We are the Gods now
Questions Remaining after Prometheus (Spoilers)
1. Were the Engineers trying to destroy us?
2. If so, why?
3. Why do they do what they do?
4. Why were they on LV-223?
5. What interaction did they have with the ancient peoples of Earth?
6. Why did they have such interactions?
7. Why did they give star maps to ancient civilisations?
8. What was the story with the temple?
9. Why the giant head?
10. What are all the ampules for?
11. What's the deal with the black goo?
12. What were the Engineers running from?
13. What killed all the Engineers in the big pile of bodies?
14. How did they all get infected with chest busters?
15. What happened in the temple 2000 years ago?
16. How much did Weyland know?
17. What was Weyland trying to do?
18. How do the Engineer and the derelict end up on LV-426?
19. Why do they end up there?
20. What was going on in the opening scene?
Things fall apart, the centre cannot hold; mere anarchy is loosed upon the world.
This is my take, having seen the movie, but not being an expert of any kind:
1. Were the Engineers trying to destroy us? - Yes
2. If so, why? - Don't know, but that is what the character Shaw is off to try and discover. Next movie, hopefully.
3. Why do they do what they do? - No idea on this one
4. Why were they on LV-223? - Seemingly to manufacture weapons of mass destruction, i.e. the Aliens encountered in the previous/later movies, possibly to kill us. As was suggested by Janek - they were not stupid enough to do it where they actually live.
5. What interaction did they have with the ancient peoples of Earth? - Not sure, but it seems that after creating us, they may have taught us stuff. Hopefully more in the next movie.
6. Why did they have such interactions? - Again, no idea, but I think this is the kind of thing that Shaw has gone to try and find out about
7. Why did they give star maps to ancient civilisations? - Yes, I wondered about this one. The maps they gave seem to lead to a military instillation, rather than their home world. Not sure why they would do that.
8. What was the story with the temple? - Though the some of the literature around the movie has referred to the place as a temple, it seemed to me from the movie that it was not actually a temple, but a military instillation for manufacturing the aliens/weapons. Maybe it had a dual purpose, being a temple as well?
9. Why the giant head? - Don't know. I guess this may support the idea that the place is a temple of some sort, though could be anything really. Any other ideas welcomed. It just looks good?
10. What are all the ampules for? - I think they were part of the weapons manufacturing process.
11. What's the deal with the black goo? - Also to do with manufacturing the weapons. It seemed to somehow create the killer aliens when humanoids came in to contact with it, and when Dave put some in Holloway's drink, it started transforming him into some kind of alien-ized creature. Weaponized material, any way.
12. What were the Engineers running from? - I think the implication was that they lost control of the weapons they had created, i.e. the killer aliens.
13. What killed all the Engineers in the big pile of bodies? - The weapons/aliens they had created, possibly to kill us.
14. How did they all get infected with chest busters? - Because, as above, they lost control of the alien weapons they had created.
15. What happened in the temple 2000 years ago? - The engineers all got killed by the alien creatures they made.
16. How much did Weyland know? - I don't think that he actually knew that much.
17. What was Weyland trying to do? - He was hoping that if he could contact the beings that had given humanity life, they would be able to give him more life, and prevent him from dying. Unfortunately for him, it turned out that when he did meet them, all they wanted to do was kill us, and therefore, him.
18. How do the Engineer and the derelict end up on LV-426? - Don't know, but it seems like he was flying his ship somewhere, and one of the weaponized life forms they created as weapons got him. Sheer speculation, but it seems possible that he was trying to escape the military instillation/temple on LV-223, where all of the other Engineers got killed, but that he had already been infected with a chest buster.
19. Why do they end up there? - Perhaps he could make it no further from LV-223, and so that's where he got to before being killed by the chest buster? Just making that up though...
20. What was going on in the opening scene? - Yes, that puzzled me too, but I read on Wikipedia that that was the Engineers seeding the planet Earth with the material for life, DNA etc, hence leading to our creation. Seems reasonable to me, although I am not sure how that fits in with the other life forms on Earth, evolution, etc, but I guess that is kind of the point.
Those are my thoughts, any way, but any clarity from those more knowledgeable would be appreciated.
I have a couple more questions, Mossey, i like your answers!
1. There are like 5 of those temple/domes sitting there. Is there no mention of maybe seeing if there are more engineers or anything in the other ones?
2. In the holograms playback, and the decapitated engineer guy, they are not in the big chair, but they are wearing the pilot suits.. But it looks like that the suits attach to when you get in the big chair... What gives?
3. How awesome is the hologram star map in the orrery in imax 3d??
Hey tpbiv, interesting questions...
1. There are like 5 of those temple/domes sitting there. Is there no
mention of maybe seeing if there are more engineers or anything in the
other ones? - No, as far as I can gather, it gets so out of hand in the first dome, they never get the chance to even consider the others. I assume they contain more of the same sort of stuff, but we don't see it. Also, I get the impression that this location is done now. If we do get another movie, it will be set somewhere else, but you never know...
2. In the holograms playback, and the decapitated
engineer guy, they are not in the big chair, but they are wearing the
pilot suits.. But it looks like that the suits attach to when you get in
the big chair... What gives? - Good point. It seems like the suits are not so much pilot suits, as general space suits, so when the humans are out on the planet's surface, they are wearing suits. The space jockey suit is the Engineers equivalent. That does beg the question of why they are wearing it when piloting their craft though. I can't remember if when we see the hologram of the Engineer flying the ship he is wearing the suit or not, though when the sole surviving engineer takes off at the end of this movie, he is definitely not wearing one. Maybe the space jockey in the original Alien movie was wearing it because of the desperate and damaged condition he and his craft were in?
3. How awesome is the hologram star map in the orrery in imax 3d??
- Pretty awesome mate! I didn't see it in an imax, just regular 3D, but still heavy! I reckon in an imax you'd really get the vibe. And I thought my iPad was good...
Add a Comment
It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!
↳ Alien Series
↳ Blade Runner
↳ Pacific Rim
↳ Prometheus 2
Film & Television
The Artist's Lounge
to catch all of the action.
• Introduce yourself
• Click your username for more options.
to unsticky discussions.
for hosting images.
• Email: firstname.lastname@example.org