Prometheus Forum
We are the Gods now
Prometheus English-language Reviews
  • antovolkantovolk  (3 like this)
    Colonist
    The Hollywood Reporter. http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/review/prometheus-review-ridley-scott-charlize-theron-michael-fassbender-330414?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter
    "A visually stunning return to science-fiction by Ridley Scott caters too much to audience expectations when more imaginative boldness would have taken it further."

Variety. http://www.variety.com/review/VE1117947665
    "Ridley Scott's first sci-fier in three decades since Blade Runner remains earthbound in narrative terms, forever hinting at the existence of a higher intelligence without evincing much of its own" ...
    "Yet a key difference between this film and its predecessor is one of volume. Incongruously backed by an orchestral surge of a score, the film conspicuously lacks the long, drawn-out silences and sense of menace in close quarters that made Alien so elegantly unnerving. Prometheus is one chatty vessel, populated by stock wise-guy types who spout tired one-liners when they're not either cynically debunking or earnestly defending belief in a superior power."
  • antovolkantovolk  
    Colonist
    FYI Empire Magazine's review should be hitting later today
  • redbeardredbeard  (2 like this)
    Colonist

Thanks @antovolk

The THR review has me scratching my head

The striking opening sequence (shot in Iceland) reveals scientist Elizabeth Shaw (Noomi Rapace, the original Girl With the Dragon Tattoo) discovering ancient cave paintings indicating the likely arrival on Earth of extraterrestrials many thousands of years ago. 

No mention of the saucer/SJ/beginning of time and they don't know the diff between Iceland and Isle of Skye ??????

a self-inflicted Cesarian section may be a screen first (certainly the result of it is), while Fassbender's fate is similarly imaginative and far funnier.  

Knocking the head off a Weyland android is imaginative and funny ????

WTF

• TheBlackHoleTheBlackHole  (5 like this)
    Colonist
    I can't wait to read a review that DOESN'T compare this to Alien.

It's not a prequel or a remake, so GET THE FUCK OVER IT ALREADY!
    "I don't know which species is worse, Burke. You don't see them fucking each other over a goddamn percentage."
    ?Ripley
  • hellsfoxeshellsfoxes  (3 like this)
    Colonist
  • clemensclemens  (1 like this)
    Colonist
    I think they are all quite positive - particularly Screen Daily.
  • hellsfoxeshellsfoxes  
    Colonist
    Variety will be rotten when added to Rotten Tomatoes

I think the other two are fresh
  • ChevalierChevalier  (1 like this)
    Colonist

I'm kind of getting sick of this as well.

Indeed, the continuous comparisons may also hurt Prometheus given it is invariably living in the shadow of Alien.
    "Oh no! Not the Hall of Death again! The only way out of here is death!" - Mike Dawson, Dark Seed II.
  • Holden_onHolden_on  (2 like this)
    Colonist
    Chevalier said:

Indeed, the continuous comparisons may also hurt Prometheus given it is invariably living in the shadow of Alien.

i don't remember anyone saying "41 years after Ben Hur, comes Gladiator"?

maybe it shows that there's a lack of quality sci-fi getting made recently.
    if it hadn't been for those pesky kids...
  • WintergreeneWintergreene  
    Colonist
    I trust Hollywood Reporter movie reviews. I read them all the time.  They seemed to like it. Some problems, but for the most part positive. Sigh of relief.....
  • BoudiccaBoudicca  (1 like this)
    Colonist
    Can't wait for these write-ups:

RT @slashfilm: I've been given the go ahead. I can tell you I've seen Prometheus and I can confirm that it is awesome.

RT @slashfilm: Prometheus: Not only is it thrilling, but it leaves you asking questions. (remember, @DamonLindelof is involved after all)

RT @colliderfrosty: #PROMETHEUS is the type of big budget sci-fi that studios rarely make. Extremely well done. Don't read reviews. Just go see it.
  • metrojoe82metrojoe82  
    Colonist
    That Variety review was very snarky, poorly written.
  • JonesycatpantsJonesycatpants  (1 like this)
    Catpower
    slashfilm and colider tend to resonate the average film goers sentiments, if they give it a glowing review we can expect it to do rather decently at the BO.
    Jonesy you little shit..you're staying right here
  • BoudiccaBoudicca  
    Colonist
    That Variety write-up wasn't by Todd McCarthy, my favorite of their reviewers. I did, however, like what was said about Fassbender's portrayal of David. Very interesting...

Jonseycatpants: I'll be watching the film's Cinemascore (the gauging of audience reaction right after they leave the theatre) very carefully.
  • VisionistVisionist  (3 like this)
    Panton_Vel_Nusquam

These reviews are depressing me! They are all "meh" reactions!

And why do they ALL insist on giving us a running narrative of the entire Fucking plot?! We don't want to READ the plot, Fuckheads, we want to WATCH it! These reviews should focus on tone, acting, effects...

Fuck sake.

I'm the man who gets to fly around in a helicopter with a gun.
    You call me MUFWIG.
    Mother Fucker What's In Charge.
  • SargeISdeadSargeISdead  
    Colonist

While it may not be Alien, the themes are incredibly similar despite what RS and company keep saying. It's actually a little off putting to read these reviews and see what David becomes when all along we were pretty much led on that he was not going to be another android like Ash(since that has been done so many times before) and it turns out he might as well be.
    Do you know the difference between Justice and Punishment?
  • ViscalViscal  
    Brometheus
    I wanna go home and party.
  • ChevalierChevalier  
    Colonist
    Holden_on said:

Chevalier said:

i don't remember anyone saying "41 years after Ben Hur, comes Gladiator"?

maybe it shows that there's a lack of quality sci-fi getting made recently.

There's definitely a lack of quality sci-fi, and Alien is (rightly so) the benchmark to which a movie like this should be judged.

However, Alien is something truly special -- right place, right time! I doubt you'll ever be able to match that film.
    "Oh no! Not the Hall of Death again! The only way out of here is death!" - Mike Dawson, Dark Seed II.
  • NickIsSmartNickIsSmart  (4 like this)
    Flaming_Telepath
    "Oh, hi, Mark."
  • WintergreeneWintergreene  (1 like this)
    Colonist

I think this film is going to be great.  I was not yet born when it arrived in theaters, but does anyone know what the initial critical reaction to Alien was? Was it the sort of film in which fondness grew with age?
  • TakatoTakato  (1 like this)
    Colonist

agreed
  • WintergreeneWintergreene  
    Colonist
    redbeard said:

Thanks @antovolk

The THR review has me scratching my head

The striking opening sequence (shot in Iceland) reveals scientist Elizabeth Shaw (Noomi Rapace, the original Girl With the Dragon Tattoo) discovering ancient cave paintings indicating the likely arrival on Earth of extraterrestrials many thousands of years ago. 

No mention of the saucer/SJ/beginning of time and they don't know the diff between Iceland and Isle of Skye ??????

a self-inflicted Cesarian section may be a screen first (certainly the result of it is), while Fassbender's fate is similarly imaginative and far funnier.  

Knocking the head off a Weyland android is imaginative and funny ????

WTF

The Screen Daily review mentions the beginning of time opening sequence with the Engineer.  Not sure where the disconnect is. I'm thinking the scene with Shaw is just after perhaps in the same location.
  • TankJrTankJr  (1 like this)
    Colonist

Welcome!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Login with Facebook Sign In with Google Sign In with OpenID

Forum Tips

• Bookmark All Discussions to catch all of the action.
• Introduce yourself here.
• Click your username for more options.
Dismiss to unsticky discussions.
Imgur for hosting images.
• Email: prometheusforum@gmail.com
• More forum tips.