179, and Alien in 2122 (57 years earlier). But I'm not exactly sure where the year 2179 comes from. I've written about it here on the forum several times, because I always believed it was revealed in the Special Edition of Aliens (when Ripley looks at the photo of her deceased daughter). But I went back and checked the scene just now, and there is no definitive year mentioned or to be seen (I've always thought it was). The photograph says "deceased: 12.23.20". Burke says she was 66 years old when she died two years ago.

Then, in another scene, when Ripley confronts Burke, she says "I just checked the colony log. Directive dated 6, 12, 79. Signed Burke, Carter, J.". Several websites say 6/12/79 was the release date of Alien, but both IMDb and Wikipedia say it was released in May. Anyway, we can assume that 79 is the "current" year in Aliens. But is it 2079? 2179?

Also, if it's '79 "now", how could it be '20 two years ago when Amanda Ripley died? Makes no sense.....

Ridley Scott had said in interviews that Prometheus takes place about 30 years before Alien, though.
  • K_Price85K_Price85  
    Colonist
    2179 is the date of Aliens. 2122 date of Alien and of course 2094 at the end of Prometheus. I could have swore she said it was 2094 during her end transmission. Which means they were on LV-223 from 25Dec93-1Jan94(at least). 
  • K_Price85 said:

2179 is the date of Aliens.

But where is it established? Everyone just seems to be quoting each other.
  • tifosi77tifosi77  (2 like this)
    Colonist
    Oh boy............. #-o
    Perfect organism.
  • FuzzPopeFuzzPope  (4 like this)
    Colonist
    :facepalm:
  • K_Price85K_Price85  
    Colonist
    I just read it off some timeline a guy compiled from multiple sources. The one thing we do know at least is when the events of Prometheus takes place. 
  • FuzzPopeFuzzPope  (1 like this)
    Colonist
    Weyland viral = 2023.
  • tifosi77tifosi77  (1 like this)
    Colonist
    FuzzPope said:

Weyland viral = 2023.

And in the movie itself it says it takes place in 2089 and 2093.  Factored in with the numerous (emphasis on the 'numerous') media interviews/Q&As/etc where SRS and/or Lindelof have said the film takes place about 30 years prior to the events of "Alien", which puts the events of "Alien" in........ wait for it............. the early 2120s.

Which is what everyone has been saying.
    Perfect organism.
  • KirillKirill  
    Colonist
    Sorry,, i meant 2039, not 1939 of course :)))

K_Price85 said:

2179 is the date of Aliens.

But where is it established? Everyone just seems to be quoting each other.

Exactly. The only source is the "Alien timeline", but it sucks comparing to Weyland's website and simple logic. Besides, it's hosted on Alien Vs Predator website only, a movie, which Scott litteraly hates. I wouldn't trust them.

The MTV.com "Interview" is here, but the "30 years" statements is referenced to Deadline.com, where I didn't found any mention of that. Which means the only source for now is that Interview, which is not an Interview at all...

Can any one imagine some reason to dedicate such a big section to Terraformation on Weyland's website (WIth colonization dates)? 

• J_DJ_D  (1 like this)
    Colonist
    I'm not sure how accurate the info is on this website, but it may answer some of your questions.

Alien timeline:

http://time.absoluteavp.com/time1.html

The author seems to have done quite a bit or research on it.
  • @J_D

Did you read what he just wrote? :)
  • PodPod  
    Colonist
    Hey i just saw the movie today and i noticed a few things

Is LV 223 close to lv 426? The Nostromo crew happened to catch they distress signal at the end of the movie?

The Xenomorph at the end of the movie can't be a prototype since we found regular xenomorphs since AvP

Weyland must have encountered Enginners before, David talked fluent 'Engenees' and was aware of theyr technology.

There are two factions of Enginners probably battling eachother, at the beggining of the film we see an UFO shapped starship, at the end we see the doughnut shapped. also why would the outcast Enginner just sacrificed itself to seed the planet with life if it wasn't for revenge?
  • NragemachineNragemachine  
    space_jesus
    Just because Ripley didn't seem familiar with terraforming doesn't mean it didn't exist before Aliens. Some people don't know that scientists have discovered a black hole at the center of our galaxy, does that mean that discovery doesn't exist? Not everyone is up on everything all the time. Perhaps such things just aren't in her interest so she doesn't know about it.
    Assholes and elbows.
  • BeerBeer  
    Colonist
    @Kirill:  Are you originally from a non-English speaking country?  I'm sorry but I get a headache trying to decipher your long posts riddled with grammatical mistakes.  If you are from an English speaking country (like the USA/England) please try harder.  If you are from Russia or the Czech Republic then there is no problem.  That is obviously an acceptable excuse. 
    I'm alive
  • humanx13humanx13  
    Colonist
    the aliens: colonial marines technical manual says:

" - the initial encounter took place over 57 years ago; reference 6/3/2122."

This is supposedly dialogue of two Weyland-Yutani execs as they discuss the events that took place on LV426 AFTER the Marines arrived.  They are analyzing the mission data of both encounters.  The date for their transmissions to each other start on 8/12/2179.

• sulaco2000sulaco2000  
    Colonist
    This is a stretch, but do you think that since they have FTL ( how else could they get anywhere in 2.5 years?) that time dilation and methods of date synchronization over stellar distances could be affecting the calculations you guys are making?  I'm probably over-thinking this and I am no physicist, but its just a thought.

Also, didn't Weyland die in AvP?  Why is he even in Prometheus? Or did I really miss something?

• BeerBeer  (1 like this)
    Colonist
    AvP is not cannon.  Ridley Scott supposedly hates AvP. 
    I'm alive
  • sulaco2000sulaco2000  
    Colonist
    and... I agree with Kirill, it is likely that Weyland-Yutani was used for related corporate ventures and individual corporate names could be used for other types of projects.  

I also agree that Ripley, a pilot, first officer and obviously smart woman,  knows nothing about terraforming is strong evidence of some kind of timeline dilemma in the movies.

I think Kirill has some pretty strong evidence for his theory.
  • KirillKirill  (2 like this)
    Colonist
    Beer said:

@Kirill:  Are you originally from a non-English speaking country?  I'm sorry but I get a headache trying to decipher your long posts riddled with grammatical mistakes.  If you are from an English speaking country (like the USA/England) please try harder.  If you are from Russia or the Czech Republic then there is no problem.  That is obviously an acceptable excuse.  

:D yes, I am from Russia..:)

Welcome!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Login with Facebook Sign In with Google Sign In with OpenID

Forum Tips

• Bookmark All Discussions to catch all of the action.
• Introduce yourself here.
• Click your username for more options.
Dismiss to unsticky discussions.
Imgur for hosting images.
• Email: prometheusforum@gmail.com
• More forum tips.