Prometheus Forum
We are the Gods now
Why does Shaw allow herself to get impregnanted???
  • riften76riften76  (1 like this)
    Colonist
    Why does Shaw allow that to happen??
    Was it her choice, or was she tricked by Halloway??
    I think at first she assumes that it is the child she is carrying from Halloway...
    What do you think about Shaw's apparent pregnancy??
  • WintergreeneWintergreene  (10 like this)
    Colonist
    riften76 said:

Why does Shaw allow that to happen?? Was it her choice, or was she tricked by Halloway?? I think at first she assumes that it is the child she is carrying from Halloway... What do you think about Shaw's apparent pregnancy??

Well, I'm guessing the pill doesn't work when being used as a host for an alien species. 
  • TylerDurdenTylerDurden  (3 like this)
    Colonist

The Trojan Man 2085 didn't work :(

• ummesterummester  (1 like this)
    AssFlower

My original thought was something to do with her faith - her and Holloway believe only good things can come from contact with their god.

It is possible that she is unable to get pregnant and considers it an immaculate event from being on the planet at first.

Will have to see the film to find out.

Suck fuddlety!
  • CarrotCarrot  (1 like this)
    SpaceBiscuit
    ummester said:

It is possible that she is unable to get pregnant and considers it an immaculate event from being on the planet at first.

Will have to see the film to find out.

Wow, now THAT is a good idea.
    Much better then the idea of her already being pregnant and it corrupting the baby.  It ties in with the "blessing"-to"curse" theme as well.  I think you may have nailed it.
  • Inspired_by_GigerInspired_by_Giger  (2 like this)
    Colonist
    According the rating review, there is a love scene..I would say Hollway gives her a belated gift...
    "Big Things Have Small Beginnings"
  • SargeISdeadSargeISdead  (3 like this)
    Colonist

I still think she is preggers before/during the trip and hasn't told anyone, then when she gets it on with an infected Holloway her baby gets mutated into Cuddles and speeds up the birthing process.

Pure speculation, but I am basing it off some of the "spoilers" and also there is a pic of an ultrasound in one of the stills, though it may or may not be Shaw's. There was something with one of the spoilers where David finds out about Shaw's "secret" and I'm thinking that might be it, though you would think with all their tech that Weyland would be able to see that she was pregnant before the mission. You would think they'd do health screenings like NASA does for astronauts, but quite honestly nothing would surprise given the complete lack of regard the crew seems to have for common sense in the parts of the film we've been shown/know about.

Do you know the difference between Justice and Punishment?
  • seanmlseanml  (1 like this)
    Colonist
    Halloway lives by the motto: Put it in, pull it out, take it home, wash it out.
    And trust me, he'd need to be certain that he washes it out, there being wormy,tentacled std's on the planet and all.
    SpaceBiscuit
    from the rating thing: 
    "...PROMETHEUS also includes some undetailed verbal sex references..."

I think Vickers will call Shaw a whore because of the pregnancy.
  • BonusituationBonusituation  
    Like_A_Boss

I still think she is preggers before/during the trip and hasn't told anyone, then when she gets it on with an infected Holloway her baby gets mutated into Cuddles and speeds up the birthing process.

I don't buy that she gets it on with an infected Holloway.  They seem to do some dumb stuff during the mission, that that would be over the top risky.

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space.
  • virtftwvirtftw  (2 like this)
    Colonist
    riften76 said:

Why does Shaw allow that to happen??
    Was it her choice, or was she tricked by Halloway??
    I think at first she assumes that it is the child she is carrying from Halloway...
    What do you think about Shaw's apparent pregnancy??

Because she's dumb, naive and a misguided religeous girl with daddy issues?

But it's ok. Her screwup gives us something fun to watch.
    *looks down. "my my, big things really can have small beginnings"
  • rabidrangerrabidranger  
    Colonist

I'm not sure what the sequence of events is here, but the fundamental question remains: Is "cuddles" a mutated human fetus (i.e. Shaw and Holloway had sex and she became pregnant before the mission or at least before one or both became infected) or is it the product of mutated Holloway sperm?

• GrizmGrizm  (3 like this)
    Colonist
    Not sure who puts Cuddles in Shaw but,

I think a big hint as to when the medpod c-section occurs is the shot of her staggering and bloodied through the hall. Why would she be alone unless the people that would help her in that condition are already gone and now she's surrounded by enemies (including Company personnel).

I think it happens after Holloway, Ford, and Milburn are gone and obviously before David plays around in the SJ chair room.

I think the scene of David playing around with the ampules and his "big things have small beginnings" scene are when he's about to help Weyland begin his transformation and that is post-injection Weyland in the wheelchair talking to David when Shaw stumbles in and falls to her knees.

Then David and Weyland head to the Juggernaut at some point and Weyland betrays and discards David like he's throwing away a pen that has run out of ink.
  • rlinn100rlinn100  
    Colonist

I don't buy that she gets it on with an infected Holloway.  They seem to do some dumb stuff during the mission, that that would be over the top risky.

As I see it - helmets get removed on their first temple trip and Holloway get's infected with water to his eye, then that night they make the sex. I believe it's the morning after that he goes to the mirror and there's a worm in his eye.

Anyway I agree with your "over the top risky" assessment, but it doesn't stop them.
  • ChevalierChevalier  
    Colonist
    If, as we assume, they make multiple trips, then perhaps because nothing major happens on the first one, they become more emboldened and complacent, thinking it's nothing more than a "normal" archeological dig. Of course, after that, things start getting interesting...

"Oh no! Not the Hall of Death again! The only way out of here is death!" - Mike Dawson, Dark Seed II.
  • HollowayHolloway  (3 like this)
    Colonist
    Everyone always thought seeing the bruises on Shaw's leg during the bed scene (Holloway sitting on the bed running his hands over his head) meant that he forced her. But I think it goes:

They go to the temple where Holloway gets infected and (maybe) doesn't know it.
    The storm happens and they have to get out of there.
    Shaw gets carried off by the storm and Holloway goes after her but she slips away.
    They find her, bring her back to check her out and she only has a few bruises.
    Shaw and Holloway have "omg I thought I lost you" sex.
    Holloway wakes up feeling weird and see's the worm in his eye.

BOOM.
    SpaceBiscuit
    Shaw may rape/force herself onto Holloway because he's emitting crazy alien pheromones and then pass out.
  • kjohnson26kjohnson26  
    Colonist
    Holloway said:

Everyone always thought seeing the bruises on Shaw's leg during the bed scene (Holloway sitting on the bed running his hands over his head) meant that he forced her. But I think it goes:

Shaw gets carried off by the storm and Holloway goes after her but she slips away.

BOOM.

There was an interview with Noomi Rapace in which she said she had lots of bruises after filming a particular scene. It could have been the storm scene although I think that there was a stunt person doing the wire work when Shaw is seen being lifted in the air.
  • tifosi77tifosi77  
    Colonist
    I think that the scene between Shaw and Holloway starts out all lovey and kissy and whatnot.  But at some point it turns aggressive and perhaps even violent towards Shaw.  The picture of Holloway getting up out of bed - with an apparently bruised up Shaw laying next to him - is called "Anguish"; I think that's a big clue that something untoward happened during their rendezvous.  And I think the scene where he sees the squiggly thing in his eye is immediately after he wakes up.

And based on what we've seen in the trailers and whatnot, I think the only logical conclusion (if the foregoing is a correct interpretation) is that Holloway is infected prior to sexy time and his goo gets Shaw knocked up with something icky.
    Perfect organism.
  • bunnypfbunnypf  
    Colonist
    Holloway said:

BOOM.

I'll bet my house that Holloway does not get infected on the 'storm trip'.
    "Once upon a time I was a hell of an Engineer."
  • I don't quite understand this questioning. Either Shaw consensually agreed to have sex with Holloway and becomes pregnant with whatever creature Cuddles ends up being (in some way or other). Or it was forced upon her either by rape, or by some sort of extra terrestrial breeding that is unnoticeable by humans.

I guess my confusion comes from how the issue is brought up in a manner as if it is highly illogical to think Shaw would allow herself to become pregnant. Well...if by an alien...I would hope she didn't AGREE to it...as for allowing it: who says she ever had a say in it? Accidents happen. So do unspeakable acts.
  • SpaceJokeySpaceJokey  
    Colonist
    It would be funny if the guy waking her up in a hazmat suit is 'the morning after'
  • rabidrangerrabidranger  
    Colonist
    There's going to be a religious tie in here I think:

* Shaw has probably known for quite sometime she can't have children (barren)
    * She and Holloway are a couple-and have unprotected sex
    * Whatever Shaw/Holloway are exposed to "cures" Shaw, but in the process results in an abnormal pregnancy (cuddles)
    * Cuddles is delivered via autodoc after an extremely accelerated pregnancy (hours-which mimics the growth of the xeno)
    * A "woman's worst nightmare" is "rape" (the mutation) and something wrong with the "baby" (cuddles)

• CarrotCarrot  
    SpaceBiscuit
    I think something happening to your baby would be there worst nightmare
    (still holding out on shaw loving cuddles)
  • rlinn100rlinn100  
    Colonist
    bunnypf said:

Ok, so there are two returns I know of. One is when the storm hits and one is when Holloway gets torched by Vickers, and obviously the storm one is the first of the two. Are you saying there's a third?
  • bunnypfbunnypf  
    Colonist
    rlinn100 said:

bunnypf said:

Ok, so there are two returns I know of. One is when the storm hits and one is when Holloway gets torched by Vickers, and obviously the storm one is the first of the two. Are you saying there's a third?

No, three trips, two returns (to the Prometheus at least). On the first trip they rush back because of the storm, on the second trip most* of them return because Holloway gets infected. The biggest mystery for me is what becomes of Holloway after his return. He just seems to disappear from the story.

* - I think Milburn, Fifield and possibly David stay in the Dome complex.

"Once upon a time I was a hell of an Engineer."
This discussion has been closed.
All Discussions

Welcome!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Login with Facebook Sign In with Google Sign In with OpenID

Forum Tips

• Bookmark All Discussions to catch all of the action.
• Introduce yourself here.
• Click your username for more options.
Dismiss to unsticky discussions.
Imgur for hosting images.
• Email: prometheusforum@gmail.com
• More forum tips.