Prometheus Forum
We are the Gods now
What David says to the Last Engineer (**Confirmed**)
  • VodiVodi  (14 like this)
    Predator
    According to the man himself, Dr. Anil Biltoo, who worked as the linguist consultant for Prometheus and who also played the linguist teacher (image below), David says to the Engineer "This man is here because he does not want to die. He believes you can give him more life" in translated form.

Scene in question:

Dr. Anil Biltoo also reveals there will be more dialogue shown from that scene in the Director's Cut, and it is not just a one-way conversation between David and the Engineer. Maybe we will finally understand why the Engineer went on berzerker mode in said Director's Cut. Unfortunately, the professor didn't elaborate further on the the extended dialogue probably due to contractual reasons.

A lot more at the source http://thebioscopist.com/2012/06/20/the-linguistics-of-prometheus-what-david-says-to-the-engineer

Thanks to seeasea and PrometheusForum user The_Bioscopist and for the link!

Tell us your thoughts on Prometheus.
    Create an account using Facebook or the old fashioned way. Free to register!

Dave, this conversation can serve no purpose anymore. Goodbye.
  • AeusAeus  (2 like this)
    Batswag
    Probably the very last thing you said.

But it'd be neat if David had his own agenda, irrespective of Shaws or Weylands.
    The only sensible way to live in this world is without rules.
  • DutchyDutchy  (12 like this)
    Colonist
    'Is AVP canon?'

But honestly, I think David asked Weylands question, about immortality. Both Weyland and David represent everything the Engineers hate, the 'Prometheus' characters, trying to play God. This combined with the arrogant question must've made Dr. Manhattan, errr the Engineer, pretty mad.
  • VodiVodi  (2 like this)
    Predator
    Why would the Engineers hate them for that when they themselves did/do the same thing?

And as we know from the bodies and holograms, the Engi's aren't without fault or failure, so I aren't sure I see it that way
    Dutchy said:

'Is AVP canon?'

But honestly, I think David asked Weylands question, about immortality. Both Weyland and David represent everything the Engineers hate, the 'Prometheus' characters, trying to play God. This combined with the arrogant question must've made Dr. Manhattan, errr the Engineer, pretty mad.

• roguedesignerroguedesigner  (3 like this)
    Colonist
    Either David said exactly what Weyland told him to say, and he got furious at Weyland's arrogance, or David was following his own agenda. He is Weyland's tool for sure, but he is also capable of acting quite defiantly at times.
  • RoonieRoonie  (1 like this)
    Colonist
    There are moments, particularly in the closing scenes between Shaw and David('s head!) where she suggests that the Engineers did love us, and obviously created us in their image using their DNA - She's desperate to find out what changed their mind about us so decides to travel on to their home world - Definitely not totally illogical when you consider flying a Juggernaught back to Earth wouldn't be a wonderful idea when it contains a huge biological payload - So this was simply her next step - These for me, are the big questions from the film. Why don't our creators love us anymore (When we assume they once did) - What changed their mind.

What happened in the facility 2000 years ago to wipe out all the engineers? (By means of burst chests, I might add) - Something to do with Black Goo + Humans = Xenos? - Was the biological weapon simply too potent for the Engineers and made them fear us? 

Weyland's dying words are "There's Nothing" (referring to not seeing a 'white light' / evidence of God i imagine) to which David replies "I know, good travels sir".

Apologies, Vodi - I, like Prometheus, have added a bunch of new questions, but that's part of the fun! and you're more or less on the topic I found most interesting about the movie :) 
  • ripley4presidentripley4president  (10 like this)
    Colonist
    No matter what he said, I think the engineer's reaction was completely uncalled for. 
  • RoonieRoonie  (2 like this)
    Colonist

No matter what he said, I think the engineer's reaction was completely uncalled for. 

I *liked* this :P
  • DutchyDutchy  (6 like this)
    Colonist
    @Vodi: It's not weird to hate someone for something where you're guilty of too. The Engineers were just as arrogant as humans, and David is just as arrogant as his creators. It's about control, I think. Humans mean as much to the Engineers as David does for humans - if David were to explain his own agenda to other humans they would exterminate him as well, immediately. 
    Hmm It's difficult to explain myself asEnglish isn't my first language. 

But yes, the question: why did the Gods abandon us, is a big one.
  • VodiVodi  (2 like this)
    Predator
    Roonie said:

What happened in the facility 2000 years ago to wipe out all the engineers?

Maybe they had realised we'd taken up mass religion and so decided to head over and wipe us out? :P

2000 years prior being the start of Christianity more or less

Either David said exactly what Weyland told him to say, and he got furious at Weyland's arrogance, or David was following his own agenda. He is Weyland's tool for sure, but he is also capable of acting quite defiantly at times.

Or maybe David asked what Shaw requested, and the Engi decided to despatch the "evil" Weyland and David
  • ripley4presidentripley4president  (3 like this)
    Colonist
    Vodi said:

Roonie said:

Or maybe David asked what Shaw requested, and the Engi decided to despatch the "evil" Weyland and David

But then he went straight after Shaw, so that doesn't make much sense either....
  • VodiVodi  
    Predator
    Dutchy said:

@Vodi: It's not weird to hate someone for something where you're guilty of too. The Engineers were just as arrogant as humans, and David is just as arrogant as his creators. It's about control, I think. Humans mean as much to the Engineers as David does for humans - if David were to explain his own agenda to other humans they would exterminate him as well, immediately. 

Hmm It's difficult to explain myself asEnglish isn't my first language. 

But yes, the question: why did the Gods abandon us, is a big one.

How do you know?

That's merely a human projecting human emotions onto another being

Why did the Engi attack Shaw? Because she crashed the ship or because she couldn't risk the ship leaving?
    Maybe he was simply following orders
  • roguedesignerroguedesigner  (7 like this)
    Colonist

Vodi said:

Roonie said:

But then he went straight after Shaw, so that doesn't make much sense either....

If you have rats in your fridge, you don't just kill the one that's eating the cheese.
  • MariaMaria  (1 like this)
    Colonist
    So was Weyland only in the film for "about a minute" as Guy Pearce said a while ago when interviewed about his part. 
    ~In space, no one can hear you scream, unless space is CGI~
  • RoonieRoonie  (2 like this)
    Colonist
    Maria said:

So was Weyland only in the film for "about a minute" as Guy Pearce said a while ago when interviewed about his part. 

probably about 6-8 mins overall.
  • kamikazekurtkamikazekurt  
    Colonist
    IMHO - having not seen the film - it seems like to me, the Engineers being the 'superior' species (and what have you); that he saw David either as a potential threat or a "blasphema" (aberration created by humanity).  

And pretty much the killing rampage was something akin to a parent trying to destroy its' offspring.
    my God, it's full of stars!
  • BezerkerEngineerBezerkerEngineer  (2 like this)
    Colonist
    My view on this scene is..

The engineer is amazed by David, he has a sort of grandfather thing with David as he loves him but. also doesn't want to give up his crown to his own creations for creating something to.. thats why he suddendly starts to go berserk on the crew  .. english isn't my first language so i don't know if you can follow it.. so in short

The engineer is pretty pissed we came this far with creating something by our selfs making him less superior then he is.. ..

anyway this was my favorite scene from the entire movie.. only it was so short :(
  • macdad123macdad123  (1 like this)
    Colonist

Wasn't it said they where going to earth before the outbreak that killed them all (except one).They were already going to wipe us out so what was said had no bearing on why he tried to kill them (although David could have pissed him off)

If they were all set to destroy earth why did the engineer stay in stasis for 2000 years and not just fly off sooner to complete the mission.

• xXJUGGERN4UT5XxxXJUGGERN4UT5Xx  (3 like this)
    Colonist
    Maybe the Engineer was pissed that it was awoken from it's stasis, making it vulnerable to the Goo that mutates things, and it wanted to get the hell out of there lol.

I haven't seen the movie but I'm just guessing.
    "I can get you off, maybe not the boat but..."
  • Dancing_FrogDancing_Frog  (13 like this)
    Colonist
    David asked if he'd seen the Prometheus Coors' Lite Commercial and asked him, "Where's the party yaar?." The engineer realized at that point that these were not people looking for a higher truth, but a group of post-graduate poseurs looking for a kegger. If let them stay, he'd be knee deep in empties, all the toilet paper would be in the trees, the bedsheets would be missing, and the xenocobra would be pregnant. So he did the only thing he could do, he killed them all.
    Rocket Scientist
  • tgbyhntgbyhn  
    Colonist
    Vodi said:

Roonie said:

What happened in the facility 2000 years ago to wipe out all the engineers?

Maybe they had realised we'd taken up mass religion and so decided to head over and wipe us out? :P

2000 years prior being the start of Christianity more or less

There were maybe 50,000 Christians in 90AD.  Not very numerous, or even recognized as a distinct religion by anybody else in the world, rather, being perceived as a heretical/unusual Jewish cult.  

There were small numbers in most urban areas in the Roman Empire within 150 years (Roman roads and sea travel in the era of Pax Romana being an excellent means of transmitting ideas, and religion), but very small until probably the 3rd century.  Christianity had an agonizingly slow upward climb in numbers.

I doubt there were even much more than 100,000 Jews in 90AD.

• JasonDiazJasonDiaz  
    Colonist
    The Engineer relationship with humans.
    "Not too close, I hope"
  • AphexAphex  (7 like this)
    Colonist
    The truth is that David got the translation wrong and accidentally called the Engineers mom a fat bitch.
  • JasonDiazJasonDiaz  (2 like this)
    Colonist
    The best person IMO that could actually see things for what they truly are is David. Shaw is getting closer.

The thing people ignore so obvious it's slapping people in the face.

*edited by Vodi* - removed the 3 animated gifs
    "Not too close, I hope"
  • AphexAphex  (1 like this)
    Colonist
    Care to elaborate Mr Diaz?
  • SStouvreSStouvre  (3 like this)
    Colonist
    How many threads is he going to post this BS in?

Welcome!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Login with Facebook Sign In with Google Sign In with OpenID

Forum Tips

• Bookmark All Discussions to catch all of the action.
• Introduce yourself here.
• Click your username for more options.
Dismiss to unsticky discussions.
Imgur for hosting images.
• Email: prometheusforum@gmail.com
• More forum tips.