Prometheus Forum
We are the Gods now
The BFCA Gives Prometheus a Provisional Rating
  • ViscalViscal  (1 like this)
    Brometheus
    image image

The Critics’ Choice website shows Prometheus as already having a rating (score) from the BFCA, the largest film critics organization in North America. We have good reasons to believe the BFCA are still waiting for ratings from most of its members because the critics in question have yet to see Prometheus. Check out the provisional score here http://www.criticschoice.com/search?s=prometheus .

To give you a very rough idea of the ratings they’ve handed out in the past– The Avengers got a rating of 90, Battleship a rating of 52, John Carter a rating of 66, and The Hunger Games a rating of 81. And to get an even better idea, you can research more ratings on the Critics’ Choice website here.

Thanks to ZsoltiDarkoo for the news!

I wanna go home and party.
  • virtftwvirtftw  (3 like this)
    Colonist
    Eh, what's that score based on?
    *looks down. "my my, big things really can have small beginnings"
  • ViscalViscal  
    Brometheus
    Perhaps this would help http://bfca.org/about.php

At the moment, I'm not sure what the calculation is in order to get a score.
  • BonusituationBonusituation  (1 like this)
    Like_A_Boss
    So what's the link between the forum post screen shot and the BFCA?
    We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space.
    Brometheus
    My guess is someone who's an insider of the BFCA.  So far as I can tell, looking at the person's post history and matching it up with the movies listed here http://www.criticschoice.com, looks legit.
  • BonusituationBonusituation  (1 like this)
    Like_A_Boss
    Thanks Viscal.
    We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space.
  • WintergreeneWintergreene  (1 like this)
    Colonist
    So it seems like they really, really liked it. 
    Brometheus
    This is the homepage to look at (the forum poster in the spoiler tag is still legit, I just used the wrong website...  my bad)  http://www.criticschoice.com/
  • JimmyBJimmyB  
    Colonist
    So it's a review organization? I thought they were the ones who were going to put out a content advisory early. Same people or different? If it got a 90 out of 100 in comparison to the other films that's pretty impressive.

If you search Prometheus on the website you can see the 90 score but not on the opening soon page. http://www.criticschoice.com/search?s=prometheus
  • virtftwvirtftw  
    Colonist
    Are these critics that get paid for their criticism? Or is this an independant review board?

*looks down. "my my, big things really can have small beginnings"
  • ViscalViscal  
    Brometheus

virtftw said:

Are these critics that get paid for their criticism? Or is this an independant review board?

I wish I can tell you this but currently I dont know. I get sent links, half of the time I barely read them because I'm more in a rush to post them online :P
  • WintergreeneWintergreene  
    Colonist
    virtftw said:

Given some of the poor scores given to other films, I'm thinking it's an independent review board.  Things do not look good for Pixar's Brave!
    Colonist

Just did a little research and it is indeed an independent review board. It is a violation of their standards to influence or pay a reviewer. Found here:

http://www.bfca.org/about.php
    Brometheus
    JimmyB said:

If you search Prometheus on the website you can see the 90 score but not on the opening soon page. http://www.criticschoice.com/search?s=prometheus

This helps. Thanks!

**updated the first post**
  • XenaVitaXenaVita  (2 like this)
    Colonist
    Prometheus looks to be all that we hoped. I also hope Brave fucking TANKS!!!
    Fuck Tha Police
    Colonist
    XenaVita said:

It looks very promising. Especially since a crap movie like Battleship was given a 65. I doubt Brave will tank because people love those Pixar films, but it looks like it sucks.

All in all it bodes very well for Prometheus.

• BonusituationBonusituation  (7 like this)
    Like_A_Boss
    XenaVita said:

Why do you hope Brave tanks?  I've never understood why people hope __________ fails when they have zero vested interest in it.  [-(  Does it make people bitter that others have differing tastes?  Some of my favorite movies are Pixar movies.
  • I agree Bonusituation, Pixar films are some of my favorite movies! I'd start listing why for each, but I don't want to get too off topic.

It seems like a lot of films they grade get 90/100 or so, but I have to assume that sometimes it's language that takes it up that high, other times it's gore, I can't wait until we have the full write up on PROMETHEUS from them.
    Stasis: Interrupted ... Fire In Cryogenic Compartments ... Repeat ... Fire In Cryogenic Compartments
  • MembraneMembrane  (1 like this)
    Colonist
    I just looked up a few other movies I think were considered "good" by the "mainstream" just as a reference for myself and thought I'd share.  Granted, these aren't similar genres...

The Dark Knight - 96
    The Avengers - 90
    Inception - 94
    Toy Story 2 - 100

and

Alien - 96
  • XenaVitaXenaVita  (1 like this)
    Colonist
    I love Pixar movies. Do not get me wrong, but after Wall-E I just lost interest in their movies. Cars 2 sealed the deal. Brave seems like overkill for me. I went to the Avengers and the ONE and ONLY trailer was for Brave, which was a terrible trailer. The "jokes" failed to hit their mark. A group of males about 3 rows down booed at the end of the trailler.
    Fuck Tha Police
    Colonist

XenaVita said:

Why do you hope Brave tanks?  I've never understood why people hope __________ fails when they have zero vested interest in it.  [-(  Does it make people bitter that others have differing tastes?  Some of my favorite movies are Pixar movies.
    I also love a good Pixar film. UP is one of my favorites. However, I must confess that I'm disappointed that Brave doesn't doesn't seem, on early review, to be as good as some of their other films. I was excited that it was featuring their first female protagonist. 
  • StasisInterruptedStasisInterrupted  (1 like this)
    Colonist
    Membrane said:

I just looked up a few other movies I think were considered "good" by the "mainstream" just as a reference for myself and thought I'd share.  Granted, these aren't similar genres...

The Dark Knight - 96
    The Avengers - 90
    Inception - 94
    Toy Story 2 - 100

and

Alien - 96

The Dark Knight is as bad as ALIEN? I have officially lost faith in their independent rating efforts!
    Stasis: Interrupted ... Fire In Cryogenic Compartments ... Repeat ... Fire In Cryogenic Compartments
  • XenaVitaXenaVita  (4 like this)
    Colonist
    Alien is not terrible at all. Da' Fuck you talking about?
    Fuck Tha Police
    Colonist

Membrane said:

The Dark Knight - 96
    The Avengers - 90
    Inception - 94
    Toy Story 2 - 100

and

Alien - 96

The Dark Knight is as bad as ALIEN? I have officially lost faith in their independent rating efforts!
    Um....I think Alien is a great film.  I also love Dark Knight, but Alien is a classic.
  • HartleyHartley  (3 like this)
    Colonist

Membrane said:

As 'good' as Alien. 96 is almost perfect.
  • AlienSlimeAlienSlime  
    Colonist
    XenaVita said:

Alien is not terrible at all. Da' Fuck you talking about?

Xena, I believe Stasis' sarcasm meter is at high levels in his previous comment!  :)

Welcome!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Login with Facebook Sign In with Google Sign In with OpenID

Forum Tips

• Bookmark All Discussions to catch all of the action.
• Introduce yourself here.
• Click your username for more options.
Dismiss to unsticky discussions.
Imgur for hosting images.
• Email: prometheusforum@gmail.com
• More forum tips.